[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Trans-humanist Question: Would you willingly have your arm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 21
File: Robothands.jpg (53 KB, 634x362) Image search: [Google]
Robothands.jpg
53 KB, 634x362
The Trans-humanist Question:
Would you willingly have your arm removed so you could have a Robotic arm attached?
>>
What is the benefit?

If I replace my right arm it would be fucking weird and I replace my left arm I could no longer fap
>>
Only if it was more functional and didn't come with dealbreakers like:
-no neural feedback
-having to constantly chug anti-immune drugs
-having to constantly fix/buy shit for that arm

I'd plop my brain in a jar as soon as the tech is there.
>>
>>944971
yeah, that's ultimately what it comes down to. if it offers a distinct and obvious advantage without heinous drawbacks, I see no reason not to improve the human body. right now, and for the foreseeable future, the technology just isn't there to make it worthwhile.
>>
>>944946
I would never ask for that.
>>
>>945044
No it isn't. What it comes down to is would you give up humanity for a more powerful/efficient body?
I know I wouldn't. But I don't think there is a definitive answer to it.
>>
>>944946
Seems pointless imo. By the time technology's that good, we won't need anything so destructive, and it'd be for the novelty more than anything else.

We already outsource our minds to smartphones and computers, why do I need a lump of metal to get involved?
>>
>>945942
would you go have a plastic surgery for free that would make you look like ultra-sexy alpha male that makes every girl
wet just by being in their presence?

I probably would.

and same it is with being half-terminator. If it improves me even if it means losing my old human self.. why the fuck not?
>>
>>945942
Humanity is about being a sack of meat and bones?
>>
>>945942
shit, i guess amputees are less than human.
>>
>>944946
Depends on the robotic arm

>>945821
that got a delayed-reaction snort
>>
>>945942
here's a fun question, even if somehow replacing bodyparts removed your "humanity" what intrinsic value does "humanity" even have to a conscious being?

I personally would trade all that made me human in exchange for immortality.
>>
File: Cyberman.jpg (12 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Cyberman.jpg
12 KB, 300x300
>>945942
>>946388
>>946472
>>946484
>>
>>944946
If it is better in every single way, I don't see why not.
>>
Is it blatantly superior to a human arm in every relevant way while also being aesthetically pleasing and/or indistinguishable from a regular arm? Of course, how is that even a question?

I wouldn't get my arm chopped off and replaced with some inferior plastic piece of shit like we have today just to make a point about transhumanism, if that's what you mean.
>>
>>946532
What if it smells, but is otherwise better in every other way.
>>
>>946540
finally my inability to smell comes in handy
>>
>>946540
Depends on how much it smells and how much better it is, can't be sniffing shit just for a better arm.
>>
>>944946
No, that sounds stupid.

I would however give up my biological body at any given point if I could gain immortality that way.
>>
>>946388
Plastic surgery only remodels you.

>>946484
Technically, yes. But would you amputate your own arm willingly to make it robotic?

>>946528
But at what point do you stop being human and start being robotic though?
What if you could replace your brain for a better one?
Most people probably would take robotic enhancements if they could afford it, because why the fuck not. But when do you start becoming a machine and after that, what's the difference between those? That's the real point of trans-humanism, isn't it?
>>
No, because i can't trust that our govs/companies wouldn't meddle with them in some way. I'd rather be handless than have a robotic hand w/a universal backdoor.
>>
>>946700
Would you really though?
If you couldn't even drink your coffee by yourself, would you really care if the FBI can see you wanking yourself?
>>
>>946700

And they probably wouldn't run on free software either. No proprietary arms for me.
>>
Question:

Say you and everyone else in society had the possibility to technologically augment your body. Doing this has no negative effects whatsoever, and your new robotic body parts are functionally identical to your old, organic body parts, only they're objectively better/more efficient.

Wouldn't it be your moral obligation, as a member of society, to technologically augment yourself?
>>
>>946737
Not really, unless you take being physically fit as a moral duty
>>
>>946709

It isn't just that. Imagine if companies/governments could literally use transhumanist machines to control you? i.e some mechanism that affects your brain? Can't trust em
>>
Everyone would given the chance considering literally no other drawbacks that aren't muh humanity. Ethical systems are relative to technological achievements.
>>
>>944946
Well, if it was as good/better then my arm is now. Touch and dexterity and all that.
>>
>>946746
its not as much about fitness as it is about productivity and efficiency. Technological augmentation of the brain and its capacity is included in my question
>>
>>944946
Arms probably not unless I get arthritis. Eyes on the other hand I would definitely replace depending on how safe it is.
>>
>>946762
It would become a requirement for jobs, for sure. But you were talking about moral obligaiton, which I don't think it will be.
>>
>>946781
If you have the possibility of being a better, more productive member of society, with no drawbacks whatsoever and you refuse, wouldn't that be morally condemnable. It sure as hell would be under a utilitarian perspective of morality.

Another way to look at it would be to ask yourself: why wouldn't I want to be a better human being?
>>
>>946815
From a utiliarian perspective yes, but few people actually are. Most just want to enjoy life in peace instead of being the most efficient.
>>
>>944946
If it is better than my regular arm, or is equaly as good but looks cool
>>
File: DXHR.jpg (315 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
DXHR.jpg
315 KB, 1920x1200
Only if it looked real cool
>>
Probably not my arm, but definitely my legs.
>>
>>946932
>no slick built in arm swords
>no typhoon anti personnell grenade launcher built into your back
just augment me now please
I'll even take the neuropozyne addiction
>>
Is it a robot ass arm like in the OP? Or is it some gay flesh lover skinjob arm with rubber over it?

That's pretty much my decision maker. If I wanted to have stronger arms I could work out more. If I want a robot arm i want a ROBOT arm. Needs to be metal and chrome, with rivets and shit in my bones.
>>
>>946947
>metal and chrome, with rivets and shit in my bones
Ugh.

Carbon fiber for me. I want to look slick and be very light and smooth (and 5 times tougher than steel).
>>
Rather :
The Trans-humanist Question:
Would you willingly have your penis removed so you could have a Robotic Penis attached?
>>
>>950628
Twink.
>>
File: 1386763247194.png (6 KB, 248x221) Image search: [Google]
1386763247194.png
6 KB, 248x221
>>944953
>left hand fapping
>>
>>944946

why not just attach a third arm?
>>
Depends on how far along the technology is.
If it has more pros than cons of a regular human arm then yea probably.
>>
>>944946
Depends If I can ROCKETO PAWNCH!
>>
>>944946
You need to consider what putting lead in your teeth already does to your body's magnetic balance. Researchs about this are still ongoing so dunno.
>>
File: Victorgin.png (147 KB, 304x200) Image search: [Google]
Victorgin.png
147 KB, 304x200
>>944946
https://youtu.be/9deKEj8-lng

We all want a little bit more
>>
>>950969
Post that again, but this time make it readable.
>>
File: Cyberpunk soldier.jpg (278 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
Cyberpunk soldier.jpg
278 KB, 1600x1067
>>944946
Depends if I could have shit like built in smartphone or the ability to download shit on my arm.

Oh and multitools.
>>
>>944971
cutting edge prosthesis have feed back.

>>944946
I would replace my legs as long as they were as as good as average fit human. Army ruined my legs. My ankles and hips are just shot.
>>
Deus Ex fans, explain to me how the aug incident would have even happened.
The Illuminate sent signals to people's bio chips to make them have headaches until they had the replacement chip. I get that. That would be easy to manipulate in theory.
But I don't get what the chip contained that would cause them to hallucinate and go feral. The chip likely didn't contain hormones. Just flashing dodgy screamers into their minds wouldn't make them to into rabid murderers on the spot. Simply shocking them loads would just incapacitate them.
The thing that would infer a chemical change in the augmentation process would be the use of anti augmentation drugs to reduce the scar tissue build up
>>
>>946815
There's no burden on those that choose not to. I fail to see the point of productivity, which has nothing to do with morality. At all.
>>
>>944946
No, why would I? The robotic arm would be inferior.
>>
>>944946

If it were as or more functional than my already existing arm, then yes, absolutely.
>>
File: 1459738222951.jpg (47 KB, 400x529) Image search: [Google]
1459738222951.jpg
47 KB, 400x529
If I'd lose a limb in an accident or something then yes. Other than that I've no reason to replace my natural parts with man made shit.
>>
>>951093
Think of it like a seizure combined with a computer virus
The robotic parts start going apeshit because of a glitch in the sistem
>>
File: 1451537184188.png (86 KB, 351x371) Image search: [Google]
1451537184188.png
86 KB, 351x371
>>945942
>not wanting to leave humanity behind
>>
>>944946
Is it better in all ways than my old arm and perform functions that my current one simply can not? If the answer is yes, then so is my own answer.
>>
>>946690
>But at what point do you stop being human and start being robotic though?
When your brain gets fucked with.

>What if you could replace your brain for a better one?
>replace your brain
Durrr. Replacing your brain is literally replacing yourself.
>>
>>950729
Wouldn't do it for less than two.
>>
>>952742
>Replacing your brain is literally replacing yourself.
I might replace my brain over several years. Slowly integrate artificial bits into my neural network. Eventually most of my network would be more based on the artificial bits than my neurons. And then my neurons would die off, one by one, because cells can only go on so long. I'd lose a bit of my self, but not much. It would be like taking a heavy blow to the head and waking up with some bits missing.
>>
If it's better than my normal arm and I don't have to worry about infections at the flesh/machine interface, then hell yes.

I'd also like eyes that can see a wider range of the spectrum, a reinforced spinal column and brain case, a damage-resistant artificial heart, and hyper-efficient lungs that leave space in my ribcage for extra hardware.
>>
>>953100
>eyes that can see a wider range of the spectrum
Would you visual cortex even be able to process that?
>>
>>953110

Neurotherapy and cortex implants, man.
>>
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 549x793) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 549x793
>>944946
If it's powerful to the point I can arm wrestle Hulk Hogan and not just a primitive looking metal rod where my arm use to be I would.

I wouldn't mind becoming a tech-priest
>>
at first I would just Venom Snake my shit up. I wouldn't go further if it involves any significant work. if it was all super easy and 100% safe, I would go full brain in a suit mode. I probably wouldn't go further because I'm pretty sure that there isn't a way to upgrade the brain other than ship of thesius style, and I just don't think it would work out like I want it to.
>>
>>953250

The human body is already a Ship of Theseus.

You aren't the hardware, you're the software.
>>
>>953144
>40000
>wanting to be a xeno worshiping heretic
>>
>>953261
yes, but thats like replacing a wooden ship with metal pieces, it doesn't work the same as adding new wood. Assuming its steel, its a heavy metal, and adding it to one side of the ship can off its balance. Additionally one argument to the ship is that its is the sentimentality associated with the ship that makes it what it is. Like with the rifles from full metal jacket. "this is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine"
>>
File: Transmetropolitan_07_p11.jpg (537 KB, 995x1545) Image search: [Google]
Transmetropolitan_07_p11.jpg
537 KB, 995x1545
>>945942
>>946528
>>946690
>>952742
>>
>>953261

It's a bit more complicated since our software is intrinsically connected to our hardware.

There are observable interdependencies between the mind and the body i.e. the brain.
>>
File: 1366554017204.gif (570 KB, 360x246) Image search: [Google]
1366554017204.gif
570 KB, 360x246
>>944946

>Not wanting upload your consciousness into a computer
>Not wanting to become the god of your own digital realm
>>
File: 3039638-poster-p-1-make-it-so.jpg (406 KB, 1198x674) Image search: [Google]
3039638-poster-p-1-make-it-so.jpg
406 KB, 1198x674
I tried that once.

2/10, would not do it again.
>>
File: BIGBOSSU.png (725 KB, 1320x969) Image search: [Google]
BIGBOSSU.png
725 KB, 1320x969
WHY ARE WE HERE
>>
No, I like my body as it is.
>>
File: TECHNOLOGY.png (232 KB, 1839x537) Image search: [Google]
TECHNOLOGY.png
232 KB, 1839x537
posting it for all the massive fags who said "no"
>>
>>946778
>Eyes on the other hand I would definitely replace depending on how safe it is.

this
>>
File: green-army-men-with-ptsd4.jpg (21 KB, 550x359) Image search: [Google]
green-army-men-with-ptsd4.jpg
21 KB, 550x359
>>944953
hail and well met lefty bro.
>>
File: aki zeta five.jpg (71 KB, 637x358) Image search: [Google]
aki zeta five.jpg
71 KB, 637x358
>>944946
>The Trans-humanist Question
>not talking about replacing the brain in part or whole.

Are you even trying trans human anon?

also
>you will never have qt3.14 borg gf who you are in no way attracted to because sex is irrational.
>>
>>951093
Darrow made his own signal to counter the Illuminati signal and make sure that the world would not pursue augmentation technology after witnessing it's possible side-effects firsthand. What the signal did was stimulate the Vagus nerve, causing hallucinations and radically altering the user's mental functions so that they would go completely insane.

Now, I'm no biotechnician, so I don't know if something like that would actually be possible, but that is the explanation offered in game.
>>
>>953250
ROCKETO PUUUUUNCH
>>
>>952742
what if you essentially uploaded all the information in your brain that essentially gives you a soul (all your memories, your personality traits, etc), wouldn't you essentially still be the same person? Assuming you could replace your organic body with augmentations that perfectly replicate your appearance and you had the capabilities to transfer all of your memories and personality traits to a mechanical brain that had all the functionality of an organic one, then no body would be able to tell the difference right? All the essential elements that people need to observe that distinguishes you as a person separate from everyone else would still be there, so would the material that composes your body even matter? after all, nobody in a social setting distinguishes individuals by the chemical make up of their cells, just what they can observe (this is all assuming that there wouldn't be any negative consequences as well, which obviously would be the case irl)
>>
>>955161
>what if you essentially uploaded all the information in your brain that essentially gives you a soul (all your memories, your personality traits, etc), wouldn't you essentially still be the same person?
The robot may be exactly like you but how do you know you personally would be part of the upload ?
Even if you could copy your mind would you have make a seamless transfer of the consciousness ?

Let's assume it's like electricity : you plug off the old brain, plug in the new. Well it's not the same spark of electricity. It's 100% identical sure, but the first one still disappeared.

Put it this way : it would be you but you wouldn't be it.
>>
>>944946
Only if

1. It was as capable as my organic arm
2. It was MORE capable than my organic arm
3. It looked cool as fuck
>>
>>944946
Is there any benefit to the robot arm?

Like if I was stronger than I could ever be natty, but just as good at fine motor-skill then yes of course I would.
>>
>>955161
I think rather than actually transferring yourself over, you would simply create an algorithm or copy of your behavioral patterns. It would simply be a copy of you, not you being transferred into a new brain or a computer. You'd die in the end and a copy would just take your place.
>>
>>946815
>If you have the possibility of being a better, more productive member of society, with no drawbacks whatsoever and you refuse, wouldn't that be morally condemnable.

that's kinda like saying all people who don't keep their mind and body healthy trough regular exercise and a good diet are morally condemnable [spoiler]I'm ok with that[/spoiler]
>>
>>955278
>>955583
true, you would need to be able to somehow export the individuals experience to a new nervous system. Like, possibly you build this new nervous system in bits and pieces over time, integrating it with your original, organic nervous system, building it up while still retaining your personal, subjective experience of the world around. eventually you'd get to the brain, where you'd replace it piece by piece so as to not shut it off completely at one point. eventually, your entire nervous system would be synthetic, but since its done over time in parts, there isn't a time where your experience has been shut off. instead of building a new brain and copying your personality and memories to it, you replace small parts of the brain with new parts and wire them together with the rest of your brain.
>>
>>955962
(con.)
if this would work the way that im thinking, your brain would start using the new synthetic neurons as if they were new, healthy neurons that the brain produced itself. essentially, mimicking the process of neurogenesis by building new neurons rather than the body developing them from neural stem cells
>>
File: 1460082055695.jpg (103 KB, 736x650) Image search: [Google]
1460082055695.jpg
103 KB, 736x650
>>954734
What of someone pulls the plug on that computer?
>>
Gladly as long as it's an improvement of my current arm and it's upgradeable. Otherwise it'd be quickly superseded by superior technology and getting legacy parts would be a painful.
>>
>You can feel your arm better than a fake one. Being sensitive and organic are not disadvantageous, it is sensitive so you know you own your body and protect it.
>implying i cant do robotics without a robotic arm
>implying i cant do small modification on nerve endings instead of having the whole thing dismembered.
This idea is so fucking stupid whoever look into this is faggot.
/thread
>>
>>946932
it still looks retarded as hell, kid.
>>
>>958989
What if somebody just shoots/stabs you? These are things you just have to deal with.
>>
Trans humanism has the possibility to become a religion or political movement in the future if technology improves to the point a prosthetic works just as well as a real limb or better
>>
Have we solved the "cant fire a cannon from a canoe" problem with limb implants?

is it even possible to work around?
>>
>>944946
much prefer an exo skeleton
>>
>>944946
For what purpose? Even if we could design stronger and faster replacements of ourselves the production cost far outweighs simple biological reproduction. And that's not even taking the brain into account. It will be at least centuries before we can produce such limb replacements for manual labor in a cost efficient way.
The real future is in Genejacks.
>>
>>960099
Explain the problem.

>>962398
Go to bed Yang.
>>
>>953261
what I meant is like the whole muh nanomachines slowly replacing pieces of my brain to make it a machine
but I have my doubts whether it would even work or not
>>
>>944953
Robots are cool
>>
>>944953
>not getting an onahole hand attachment
Do you even /cyb/?
>>
>>954866
>Retarded anime faggot describes the plot of Deus Ex: Human Revolution
>>
>>944946
When the trans-humanist war inevitably happens, I want to be fighting on the side of the humans because computers are cool but I prefer the good old great-ape approach to existence.
>>
>>962544
Bugs Bunny isn't Japanese.
>>
>>944946
I got into a discussion about this sort of topic the other day at work. Considering where I work is populated by almost entirely traditionalists at least 10-15 years older than me, it didn't really take much root.

For the arm question, yes, if and only if the new, robotic arm offered a superior use to my current one. That's a pretty difficult thing, considering my current arm has a wide range of motion, strength, feedback, and is already integrated into my flesh, meaning I'm not maintaining a human body and a robotic part at the same time.

Something more within the realm of current possibilities would be replacement organs, I'd say. I'd replace my current heart with a mechanical one on the same terms as above, with the exception that my current heart is not as useful as my arm (Relatively speaking, yes I know I can't live without a heart) as it suffers from a defect that could lead to a malfunction during over-exertion. Replacing it with a robotic part that can pump blood more effectively and efficiently would be worth some minor inconveniences to work with, especially if it meant I could actually participate in rigorous physical activity for more than a few minutes at a time.

Actually, I believe there's currently a machine that can circulate your blood for you, and due to how it's built, it also removes your pulse (It's a constant pressure rather than a heartbeat, so it can lead to humorous situations like nurses trying to take your pulse and not being able to.).
>>
>>962553
That's what the American studios want you to believe.
>>
>>962576
>mechanical super heart
Just imagine: You could snort all the coke you want with no fear of having a heart attack.
>>
>>962581
Wouldn't it have less of an effect though? Part of the fun of it is an increased heart rate.
>>
>>962603
Cocaine acts on the CNS, so I think your heart rate would increase anyway, provided that the mechanical heart is designed for that sort of thing.
>>
>>950741
How else would you use the mouse? Gotta skip to the right video fragment at the right moment.
>>
>>946737
it would definitely be. but marxist-greenpeace faggotry would still be backwards as hell.
>>
File: NERVE STAPLES FOR EVERYBODY.jpg (169 KB, 291x350) Image search: [Google]
NERVE STAPLES FOR EVERYBODY.jpg
169 KB, 291x350
>>962409
>implying I sleep
>>
>>955025
>>944953
mein brothers
>>
No, but it would be pretty cool to replace all teeth with something durable that doesn't do stupid shit like growing in the wrong direction.
>>
>>965044
Yeah, teeth is all I'd replace tbqh. When people willingly get their limbs removed in favor of machinery is when technology has gone too far
>>
>>967836
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRryhHGa51A
>implying you wouldn't want this
>>
File: 1444869981540.png (131 KB, 297x308) Image search: [Google]
1444869981540.png
131 KB, 297x308
>>944946
Honestly if they were fully functional peices of equipmemt of course I would. You will be stronger and more resilient to accidents. Why would it at all be a bad thing?
>>
Your appointment to FEMA should be finalized within the week. I've already discussed the matter with the senator
>>
>>944946

This is the kind of thread that makes me come to /his.
>>
>>944946

Just admit it OP. You just finished Dues Ex: Human revolution right?
>>
File: 1441975286487.png (346 KB, 524x511) Image search: [Google]
1441975286487.png
346 KB, 524x511
>>967962
I take it he was agreeable?
>>
>>968245
He didn't really have a choice.
>>
>>968248
Has he been infected?
>>
>>968021
More likely he just finished watching hardcore henry
>>
>>953100
I wish I had room in my ribcage so I could suck my own deck
>>
File: neeger moder fuger.png (20 KB, 296x295) Image search: [Google]
neeger moder fuger.png
20 KB, 296x295
If it worked just as well as my current arm and if it was super strong
>>
I've had wrist problems since I was in my teens, which not only affects my day-to-day life, but overall health, since I can only do a small amount of exercises.

Fuck yes. Robo arm.
>>
>>944946
of course, and the real question that all people for trans humanism have to ask is, will we live in a society where these augments are saved only for the elite? or will they be avalible to all? further more does the government mandate or ban augmentation? is the software free or is controlled by a major buisness like microsoft or apple?
>>
>>944946
Pat dont you have more black people to kill?
Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.