[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any /his/-approved board games? Please do tell.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 16
File: pic1064931.jpg (328 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
pic1064931.jpg
328 KB, 700x700
Are there any /his/-approved board games? Please do tell.
>>
File: AmericanSoljurrs.jpg (33 KB, 500x610) Image search: [Google]
AmericanSoljurrs.jpg
33 KB, 500x610
>>946231

Europa Universalis 4, Age of Chivalry the mod of HL2, Mount and Blade Warband, Pirates Knights and Vikings 2, Darkest Hour: Europe '44 - '45, Darkest Hour: Mare Nostrum, JFK Reloaded, Verdun, Knights of Honor, Victoria 2.

Try not to get yourself consumed with this like I do. I feel very weak and my mind feels like a slave to these games.

Also if you want to add me on Steam here's my address: http://steamcommunity.com/id/
PullTheTriggerKillTheNigger/
>>
>>946259
None of those are board games you cuck.
>>
>>946260

Oh, board games. I'd do Risk, but that's really the only boardgame I know about.
>>
File: machmap.jpg (172 KB, 720x932) Image search: [Google]
machmap.jpg
172 KB, 720x932
>>946231

Machiavelli, or, How I Learned Never To Trust A Wop.

Also regular Diplomacy I guess, tho that's a bit kiddie-tier.
>>
>>946231
Diplomacy.

Don't play it with friends you want to keep.
>>
>>946279

Should really be called Borgia desu. Mac was a basic bitch armchair theorist.
>>
>>946231
Diplomacy will always be king of /his/ board games

Twilight Struggle is dope as hell though
>>
>>946279
>>946280
>>946327
I found people like me.

Not good.
>>
Anyone played Axis and Allies? I enjoyed that game.
>>
File: prussian_war_game_01.jpg (80 KB, 750x548) Image search: [Google]
prussian_war_game_01.jpg
80 KB, 750x548
>>946231
How about the original "War Game" developed by Baron von Reiswitz in the 19th century to train Prussian officers?

This game is the predecessor of all war games of today, including Warhammer and alike, and the basis of the later role playing games such as D&D which made use of the war gaming mechanics and further expanded them.

The theories of General von Clausewitz state that in warfare a lot of factors are out of control of the military commander or possibly unknown to him. This is what he called the "fog of war". In that regard, a commander needs to accommodate these unknowns into his military planning. Troop arrivals may be delayed, marching routes may turn out impassable, weather conditions may change, enemies might be of unknown numbers or laying in ambush, orders may not arrive on time or end up being misinterpreted, hostile encounters may end up being decided due to sheer luck.
In order to implement this element of chance, the game introduced something new, which had not been around before in these kinds of games, unit attributes that could be modified by various factors as well as most importantly: dice.

The first version of the game would be played on specially made table that would allow to put together various types of terrain from modular wooden pieces upon which important objectives such as bridges, villages, as well as the various types of units would be placed. Later versions of the games were a bit more low-budget but could be played on regular military maps.
>>
File: prussian_war_game_02.jpg (92 KB, 750x542) Image search: [Google]
prussian_war_game_02.jpg
92 KB, 750x542
>>946797
The game also featured cooperative play, including a chain of command, where certain players would hold a higher rank and delegate orders to subordinate players who controlled a part of the troop collective each. Distance and visibility played a role, a part of the game would be played by taking notes in secret in order to allow for hidden troop movement. Also, the players would have a "physical" representation on the field itself. If they moved too far apart from each other, they weren't allowed to communicate and would have to wait for dispatches of written notes to arrive.
>>
File: prussian_war_game_03.jpg (119 KB, 750x544) Image search: [Google]
prussian_war_game_03.jpg
119 KB, 750x544
>>
File: prussian_war_game_04.jpg (101 KB, 436x600) Image search: [Google]
prussian_war_game_04.jpg
101 KB, 436x600
>>
File: kriegsspiel.jpg (302 KB, 1338x1000) Image search: [Google]
kriegsspiel.jpg
302 KB, 1338x1000
>>
>>946799
>>946801
>>946806
>>946826
Hot damn that's awesome
>>
>>946797
>How about the original "War Game" developed by Baron von Reiswitz in the 19th century to train Prussian officers?

>This game is the predecessor of all war games of today, including Warhammer and alike, and the basis of the later role playing games such as D&D which made use of the war gaming mechanics and further expanded them.

Eh, that chain of influence has to pass through HG Wells' Little Wars, which has only very light influence from Kriegspiel
>>
File: 1386333428226.jpg (236 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1386333428226.jpg
236 KB, 1600x1200
>>
>>946899
>that chain of influence has to pass through HG Wells' Little Wars
Little Wars was actually intended to be a more simplified variant of Kriegsspiel, which was very much aimed at adults and considered very complicated when it came out due to the calculations that had to be done, the many lookup tables, etc.; Little Wars was supposed to be a more family friendly variant. It was however very much inspired by the original Kriegsspiel.
>>
>>946933
Little Wars fortunately has an appendix called "Little Wars and Kriegspiel" that clears this up.

>This little book has, I hope, been perfectly frank about its intentions. It is not a book upon Kriegspiel...
>it is very distinct in relation to Kriegspiel...
>I have had quite a considerable correspondence with military people who have been interested by it, and who have shown a very friendly spirit towards it -- in spite of the pacific outbreak in its concluding section. They tell me -- what I already a little suspected -- that Kriegspiel, ass it is played by the British Army, is a very dull and unsatisfactory exercise, lacking in realism, in stir and the unexpected, obsessed by the umpire at every turn, and of very doubtful value in waking up the imagination, which should be its chief function. I am particularly indebted to Colonel Mark Sykes for advice and information in this matter. He has pointed out to me the possibility of developing Little Wars into a vivid and inspiring Kriegspiel
>... it would be ungrateful to him, and a waste of an interesting opportunity, if I did not add this Appendix, pointing out how a Kriegspiel of real educational value fore junior officers may be developed out of the amusing methods of Little War.

Wells does not indicate any direct experience with Kriegspiel itself, only an awareness of it
>>
>>946965
sorry that came out a bit sloppy

>ass
as

>fore
for

>pointing out how a Kriegspiel of real educational value fore junior officers may be developed out of the amusing methods of Little War.

More detailed and realistic rules follow here, of course

>Wells does not indicate any direct experience with Kriegspiel itself, only an awareness of it

and that largely after the development of Little Wars and its publication in a magazine
>>
Who DBM here?
>>
File: WiFgame pacific.jpg (126 KB, 1478x529) Image search: [Google]
WiFgame pacific.jpg
126 KB, 1478x529
>>946231

Hard to go wrong with world in flames.
>>
>>946965
>>946982
Kriegsspiel came out more than 100 years earlier and it was already quite widespread at the time Little Wars came out - especially after the Prussian victory in 1871. Little Wars may be a high profile title due to the big name of Wells, but it was by no means the first game of its kind; especially naval miniature based war games were quite popular in Britain well before. In terms of seriousness, it should be considered that this game was played with toy soldiers and also involved firing at them with spring loaded cannons. Clearly it has a different ambition than the military education tool which the Kriegsspiel wars and the more complex war games which follow in its tradition and are still played today. In terms of originality, I'd question whether there was no inspiration taken from Kriegsspiel at all. But even if it was independently developed it still was not the first of its kind, nor the original one.
>>
>>947009
>especially naval miniature based war games were quite popular in Britain well before

Interesting - I'd always heard of Little Wars as the key development. Any more info about these?
>>
File: 1898-JanesFightingShipsGame.jpg (536 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1898-JanesFightingShipsGame.jpg
536 KB, 1024x768
>>947024
>>
>>947034
Very cool, thanks
>>
>>946231
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfVGEQrQPzA
>>
>>946260
>you cuck
fuck off retard
might as well call him an SJW shill for the triumvirate
>>
>>946279
>>946280
>>946327
Anyone here have an Android phone? There's a neat Diplomacy app called Droidippy where we could all play together.
>>
>>946231
Space hulk.
Even though its grim dark sci fi, its ceazy fun and tactically challengeing
>>
>>946280
>>946278
I have this problem with Risk. I used to play it with my siblings but they always got angry when playing. I was the oldest so I had the mental advantage. Maybe they were angry because they didn't think they could ever win.
>>
Europa Universalis IV is on sale. 75% off. I'm thinking about buying it. $100 is ridiculous but $25 is doable.
>>
>>951034
The base game can't be $100.
>>
>>951063
for just the game its like 10 dollars now, base game is 40
>>
>>951063
No, it's $100 with the expansions. The base game is $40.
>>
>>951063
The base game is unplayable shit.

At the very least you need Conquest of Paradise, Common Sense and Art of War.
>>
>>948208
Only cucks are triggered by the word cuck fampai
>>
>>951034
Pirate it.
>>
>>951124
I'd rather not.
>>
Find your local war game community, my friend who is a massive history buff goes to conventions for them. It's like warhammer but with models of real things.
>>
>>951130
Enjoy throwing your money to the Swedish Jew while I play it for free then.
>>
>>951153
Since the game's built around multilayer, you're kind of missing out.

Also:
>giving boardroom suits an excuse to impose more nonsensical DRM
>>
>>951153
>not funding media you enjoy
Enjoy being a member of the economically disenfranchised parasite class.
>>
>>951173
Multiplayer in Paradox sucks dick.
>>
>>951201
t. Johan
>>
>>951230
With randoms yeah I guess.
I've done it a couple times with my brother on EU4 though and it was actually really fun.
>>
>>946929
>playing drang nach osten
>>
>>951153
I've notified the authorities
>>
File: wow rags.jpg (46 KB, 629x355) Image search: [Google]
wow rags.jpg
46 KB, 629x355
>>951311
>>
Obnoxious piratfags are the worst. If you pirate things cool. Do it quietly.
Don't mock others for actually buying the product though. That just makes you a faggot.
>>
>>951346
You are literally paying money for something that could be acquired entirely free
>>
>>951346
You are paying outrageous prices for minor technical tweaks m8, you are proverbially getting cucked.

>Yoruba facepack and a tribal drum song
>That'll be 30 dorra plus tip
>>
I like monopoly, Scrabble, and sorry can be fun sometimes
>>
>>951355
>>951366
But if everybody pirated it that thing wouldn't exist.
I pirate all my movies but that doesn't mean I go to the pictures and shout at people for buying tickets to things I see/saw for free.
>>
>>951389
>But if everybody pirated it that thing wouldn't exist.
Good

Paracucks was a mistake
>>
>>951389
YOU CAN'T FILL A BUCKET WITH DROPS OF WATER!
MY MONEY MEANS NOTHING IN THE GRAND SCHEME OF THINGS!
>>
>>951400
I wouldn't say it's that bad.

What I don't get is how nonsensical some of the decisions they've made with regards to DLC have been.

"Hey let's add a whole new aspect to the game in sub Saharan Africa with loads of new nations, ideas, events a new religion and let's also add something completely different with corruption + states and territories all for free."
"Oh but let's charge them £9.50 for some irrelevant Barbary bullshit, an army renting system that probably doesn't work properly and a few more espionage features"

I don't get how that even works out in their minds as something sensible.
>>
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 500x422) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 500x422
>>951434
That or you get a situation like Conclave, which actually makes the game worse instead of better, AND still locks you out of the base game mechanics like changing government types, which if you're a tribal government is absolutely crucial, but isn't allowed because Johans fat fucking face needs more money to buy his daily dose of imported Somali semen.

I will never not be mad, fuck you Paracucks.
>>
Twilight Struggle
>>
If you guys are interested in war gaming you might want to check out the historical wargaming general (/hwg/) on /tg/.
>>
>>952028
This, as well as 1989: Dawn of Freedom.
>>
>>951401
Actually giving them tons of money for useless DLCs only makes them think this policy is viable.
>>
>>952512
That's what he was ironically admitting to.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (19 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
19 KB, 480x360
obviously the classic uropa universalis
>>
File: gsg.png (28 KB, 653x343) Image search: [Google]
gsg.png
28 KB, 653x343
>>951130
/gsg/ literally has a MEGA with the game, all the DLC's, and the activator.
If there's one thing about /gsg/, it's that they're downloads are trustworthy. I've been using them for CK2 expansions since Rajas.
>>
>>952601
But the game is 75% off. Are you telling me EU4 and it's expansions together aren't worth $25?
>>
>>952676
Johan fuck off already
>>
>>952683
It's getting stale.
>>
File: 1449187033382.png (50 KB, 1789x278) Image search: [Google]
1449187033382.png
50 KB, 1789x278
>>951153
Reported for pedophilia
>>
I've heard good things about a game called Empires of the Middle Ages.

Are there any other sort of medieval strategy board games though?
>>
>>951230
Nah, get a bunch of friends together and it's a pretty good time.
>>
>>946929
Looks like a civ5 map
>>
>>946929
>having all those tiny pieces to awkwardly move around
>have to take up several square meters of space for hours or days
Why not just play it on your computer?
>>
I'm starting my first EU4 (with DLC) game. Who is the best faction for newbs?
>>
>>955146
Not available for computer.
>>955148
Prussia, Portugal, Spain, Ottermen. AH and France start and stay way too powerful.
>>
>>955148
>EU4
>American War of Independence
>Also known as the American Revolutionary War. The war broke out in 1775, one of the main reasons being the economic policies enforced by the British monarchy upon its colonies in America. As the war progressed the colonies gained the support of both Spain and France, which eventually proved to have a major impact on the outcome of the war.
What is this commie bullshit!
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.