[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Everybody is a fucking asshole.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 18
File: Xun Zi.jpg (31 KB, 271x300) Image search: [Google]
Xun Zi.jpg
31 KB, 271x300
Everybody is a fucking asshole.
>>
File: 맹자 Mencius.jpg (18 KB, 306x289) Image search: [Google]
맹자 Mencius.jpg
18 KB, 306x289
Wow...
Calm down...
>>
>>944521
A very based man, that Mengzi
>>
>Giving help to the destitute is both unwise and unfair because it takes from the industrious and frugal and rewards the lazy and prodigal
Why were the Legalists so redpilled?
>>
>>944743
If by "redpilled" you mean "deeply autistic and completely divorced from normie concerns and thought patterns" then sure.

>let's ban music and dance because it doesn't produce food/tax revenue
>>
>>945081
>Muh leisure
>>
>>944510
Man has a strong point.
>>
>>945081
In fact I would say the Confucians and Legalists had an equally good grasp of human nature and the needs of the state but the Legalists then tried to crush human nature while Confucians co-opted it/navigated it.

If you want a modern equivalent, Legalists were gommies while Confucians were the capitalists in that scenario.
>>
File: laozi.gif (62 KB, 236x305) Image search: [Google]
laozi.gif
62 KB, 236x305
>>
File: zhuangzi.jpg (42 KB, 384x296) Image search: [Google]
zhuangzi.jpg
42 KB, 384x296
dude butterflies lmao
>>
Is there some kind of starter guide for Eastern philosophy? I'm Asian by birth but I've only been exposed to Western culture for most of my life.
>>
>>944521
>Korean

For what purpose?
>>
>>945899
Do westernized Asians have identity issues?
>>
>>945899
I would say Analects, but the thing is the commentaries on the Analects are important.

Because they're highly up to interpretation, and some Western Cunts would tie it to new age shit.

...which is funny because Confucius hated being asked metaphysical bullshit. He was a social philosopher.
>>
>>945899
>I'm Asian by birth

Is this supposed to be relevant? For what it's worth, these concepts were mostly Chinese and influenced mostly Chinese with some spattering of Korean/Japanese. It won't help you understand modern Asians, only ancient China.
>>
File: download.jpg (9 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9 KB, 300x168
>dude this one time a fat turk went to Mohammeds house for dinner and ate all the food. so mohammeds servants got really annoyed and locked the turk in his bedroom at night then he woke up and couldnt get out so he had to take a shit in his bed and then sleep in it xaxaxaxaxaxa hey Shams pass the hash pls
>>
File: Mozi_drawing.jpg (20 KB, 319x425) Image search: [Google]
Mozi_drawing.jpg
20 KB, 319x425
Stop being assholes
>>
File: Qin Shi Huangdi.jpg (145 KB, 321x406) Image search: [Google]
Qin Shi Huangdi.jpg
145 KB, 321x406
Y'all niggas need censorship.
>>
>>945922
Top kek, could you give a link to the original poem? I'm assuming that's what this is referring to.
>>
>>945914
all immigrants do
even white americans
>>
File: xiang yu beheads himself.jpg (66 KB, 470x352) Image search: [Google]
xiang yu beheads himself.jpg
66 KB, 470x352
>>945957
Yo Qin, Imma let you finish, but Feudalism is the best government of all time. OF. ALL. TIME.
>>
>>945957
>burying confucian scholars alive
Why was he such an edgelord?
>>
>>945957
>Didn't manage to find immortality like he wanted to
Get fucked
>>
>>946011
Your mum cheats on your dad and threatens to replace you with his children from a big dick duke and your dad's government wasn't expecting you to survive into adulthood.

You try being sunny in that childhood.
>>
>>946020
He has conquered afterlife with his army though.
>>
>>946023
>Her children*
>>
May you live in interesting times, /his/.
>>
>>945975
http://zbohy.zatma.org/Dharma/zbohy/Poetry/huge-eater.html
>>
>>945921
It's probably what impels him to investigate eastern philosophy so i'd say yes it is. Not everyone can be a spookbuster
>>
>>946130
Haha holy fuck, this is my new favorite passage by Rumi. I'm surprised I haven't read this one before.
>>
File: 1445174351621.jpg (102 KB, 624x434) Image search: [Google]
1445174351621.jpg
102 KB, 624x434
Mencius said to King Xuan of Qi, “Suppose that one of the king’s subjects entrusted his wife and children to his friend and journeyed to Chu. On returning he found that he had allowed his wife and children to be hungry and cold. What should he do?”
The king said, “Renounce him.”
“Suppose the chief criminal judge could not control the officers.What should he do?”
The king said, “Get rid of him.”
“Suppose that within the four borders of the state there is no proper government?”
The king looked left and right and spoke of other things.
>>
>>945899
You could read The Great Transformation by Karen Armstrong.

The author gives you an introduction to the great religious and philosophical revolutions that were happening from 1600 to 220 BCE and beyond in India, and China with a comparison with what is also happening in Mesopotamia/Israel and Greece.

Eastern philosophy uses plenty of terms, like atman or wu wei, that a Westerner isn't familiar with, the book will introduce them one by one, in their historical contexts, when they're still revolutionary and innovative instead of commonly accepted, mainstream ideas.

So a lot of these terms that are difficult, foreign and unfamiliar to the uninitiated, each get their explanation one after the other, without the typical infodump that you need undergo to be introduced to .

And should you ever lose yourself or forget one, you also have a glossary at the end of the book.

Buddha, Confucius, Mozi, Mahavira, the Brahmins and Hindu ascetics, Yoga, Huizi... you will get a short introduction to all of them in their historical contexts.

If you find any of their philosophies attractive, you can move on with the books the author credits in the notes, which include primary texts such as the Pali Canon and Analects.
>>
>>948375
>without the typical infodump that you need undergo to be introduced to any Eastern religion.
herp
>>
>>948280
King Xuan BTFO
>>
>>948375
karen pls go
>>
>>948280
kek
>>
File: 1443522028630.jpg (9 KB, 183x275) Image search: [Google]
1443522028630.jpg
9 KB, 183x275
Is all Eastern philosophy literally just fortune cookie aphorisms?
>>
>>949369
Koans are dank as shit though.
>>
>>949369
>Is all Eastern philosophy literally just fortune cookie aphorisms?
That's like saying all Western philosophy is Socratic dialogue.
>>
File: little foot.jpg (26 KB, 364x336) Image search: [Google]
little foot.jpg
26 KB, 364x336
>>948375
>Karen Armstrong
>>
>>950613

It is though.
>>
>>950823
Then why is Kant unreadable?
>>
>>949369
at least it is helpful advice unlike the west's convoluted abstract metaphysics
>>
>>950832
He's not, you're just dense.
>>
>>944510
Absolutely!
>>
>>945922
>literally every hadith
>>
>>950832

Because he's untranslatable and I can't be bothered learning German.
>>
>>951286
>I can't be bothered learning German
I lost
>>
>>951291

Give me one good reason why I should.
>>
>>945905
The great sages were korean according to some koreans. its their version of WE WUZ
>>
>>946020
Every fucking emperor tried that, even the mass murderer Mao himself.
>>
>>951542
So you can read Kant
>>
>>945938

Based Mozi

Literally went around telling people to love each other impartially, while at the same time defending cities and shit with his crew of siege engineers.
>>
>>951830

Nobody wants to read Kant though.
>>
>>952087
Or maybe they... Kant.
>>
File: 49b43029-9301.jpg (19 KB, 500x367) Image search: [Google]
49b43029-9301.jpg
19 KB, 500x367
>>953018
>>
File: 1460070070414.png (149 KB, 464x352) Image search: [Google]
1460070070414.png
149 KB, 464x352
>>953018
ha
>>
>>953018 (You)
>>
>>953018

ebin, simply ebic
>>
>>953018
Somebody please make a webm out of this word exchange
>>
File: well_played.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
well_played.gif
1 MB, 320x240
During an audience with King Zhao, Xunzi told him that he was sorry that there were no ritualists in the Qin administration. The king replied bluntly: “The Confucians [ru] are no use in running a state.” Given their dismal track record, it was difficult for Xunzi to argue with him. Nor could he find an effective answer to his ambitious young pupil Li Si. Xunzi had suggested that if a junzi came to power, there would be peace, because his morality (yi) and benevolence (ren) would be an irresistible force for good. It was a beautiful Confucian vision. The prince’s compassion would radiate from him, like the potency of the sage kings, Xunzi explained; wherever he went, he would effortlessly transform his environment. Such a prince would never attack another state simply to further his own ambition.

>He takes up arms in order to put an end to violence, and to do away with harm, not in order to compete with others for spoil. Therefore when the soldiers of the benevolent man encamp they command a godlike respect; and where they pass, they transform the people. They are like the seasonable rain in whose falling all men rejoice.

“Dream on!” Li Si exclaimed. How did Xunzi explain the success of Qin, which had been consistently victorious for four generations? “Its armies are the strongest in the world and its authority sways the other feudal lords. It did not do this by ren and yi but by taking advantage of its opportunities—that’s all.” Not long afterward, Li Si abandoned Xunzi, converted to Legalism, emigrated to Qin, became its prime minister, and presided over the lightning campaign that resulted in Qin’s final victory in 221.

I don't understand why did Confucians struggle so much with being employed @ court.

I'd hire one, and instruct the others to do the opposite of what he suggests.
>>
File: 1459813090150.jpg (37 KB, 340x565) Image search: [Google]
1459813090150.jpg
37 KB, 340x565
>>953018
>>
File: enough says loli with vp-70m.jpg (119 KB, 839x835) Image search: [Google]
enough says loli with vp-70m.jpg
119 KB, 839x835
>>953018
>>
Chi Wen Tzu used to think thrice before acting. The Master hearing of it said, Twice is quite enough.
>>
>>957771
>Twice is quite enough
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>957783
He meant that thinking three times is too much, and one is too little.
>>
>>957791
Yes but why
>>
>>957796
Ch'eng Hao commented that if one thinks more than twice, self-interest begins to come into play.
>>
File: Dongshan_Liangjie_Image_Zen.jpg (47 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
Dongshan_Liangjie_Image_Zen.jpg
47 KB, 300x450
A monk asked Tozan when he was weighing some flax: "What is Buddha?"
Tozan said: "Three pounds of flax."
>>
>>944510
"the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?”

“Gradually it was disclosed to me that the line separating good and evil passes not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either -- but right through every human heart -- and through all human hearts. This line shifts. Inside us, it oscillates with the years. And even within hearts overwhelmed by evil, one small bridgehead of good is retained. And even in the best of all hearts, there remains ... an unuprooted small corner of evil."

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.