[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Arms and armor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 18
File: 1453927331478.jpg (228 KB, 707x1000) Image search: [Google]
1453927331478.jpg
228 KB, 707x1000
Anyone have some good middle eastern armor pics?
>>
>>937432
>middle eastern armor
>good
>>
>>
File: 1452091856344.jpg (144 KB, 736x1045) Image search: [Google]
1452091856344.jpg
144 KB, 736x1045
>>937432
>>
File: Mameluke-in-Full-Armour.jpg (58 KB, 488x599) Image search: [Google]
Mameluke-in-Full-Armour.jpg
58 KB, 488x599
>>937432
Egyptian
>>
File: Seljuk Sipahi.jpg (308 KB, 1008x1505) Image search: [Google]
Seljuk Sipahi.jpg
308 KB, 1008x1505
>>937432
pre-Ottoman
>>
>>939768
Looks mongol t bh
>>
File: mariusz-kozik-camels-cataphract.jpg (480 KB, 1920x1039) Image search: [Google]
mariusz-kozik-camels-cataphract.jpg
480 KB, 1920x1039
>>937432
Parthian Camel Cataphracts at Nisbis
>>
>>939776
The Seljuks were central Asian nomads just like the Mongols
>>
File: 1456894367212.jpg (159 KB, 800x1053) Image search: [Google]
1456894367212.jpg
159 KB, 800x1053
>>937432
Andalucian
>>
>>939780
Yeah but weren't they also influenced a lot by the persians it seems as if everyone was actually.
>>
File: 1459019772270.jpg (160 KB, 944x669) Image search: [Google]
1459019772270.jpg
160 KB, 944x669
>>937432
thus ends my image dump
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 705x973) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 705x973
>>
>>939823
I pull his beard it seems to be the only unarmored part of him.
>>
>>939777
Looks like artwork from Rome 2
>>
>>939853

I think his beard is armor
>>
File: 1457863514883.jpg (317 KB, 640x955) Image search: [Google]
1457863514883.jpg
317 KB, 640x955
>>939853
It might just be a part of the armor m8.
Not sure where this is from but I'm using it to prove my point.
>>
>>939920
>>939922
Why would someone put armor on their beard.
>>
>>937438
kek
>>
File: 1410942061376.jpg (300 KB, 630x960) Image search: [Google]
1410942061376.jpg
300 KB, 630x960
>>939823
Challenge him to contain my tunbescense.
>>939935
For shits and giggles.
>>
>>939977
*tumescence
>>
File: Der Medicus Shah.jpg (275 KB, 1080x699) Image search: [Google]
Der Medicus Shah.jpg
275 KB, 1080x699
There's a (Shit) German film entitled "Der Medicus" which is about an English surgeon studying medicine in the Middle East (the shit part is about the Church actively suppressing medical knowledge despite the fact historically that a: it wasnt and b: fucking church-run hospices were working with Islamic counterparts during the crusades, but this wasnt set in the crusades so eh)

Costume's bangin though. Shah Ala al-Dawla Muhammad. A Daylami noble trying to carve out a dynasty in Iran fighting the Seljuks. Even when he had crippling illness.
>>
>>937432
So what was the difference between a ghulam, a mameluke, a sipahi, a faris, and so on? Were they all comparable to the knight?
>>
>>939935
>Why would someone put armor on their beard.
t. neckbeard/metrosexual without a beard worth protecting
>>
File: Saladin And The Saracens-26.jpg (500 KB, 1200x1611) Image search: [Google]
Saladin And The Saracens-26.jpg
500 KB, 1200x1611
>>940122
Mameluke and Ghulam are roughly the same. "Slave Soldier" basically. Initially they *were* slave soldiers because the Abbasids got lazy and started enslaving Turkics by the boatload to acquire their cavalry skills.

Except these cunts became militarily important that the appellation of "slave" doesn't apply to them anymore. They then became prestigious titles of the Turkic warriors and eventually, during the Abbasid Decline, were a warrior class.

Sipahi are Turkic/ish as fuck and (under the Ottomans) are divided into two. The closest to the knight was the Timarli Sipahi - land-owning cavalry. The other was the Kapiqulu Sipahi - "Door Slave" Sipahi. Despite the name, they're the Sipahi who guard the Sultan and are elite.

Mamluks and Ghulam aren't knights really since a young lad on a light horse with a bow is as Ghulam as a fully armored noble warrior on a stallion. Unlike Europe, Middle Easterners - the Turkics especially- had few problems raising horses.
>>
>>940088
It'd be nice to see concept art of hybridized Western and Middle Eastern armor. You could get a lot of cool looking designs I bet similar to the Winged Hussar look.

>>940122
A ghulam and mameluke were the most like knights, except that their origins as squires who happened to be slaves of an Arabian household became institutionalized while the noble aristocracy aspect became a part of the Faris/Sipahi tradition who also resembled knights, mostly the Italian urban knight but eventually the feudal type as well.
>>
How could these niggas fight in deserts with all that clothing and armor? I don't get it
>>
>>940185
You don't fight in deserts, and you take the armor on and off as needed. A lot of fights and ambushes were decided by which side managed to put on armor faster, or which side had light enough armor to escape.
>>
File: Deli Cavalryman.jpg (50 KB, 531x709) Image search: [Google]
Deli Cavalryman.jpg
50 KB, 531x709
>>940183
>It'd be nice to see concept art of hybridized Western and Middle Eastern armor.
What is Eastern European armor.

You answered it yourself by mentioning the Polish Hussars. The whole concept of the Hussar was established by (take your pick) the Hungarians or Serbs to ape & counter Turkic/ish Cavalry. Particularly the Deli light cavalry that the Ottomans used to devastating effect in the Balkans as raiders.
>>
>>940239
I forgot to say other than Eastern European, like a mix between Ayyubid and Crusader Frankish or Spanish/Southern French and Moorish, or Norman and Kalbid/Aghlabid.

Still, the lion pelt on the horse is fucking awesome holy shit. Did they actually do that?
>>
File: Deli_1590.jpg (38 KB, 468x690) Image search: [Google]
Deli_1590.jpg
38 KB, 468x690
>>940259
That's actually a tamer interpretation of the Deli based on speculation.

Because the period depictions of the Deli are so fucking outlandish, its like being Insane is part of the resume for being Deli
>>
>>940173
I really love this pic. The Persian, in armor, seems so ascetic and civilized compared to the Turks who subjugated him.
>>
>>940311
The one in armor is a ghulam, so is most likely a Turk himself
>>
>>940311
He's a Turk as well but based on Iran.

The picture is about the Great Seljuks, who had a massive Invasion spree that cut through Iran and stopped in Anatolia. The book spits this out loud.
>>
>>940334
Saladin? Wasn´t he kurdish?
>>
>>939756
absolutely baller
>>
>>939823
Grab my battle ready katana and cut him in two
>>
>>939907
>creative assembly, Sega
Gee, maybe it is
>>
>>939777
Sadly just a generic polished concept piece.
McBride's illustrations are so much more lively and beautiful, that guy was a genius, I love his style, there isn't a lot of background but the traditional media and his knowledge of colors and light is just cool, easy yet beautiful
>>
>>940311
They're actually quite similarly dressed, the Turk freeman just looks less civilized because of his hair. Naturally, the drummer isn't going to have spiffy threads either

>>940415
Who mentioned Saladin?
>>
>>939977
>>939988
Nice dub dub-dubs
>>
>>940185
You avoided fighting in the desert, you tried to have ample water supplies and you tried not to fight for very long
>>
>>939796
Once the Arabs had access to Persian culture, they spread it across the entirety of the Islamic world, like Romans did with Hellenism.
>>
>>940088
>A Daylami noble trying to carve out a dynasty in Iran fighting the Seljuks
Daylamites are badass. I wish we could see a movie or TV series that properly depicts them. Greek and Roman sources give tons of praise to them as infantrymen. Even the Arabs wanted to recruit them into their armies and couldn't takeover the Daylamite homelands in northern Iran; they were too mountainous.
>>
>>940122
Faris were absolutely the equivalent to European knights. They extensively trained with lance, sword, axe, javelin, and bow.

>>940239
Muscovite arms and armor in the 15th and 16th century was absolutely badass. They were equipped like Turkic mounted archers, but with access to European gunpowder. They even had portable fortresses bristled with cannon and elite troops on skis.

>>940311
I really love the Turko-Persian fusions like the Ghazanavids, Seljuks, and Khwarezmids. Persian culture is amazing and once you add the martial traditions and energy of Turkic tribes, you create a new momentum for Islam.
>>
>>940185
Pitched battles were only done when necessary. Usually, warfare was decided by the seasons, water supplies, raids, sieges, and then a conventional battle.
>>
>>940334
>The picture is about the Great Seljuks, who had a massive Invasion spree that cut through Iran and stopped in Anatolia
Anatolia wasn't because of the Great Seljuks. It was because of the unruly Turkomans under them. The Great Seljuks didn't want these recent converts to Islam (who were still barbarian to their core) to destroy their invaluable domain of Persia so they sent the troublemarkers far away to raid. Usually, this meant Armenia and Anatolia since they were Christian and easy targets thanks to the disbandment of the thematic armies there.

Manzikert and the subsequent infiltration of Turkic settlers in Anatolia was happenstance, there was no grandiose plan to subjugate the Byzantine Empire by Alp Arslan. Alp Arslan's son Malik Shah was even pissed that a Seljukid state was set-up in Anatolia because it was a direct affront to his authority. The Anatolian Turks paid lip-service to him at best. He offered an alliance with Emperor Alexios Komnenos to attack the Anatolian Seljuks and restore much of Byzantine territory there. Alexios felt that Malik Shah couldn't live up to that promise because the Turkic settlers didn't give a shit about centralized authority except their own chieftains.
>>
>>939792
I would kill to see a big budget film or mini-series about the Reconquista.
>>
>>939935
your face is right behind it?
>>
>>941433
Don't forget that Turks didn't settle en masse until 1073, 2 years AFTER Manzikert. The battle wasn't even that horrific in terms of casualties. What really caused the loss of Anatolia was the civil wars after Manzikert and the local strongmen that wanted to carve fiefdoms instead of joining forces against the Turkic invaders.
>>
>>941378
Ever notice that some of the best troops in the world come from mountainous and highland regions? The Armenians, Georgians, and other peoples of the Caucasus are particularly renown for their combat prowess throughout history.

>>941399
Don't forget the Safavids and Mughals. Even the Ottomans were Turko-Persian for awhile.
>>
>>942056
Not even that. The Turks didn't actually start taking control of Anatolia away from the Byzantines until around 1090 or so. Before then they were like the Normans in Southern Italy before they stopped being mercenaries and founded their own kingdom.
>>
>>942141
>Ever notice that some of the best troops in the world come from mountainous and highland regions?
It's a common factor across the world. Lowlanders have an advantage in agriculture and urbanization, but highlanders are like nomads where their upbringing and political chaos trains them to be hardy and ready for mercenary work for the lowlanders if they're not already busy raiding them.
>>
Any pics of reenactors
>>
>>942204
>Before then they were like the Normans in Southern Italy before they stopped being mercenaries and founded their own kingdom.
It's amazing how much in common the Seljuks and Normans were. Both originated as pagan raiders that converted to their respective form of Monotheism, became great patrons of arts and culture within their sphere, caused untold trouble for Byzantium, and faced one another in the Crusades.

I've always wondered how a Norman/Seljuk fusion would be like? Throw in Byzantine civilization for good measure since both groups benefited from their exposure to Medieval Hellenism i.e. the Norman Kingdom of Sicily and the Seljuk Sultanate of Rum.
>>
>>942421
Don't forget Antioch.

I recall one of the Crusade chroniclers sharing an anecdote about how the Turks and Normans shared some kind of camaraderie, so the similarities doesn't seem to have been lost on them.

Norman Antioch spent a long time in war and diplomacy with the Turks of northern Mesopotamia, and I believe one of its queens tried to marry off her daughter and heir to an emir before the daughter was kidnapped and taken to Jerusalem to keep an Antioch-Turkish alliance from happening.

I also recall both being regulars at the Byzantine court as mercenaries and exiles in early Seljuk chronicles. Apparently both groups got into regular brawls over insults and general competition.
>>
>>942553
>I recall one of the Crusade chroniclers sharing an anecdote about how the Turks and Normans shared some kind of camaraderie, so the similarities doesn't seem to have been lost on them.
I'd be interested in reading that.
>>
>>942599
From the Gesta Francorum on the Battle of Dorylaeum:

>Who will ever be wise or learned enough to dare to describe the prudence, prowess, and valor of the Turks? They believed they could terrify the Frankish race by threatening them with their arrows, as they had terrified the Arabs, Saracens, Armenians, Syrians, and Greeks. But, please God, they will never be as powerful as our men. Indeed, the Turks say that they are related to the Franks and that no man ought by nature to be a knight save the Franks and themselves. I speak the truth, which no one can deny. that if they had always been steadfast in Christ's faith and in Christianity, if they had wished to confess one triune Lord, and if they had honestly believed in good faith that the Son of God was born of the Virgin, that he suffered and rose from the dead and ascended into heaven in the presence of his disciples, that he has sent the perfect comfort of the Holy Spirit, and that he reigns in heaven and on earth; if they bad believed all this, it would have been impossible to find a people more powerful, more courageous, or more skilled in the art of war. By the grace of God, however, we defeated them. The battle took place on the first of July.

http://legacy.fordham.edu/halsall/source/gesta-cde.asp
>>
>>942622
At this point in time, had the Turks converted to Islam?
>>
>>942638
Officially yes, though I think it's kind of like Scandinavian Christianity a few decades earlier.
>>
>>942622
Oh never mind, they did. Alhamdulillah.
>>
File: Egyptian_Army_M60A1_tank.jpg (2 MB, 2914x1942) Image search: [Google]
Egyptian_Army_M60A1_tank.jpg
2 MB, 2914x1942
Close enough.
>>
>>942643
Gesundheit to you, too
>>
>>942645
Get that shit out of here. Post Toyota technicals.
>>
>>942646
Sorry, I don't speak Chinese.
>>
>>942204
The Turks were hired by the Byzantines as mercenaries in their civil war. Turks were even given custody of cities, hence how they were able to infiltrate them so quickly.

The Byzantines fucked up big time after Manzikert. By the time of the 1st Crusade, it was too late. The Turks entrenched themselves on the central plateau and that's incredibly difficult to take from a mobile force of horse archers.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.