[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What were the motives for Tiberius Gracchus, because I am skeptical
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: Tiberius-Gracchus-.jpg (32 KB, 497x650) Image search: [Google]
Tiberius-Gracchus-.jpg
32 KB, 497x650
What were the motives for Tiberius Gracchus, because I am skeptical they were purely altruistic
>>
>>944314
(OP)
relating to the Lex Sempronia Arigaria
>>
>>944314
What motives did he even need?
What motives would a young politician have nowadays to expose a corruption scheme in the government from which he could gain nothing?
Simple: it would make his career and gain him loads of support from the common man.
Same with Tibs. Who knows, perhaps he was an idealist too, but the point is the situation was so fucked up that solving it would have been common interest rather than altruism to begin with.
>>
>>945025
This

He was young, full of spirit and wanted power. He saw the corruption and dejected veterans, and thought he could gain power and do some good along the way. What he and his bother ended up doing was piss on the government. They paved the way for Marius and Sulla
>>
>>945126
Marius and Sulla not familiar with them extrapolate please
>>
File: sulla.jpg (24 KB, 318x400) Image search: [Google]
sulla.jpg
24 KB, 318x400
>>945155
This is a way over simplification of a complex political upheaval that occurred as a result of Tiberius and his brother, the campaigns in Spain and the Social War. It is also important to note that Marius and Sulla served with each other.

They were two (of the best) Roman republican generals that fought a series of bloody civil wars over control of the Republic.
Marius was elected consul seven times and was dictator multiple times as well. Marius used the same cry for land reform for veterans as the Gracchi, but his ultimate goal was to become the sole ruler of Rome. Side note this guy was Ceasar's uncle.
Sulla, the eventual victor, was a staunch republican. He was eventually elevated to the position of Dictator for Life but stepped down and retired after he thought the republic was safe.

Both men would brutally purge the city of the others supporters whenever they gained control. (This is actually how Crassus got into the real-estate market)
>>
>>945155
The Collapse of Rome: Marius, Sulla and the First Civil War

Will give you a much better look at who these two men were and the complexities involved
>>
>>945297
many thanks anon

also
>>945297
>>945262
samefag?
>>
>>945376
Yeah, both me. That book is very informative and not all over the place like what I just spat out
>>
>>945262
To add on, Sulla actually wanted to have a younger Caesar killed, but was convinced not to. Nonetheless he gave the warning that he saw many a Marius in Caesar
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.