[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /his/, I have a sort of a specific question: What happened
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: felicia.jpg (28 KB, 624x352) Image search: [Google]
felicia.jpg
28 KB, 624x352
Hi /his/, I have a sort of a specific question:
What happened to the german POW held in the Soviet Union after they were released? Were they allowed to go back to the other side of Berlin or Germany if their families were there?

It would be very fucking sad to be finally freed only to discover you can go back home.
>>
>can not go home

fix`d
>>
>Plz respond
>>
>>942038
>german POW
>Soviet Union
>released
>>
>>942134
No, seriously. Every site I search only shows up numbers and statistics. It says that they were repatriated, but don`t say anything about sending them to the other side of the wall.
>>
If they lived through a Soviet POW camp.

No, they were not allowed to go to the other side of the wall in any official capacity.
>>
>>942038
most were allowed to go back home, in fact the President of West Germany, Konrad Adenauer went to the Soviet Union in 1955 and got 15,000 POWs back.
>>
>>942212
>>942182

Ok guys, I don`t know what to believe now.
>>
>>942038
Seeing as most of them got out in 1955, I imagine it wouldn't have been too hard to make it to the other side before the East Germany government clamped down super heavily.
>>
most were out before the crackdown in 1960 happened.
>>
>>942229
They were allowed to go to west Germany if that's where they were from.

Some of them actually joined the reformed German military.
>>
>>942177
What "other side"? Berlin wall was built in the 60s and East Germany was established in 1949, before that there were just occupation zones.
>>
File: gramps.jpg (123 KB, 492x643) Image search: [Google]
gramps.jpg
123 KB, 492x643
>>942038
>>942134
My grandfather survived the camps after the war, but due to having been born in "east" germany he was not allowed back to the west died a few years latter.
>>
Ooh. I'm starting to understand somethings here. Thank you guys.
>>
>>942038

German soldiers in the Soviet union did not survive.

Less than 5% returned to their bombed home.
>>
>>942623
Why do you lie on the internet?
>>
>>942629

Because Im bored and the statistics are faulty.
>>
>>942623
>Less than 5% returned to their bombed home.
Thats from the Staligrad encirclement.
At the very least 75% of total German POWs survived, compared to about 50% of Soviets
>>
>>942408
That expression...
>>
>>942674
>if only you knew how bad things really are
>>
Didn't the new west-german Bundeswehr have a quite a lot of ex-nazis in it?
>>
>>942880
Certainly had a lot of ex-wehrmacht, I think De-Nazification took out a lot of the card carrying party members, but you can be sure as hell that lots of the regular officers held onto certain unpopular views.
Remember kids, the Clean Wehrmacht literally originated as cold war propaganda.
>>
>>942038
everybody in this thread is fucking deluded.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Wall
the Berlin Wall wasn't build until 1961 so there wouldn't have been a problem of getting to your family (if your family was still alive and you managed to survive the Ivans)
>>
>>942038
My great-grandfather got caught around the end of 1944 and was put into some polish POW camp. He was allowed to return to his home in West Germany 1949.
>>
>>942038
I live I Hungary, perhaps not Germany but I've got a few stories too.
One of my relatives was brought to Siberia into a working camp. He escaped with a few dudes and simply walked back home to Hungary. Okay, maybe not walked the entire length, he told lots of stories about how he hid in trains and travelled between villages on horse carriages sometimes for weeks.
My neighbour was released a few years after the war. The Russians one day came to them after they finished working in a stone quarry, they gave them a shitton of beer and drove them to a train station. All of the Hungarians there were allowed to go home. They brought them to the Hungarian border, where miraculously he found one of his old friends as a border guard, he helped him getting home.
>>
>>942038
They were sent to their home sector. My gramps came home in Summer 1948, transferred to the Brits and then released by them.
>>
File: 1450652261389.jpg (90 KB, 951x840) Image search: [Google]
1450652261389.jpg
90 KB, 951x840
>>942886
>Clean Wehrmacht literally originated as cold war propaganda

Spoken like a true bolshevist cuck
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.