[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm doing a paper comparing the military tactics of the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6
File: ____.jpg (223 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
____.jpg
223 KB, 1600x1200
I'm doing a paper comparing the military tactics of the Crusaders and Muslim armies and I need some sources. Mostly i want to talk about how the cavalry armies of the Muslims were able to raid and light attack the heavier Crusader armies and how the Crusaders had to change their tactics to meet this new enemy. any help would be greatly appreciated /his/
>>
http://legacy.fordham.edu/halsall/source/tyre-cde.html
>>
>>940764
>heavier Crusader armies
What do you mean by "heavier"?
>>
>>940764
One thing the Crusaders did was just hire horse archer mercenaries to bolster their army against the Islamic armies raised against them.

The Alans and Armenians were two famous peoples with light horsemen. Check into them

And which crusades are you going to focus on? There are several large religious wars in Europe and outside of it
>>
>>941300
from what i understand their tactics involved infantry using big heavy shields to protect cavalry until they got in range to let the cavalry charge en-masse making for a slower and heavier moving force where as the muslims used light cavalry with bows and little infantry support
>>
>>941662
the first crusade exclusively
>>
>>940764
http://deremilitari.org/tag/crusades/
>>
>>941683
Okay, the First Crusade is interesting because there was a lot of Islamic infighting before the Crusaders arrived. The Seljuk Turks had fragmented into several nations, while the Arabic Caliphate(s) - depends who you talk to or read from - were also busy competing for territory and the right to be in charge of the religion.

The greatest amount of volunteers for the Crusading armies were the various French ethnicities, Frisians, Low Germans, and Southern Italians. On top of those four distinct groups, a majority were poorly armed peasant folk.
I'm not sure your original idea of "heavier Crusader armies" holding up when for much of the army heavy armor was the greatest luxury next to clean water.
Perhaps remove the adjectives you are placing with the two sides: "To what extent did the Crusading forces of Europe adapt under the pressure of raiding tactics by the Islamic armies during the First Crusade?"
>>
>>941683
>>941728
And here is a dated timeline from an academic website. Look into some of these events for more information. Maybe you'll find what you are looking for
>>
File: liberal idiot.jpg (26 KB, 265x350) Image search: [Google]
liberal idiot.jpg
26 KB, 265x350
>>941743
http://www.umich.edu/~eng415/timeline/detailedtimeline.html#AnchorFirst

It'd help if I actually posted the link
>>
>>941681
It wasn't that simple, however. Both sides had men of comparable training, tactics, and equipment throughout the Crusading era. Most differences on the battlefield came down to different priorities and distribution of recruitment pools and local availability. The Muslims for example also had infantry who used big shields to screen cavalry, some being so effective that they could stop a Frankish heavy cavalry charge.

What skews the image of warfare in the Levant are the major Crusades involving the kings of Europe and the Atabegs of Syria. A king's muster drew up knights who in turn drew up their sergeant footmen, and any other type of soldier had to be hired on as mercenaries. Meanwhile an atabeg's army, lacking the feudal structure of the Franks but more spending money, had a small professional core that was then bolstered by Turkic, Iranic, and Bedouin nomads.

The Crusaders had light cavalry and archers, but they were usually added to their army as needed. The Syrians had heavy cavalry and infantry, but also only added them if available. While Crusader light cavalry and skirmishers were tied up in auxiliary forces from allies or from hunters and marines, Muslim heavy infantry was tied up in urban militias while their heavy cavalry was almost entirely supported by tax farming bureaucracies making them limited in availability though not necessarily in total numbers throughout Syria.
>>
File: 1450540928480.jpg (87 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1450540928480.jpg
87 KB, 960x720
Rather than making a whole new thread, I thought I'd just hijack this one to ask my small question, but one that nonetheless has been digging at me for a few days.

There are tons of versions of the Palästinalied on youtube, but there's a particular one that I can only find on two channels (one appears to just be a reupload of the other, with additional Spanish translation text added), and neither specify who actually sang it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isxvXITTLLY

I've tried searching on places like discogs to find versions of the Palästinalied of the same length, but never had any progress. If anyone knows or can work out the music artist, I'd appreciate it immensely.

>Just ask in the comments!
My response to which is
>having a Google account
>>
>>940764
Mention language barrier s in your paper. Mention the climate of the time period because it was different. Don't forget to mention the Jews and zoros.
>>
File: hendricks_zion.jpg (5 KB, 300x57) Image search: [Google]
hendricks_zion.jpg
5 KB, 300x57
>>942497
Just wanted to bump this to see whether anyone else might happen to know. I won't do it again.
>>
File: 124r.jpg (472 KB, 1248x1873) Image search: [Google]
124r.jpg
472 KB, 1248x1873
>>942497
I'm fairly certain that's an interpretation by Arany Zoltan.
>>
>>944590
>Arany Zoltan
You reckon? I'm looking through lists of tracks by this guy but I can't seem to find anything with the right title. Are you going on familiarity with his sound, or did you come across a source of some sort?
>>
>>944648
What about this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_zjgZJOFl4
>>
>>944716
Ahh, there might be a reason that I'm not seeing this particular version, namely:

>Unfortunately, this video is not available in your country because it could contain music, for which we could not agree on conditions of use with GEMA.
Fucking Germany. At least I know now that there's something else available, I'll proxy it later. Thanks a ton!!!
>>
File: 1390205502394.png (33 KB, 234x347) Image search: [Google]
1390205502394.png
33 KB, 234x347
>>942497
God I love Middle High German music and lit. the 12th century was top tier.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.