[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we start a list of countries with retarded government tr
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: lookatmeimanidiot.jpg (18 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
lookatmeimanidiot.jpg
18 KB, 480x360
Can we start a list of countries with retarded government traditions/procedures? Doesn't matter if they're contemporary or not.

Let's get this started with royal approbation in the UK:
>This video includes the door of the House of Commons being slammed on the face of Black Rod (the Queen's representative) to symbolise the independence of the elected House of Commons from the monarchy. This ritual is derived from what happened when the attempt by Charles I to arrest five MPs in 1642, in what was seen as a breach of privilege. After that incident, the House of Commons has maintained its right to question the right of the monarch's representative to enter their chamber, though they can not bar him from entering with lawful authority.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OpsqHCxZhw

I like the part where the BBC presenters get salty over a commoner carrying the mace.

I'm American. This wants me to move over to England and start a republican revolution because all of these procedures are bugfuck retarded.
>>
>>937363
>The Woolsack is the seat of the Lord Speaker in the House of Lords, the Upper House of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. In the 14th century King Edward III (1327–1377) commanded that his Lord Chancellor whilst in council should sit on a wool bale, now known as "The Woolsack", in order to symbolise the central nature and huge importance of the wool trade to the economy of England in the Middle Ages.[1][2] Indeed, it was largely to protect the vital English wool trade routes with continental Europe that the Battle of Crécy was fought with the French in 1346.[3] From the Middle Ages until 2006, the presiding officer in the House of Lords was the Lord Chancellor and the Woolsack was usually mentioned in association with the office of Lord Chancellor. In July 2006, the function of Lord Speaker was split from that of Lord Chancellor pursuant to the Constitutional Reform Act 2005.[4]
>>
shameless bump
>>
>>937453
>>937363
This seemed cool. Traditions are what keep people in those positions sane. Also it sets a precedent of how things should go about.
>>
>>937363
>salty buttmad OP was stopped from entering the house of commons and the authorities didn't give him the right to enter
>>
File: Crommers.jpg (24 KB, 358x450) Image search: [Google]
Crommers.jpg
24 KB, 358x450
>>937363

>start a republican revolution

The English Civil War started shortly after that, as Charles went to Nottingham and raised his banner against Parliament. He eventually lost, was executed, and the Commonwealth was established.

So the revolution sorta happened, but then stupidly we put Charles II on the throne a few years later and started a manhunt for everyone who signed his death warrant.

I like that tradition. It looks a little silly but it's over 300 years old and it's important to show that the Monarch cannot influence the Commons.
>>
>>937363
>It's an American angry that other countries have culture thread
>>
>>938002
>Monarch cannot influence the commons
This is an idiot protest because they can't actually ban the blackrod from entering on legal grounds.
>>
>>941341
They can ban the Blackrod from entering on legal grounds.

They have not banned the Blackrod from entering on legal grounds.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.