[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
For a lot of American schoolchildren the entirety of French involvement
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: gilbert.png (2 MB, 1206x1700) Image search: [Google]
gilbert.png
2 MB, 1206x1700
For a lot of American schoolchildren the entirety of French involvement in our Revolution is boiled down to this one guy's story.

So how is he remembered in France? Venerated? Vilified? Forgotten?
>>
File: Alexis_de_tocqueville.jpg (158 KB, 1031x1382) Image search: [Google]
Alexis_de_tocqueville.jpg
158 KB, 1031x1382
>>941739
Do Americans know about Tocqueville and what he had to say about you?
>>
>>941749
Didn't he praise our democracy and stuff?
>>
>>941749
who cares, he had a girl name
>>
France is known for sending quite a bit of aid and the statue of liberty.
>>
>>941749
The only knowledge of him I learned was through a youtube video. The vast majority of americans have no idea who he is.
>>
The only things the majority of people in the US say about France is the surrender meme. No one knows anything.
>>
>>941749
>great country
>too bad a civil war will fuck it up
>as well as factionalism
>and Russia emergence as world leader
>btw this was penned in the first half of the 19th century
>great country though USA
>>
>>941907
Doesn't exactly take Nostradamus to predict the Civil War and factionalism.
Russia's emergence does have some foresight behind it though.
>>
File: got the cash.png (2 MB, 1619x885) Image search: [Google]
got the cash.png
2 MB, 1619x885
>>941739
His pistols are for sale right now btw, anyone got some cash?
>>
>>941739
saucy postal had something to do with the french revolution? cool
>>
>>941749
>democracy tries to hide the class structure
>>
>>941739
basically a bourgeois stooge. he came back to France as a hero, the French revolution erupted and he became head of the parisian national guard. He was associated with the moderate faction in the national convention and so when the radical lower classes launched a protest on the second anniversary of the revolution in 1791 he had his national guards fire on the crowd, killing dozens. basically, it went all downhill for him from there and he eventually had to flee as the revolution took a more radical turn
>>
>>941739
This guy had the National Guard shot the people during the massacre at the Champs de Mars... should've had his head chopped off.
Backed up the bourgeois in order to break the second revolution of 1830.

He betrayed the people (at least) twice, it's two time too much really.
>>
>>941749
Christfags always portray him as slobbering over our wonderful democracy and religious volk. I actually own a translation of his book, it's one of those 'i'll get around to punishing myself with' things that gathers dust on my book shelves. Nice binding though.
>>
>>943224
>anti-monarchy agitator protest
>lynch people during said protest because DEY SPIEZ N SHIIIIEEEET with no proof
>guard shows up to restore order
>fire warning shots, crowd disperses
>Danton and others show up to cause even more trouble
>agitators throw rocks and fire shots at the guard hitting a dragoon
>fuck it, open fire
Lafayette did nothing wrong, it was just like the Boston Massacre: agitators causing trouble and then crying because people who were in danger defended themselves.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.