[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was freedom of Media or Press the weakness of Western Democracy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 1433719437.jpg (158 KB, 1200x787) Image search: [Google]
1433719437.jpg
158 KB, 1200x787
Was freedom of Media or Press the weakness of Western Democracy ? It was being exploited and used as pawns by Totalitarian or Communist regimes, several times in the past, most notable is VN war... to create internal strifes in Democractic countries, meanwhile the Commies are pretty much immune, they could easily suppres them.
>>
it's not freedom of speech if there are specific censors just for war

commies are not immune from internal strife from external war
>>
>>936908
No, because it keeps the government from manipulating public opinion to a retarded degree. Also understanding foreign perspectives is a plus.
>>
File: axeface.jpg (37 KB, 414x334) Image search: [Google]
axeface.jpg
37 KB, 414x334
>>936908
and that's why no totalitarian governments ever collapsed the end
>>
>>937137
u wot m8
>>
>>936908
If we had no freedom of the press we'd still be in Iraq looking for WMDs that don't exist.

Vietnam would have been an even greater clusterfuck with more dead Americans and millions more dead Vietnamese.
>>
>>937867
sarcasm
>>
>>937880
I disagree about Vietnam. Without having to worry about election prospects, the presidents would have green-lit far more inhumane policies and essentially wiped the culture from the face of the Earth.
>>
>>936908
>meanwhile the Commies are pretty much immune, they could easily suppres them.
...and adapt to the fucking situation by being more liberal regarding some restrictions. Like what happens in China whenever some shit paints them in the media bad.

You have a strange that communists can easily repress shit my friend.
>>
>>938019
Tian Anmen 1989
>>
File: Mao Laughing.jpg (38 KB, 473x600) Image search: [Google]
Mao Laughing.jpg
38 KB, 473x600
>>937928
Johnson wasn't worried about how it would look to the voters. He was worried about how it would look to this guy.
>>
Napoleon didn't call the press "7th empire for nothing". In reality there's a very small number of truly independent media, most of them are just bound by whatever their editor and owner wants them to publish. "Journalistic integrity" is a meme and always has been.
>>
>>936908
Why is it that every time anything at all upsets the status quo, demands about abolishing democracy, freedom of press, human rights etc. start appearing?
>>
>>939274
Except for the muckraking press in the progressive era.
>>
>>939302
The muckrakers had an agenda as well, for example they exposed the exploitation of workers but weren't exposing communist unions whose sole purpose was to fuck shit up.

It's the same with modern "investigative journalism". A conservative paper will expose the corruption of liberal politician, but will ignore corruption among conservatives.

And modern sports and tabloid journalism is pretty much the worst when writers pretty much invent their sources and pull fictional scandals out of their ass just to generate more clicks / views / subscriptions.
>>
>>937928
>wiping out the culture and people of the nation you're supposed to be protecting from Communist aggression

Good bait, I almost wrote up a full post about ignorant Americans, you almost got me.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.