[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it true that in the Middle Ages 80% of europe was dominated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: forest-06.jpg (2 MB, 3212x2150) Image search: [Google]
forest-06.jpg
2 MB, 3212x2150
Is it true that in the Middle Ages 80% of europe was dominated by forests?
>>
No.
>>
>>941511
blame st. bonifatius for starting the christmas tree meme.
>>
You just played VTMB did you not
>>
>>941523
what
>>
>>941530
in da batt
>>
File: Braun_Rouen_UBHD (1).jpg (1 MB, 2029x716) Image search: [Google]
Braun_Rouen_UBHD (1).jpg
1 MB, 2029x716
>>941511
Actually nice timber was already getting scarcer in the late Middle Ages. If it wasn't for royal orders I reckon most forests would've been gone by 1500. Small patches of coppiced wood were prevalent though but these supplied only some of the wood needed to keep a village running, larger construction timbers typically had to be shipped or carted in.
>>
>>941571
Europeans generally freaked out when they reached the Americas. When they saw miles and miles of coast with nothing but forests and the scarce Native village with fire pits and enough furs to load European boats for a few shitty knives... they could not contain themselves. Read a manuscript detailing an eyewitness account or reliving their own and you'll find they talk a lot about just how many damn trees they found.
>>
File: 20120912-213443.jpg (294 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
20120912-213443.jpg
294 KB, 1024x768
>>941511
Not sure about all of Europe, but the Romans got busy cutting down all the trees around the Mediterranean years before
>>
>>941762
I've heard that before Columbian contact, the forests were well maintained and were more like groves, but disease violently swept the continent and caused the forests to grow back and this is what French and English were seeing.
>>
>>941775
I dunno about groves, but the north american natives were brutal forest cutters. Smallpox actually briefly cooled the earth, because it killed 90% of the indians and allowed all the forests to grow back
>>
Haha

Fuck no

The forests of Western & Southern Europe were fucked by the Romans
>>
>>941511
Yes, to hide the inquisitions mass graves
>>
File: 1437147121151.gif (1 MB, 351x324) Image search: [Google]
1437147121151.gif
1 MB, 351x324
>>941952
>>
>>941860
native americans set fires to open up the woods for paths
>>
>>941511
Most of Europe lost most of its trees in Antiquity aside from the north. Britain's forest cover returned after the 410 evacuation by the Romans and you'd have shit so large that they were completely impenetrable e.g. the Weald. Most of it was destroyed by the 13th century though, and now all that is left in England is bits of the old New Forest and a couple of small woods.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.