[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have there ever been any countries which voluntarily converted
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7
File: 1459813394758.jpg (8 KB, 202x184) Image search: [Google]
1459813394758.jpg
8 KB, 202x184
Have there ever been any countries which voluntarily converted to Islam?
>>
>>936718
sweden
>>
Britain, Sweden
>>
>>>/his/
>>
You think Muhammad went around killing every non-Muslim? He conquered non-Muslim lands and encouraged their inhabitants to convert voluntarily
>>
>>936718
I'm not sure they'd be countries in the modern, Westphalian sense, but a lot of polities in what's now Indonesia did so.
>>
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 488x626) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 488x626
>>936723
>>936724
Kek, came to post these but somebody beat me to it
>>
>>936729

>Convert or die
>Jizya
>voluntarily
>>
>>936747
Jizya was just a tax, and not even an egregiously high one. It's just an incentive.
>>
>>936718
south east asia
north caucasus
central asia
some sub-saharan tribes
>>
File: face of eternal butthurt.jpg (15 KB, 300x373) Image search: [Google]
face of eternal butthurt.jpg
15 KB, 300x373
>>936821
I only give you south east asia, and even so they converted because it was the only way to keep those sweet shekels coming from trading, the other ones in the order as you gave them
> What is Ottoman Empire and Muslim Turks
> What is Muslim Mongols and Muslim Turks
> What is Berbers
>>
>>936729
>Muhammad
>Not literally slaughtering entire cities because muh new religion
>>
>>936718
>Southeast Asia
>Some of west and east africa
>Central Asia
>Yunnan
>>
>>936762

>20% to 90%

Sure thing pal
>>
>>937212
>> What is Ottoman Empire and Muslim Turks
They didn't conquer the North Caucasus. That was Russia.
>>
>>936718
Every country in the world. You can't force a religion onto someone, they'll just recant when your dead.
>>
>>937286
Sure you can. Just limit peoples ability to work and live unless they convert and youll get plenty of converts over time.
>>
>>936718
Yeah. After the 8th century, most countries that converted did so peacefully: in West Africa, East Africa, and Southeast Asia, Muslim merchants convinced local leaders to convert.

The exception are the Turkish conquests of Anatolia and the Balkans, but these happened centuries after the initial violent expansion of Islam, and were seen as an attempt to recreate the perceived glory of the old caliphates.
>>
>>936747
"Convert or die" wasn't really a thing
>>
>>937309
>and were seen as an attempt to recreate the perceived glory of the old caliphates
Not exactly. They were an extension of a Turkish court culture transplanted westward starting with the Ghaznavids and leading up to the Ottomans with an added anti-Mongol impetus.
>>
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 150x150
>>937212
>Singapore
>Thailand
>Myanmar
>literally the rest of indochina
>south east Asia is Islamic
>>
>>937331
Vietnam converted partially for a time before the converts were slowly conquered and suppressed, though not completely.
>>
>>936718
Chinese Hui and Uyghur peoples
>>
>>937315
I was taught they used convert or die on anyone who's religion wasn't abrahamic (ie Zoroastrians)
>>
>>937224
The degree of taxation varied with place and time.
>>
>>936718
Somalia.
>>
>>937344

Uyghurs were conquered by Karakhanids
>>
>>937371
Zoroastrians continued to be a thing for centuries though, and only really started to largely vanish in the wake of Timurid and Safavid persecution. Similarly most European pagans were suppressed out of existence, not rounded up and forced to convert under the threat of murder.
>>
>>937403
Aside from the occasional rounding up and slaughter of Jews.
>>
>>937408
They were Abrahamic themselves, making them a special case. Also government suppression was still the norm for most of Jewish history under either Christians or Muslims, with the violent pogroms that involved forced conversions being fairly sporadic and rare.
>>
Indonesia?
>>
Didn't Bosnia surrender without a fight as well? Apart from gorilla warfare resistance movements afterwards.
>>
>>937408
The jews weren't slaughtered, they were led to convert through incentives ;^)
>>
File: kebab removers.jpg (37 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
kebab removers.jpg
37 KB, 500x500
>>938194
>Bosnia
REEE FUCKING REEEEEEEEEE

I dunno about them, but Albania surely did. They even provided the vizirs that poduced the late 17th century Ottoman Revival Concert at Vienna.
>>
>>936741
me too
>>
>>937286
You can.
The moment all your rites have been violently removed from your society and the few fanatics and priests from your ranks have been killed you can only partially teavh your children partially the old ways while they get heavily influenced by the state's new religion.
After some generations the old religion is practically dead.

Interestingly though, a british orientalist in the 19th century recorded that few of the rural arabs in what is saudiland today secretly visited cubic stones at night to pray to when a family member was ill and allah had not shown any things of goodwill yet.
>>
*So a few old habits seem to indeed survive as superstitions even after generations past initial conversation.
Now in the case of Islam, modern salafis and internet imams do a good job at eradicating these leftovers too under threat of succumbing to "the little schirk" .
>>
>>937212
> What is Muslim Mongols and Muslim Turks

Mongol rulers converted willingly to Islam from their earlier tribal religions.
Turks gradually accepted it too, when tribes entered Muslim service as mercenaries.
Even if you might argue that it was only the rulers who became Muslim willingly and then enforced it on their subjects, it was the same with pretty much every other religion, and it wasn't at the edge of a sword.
>>
>>938276
This
The real issue that people have with Islam is wahhabism
>>
>>938286

>The real issue that people have with Islam is wahhabism

Wahhabi doctrine is becoming more and more mainstream.
>>
Bosnia probably. They originally belonged to some heretical sect of Christianity that got oppressed by both the Catholics and the Orthodox, so when the Turks came they voluntarily converted to protect themselves.
>>
>>936718
Is choosing not to be murdered "voluntary"?
>>
>>936718
All Muslim countries.

>Muh government influence
>Muh jizya
>Muh lower taxes

If you exclude those who have experienced the expansion, are still the majority.
>>
It isn't voluntary if you are coerced into converting by having to pay an extra 30% tax due to your religion, just like you can only legally give consent if you have the freedom and capacity to do so.
>>
Vlad the Impaler's brother famously converted to Islam out of love for the Turkish cock and ruled for a while.
Granted, I don't think he tried too hard to convert the peasants to his religion but it's worth noting.
>>
>>936718
Not countries, but my professor did

He's actually a very moderate and smart guy
>>
>>936718
south east asia
>>
>>938216
I was wrong, turns out a lot of infighting weakened them so they were easy prey, but they did actually fight back for a short while.
>>
>>936821
Fuckton of African groups converted
>>
>>938216
>good old fashioned removal of the kebab
>not even an ak
delet
>>
>>942673

Africans convert to anything though, that's what happens when you lack education and more than half your continent is the shithole of the world, you cling onto anything that makes you feel better, or promises to do so.
>>
>>936718
Southeast Asians. Particularly around Borneo and Indonesia.

Muslims Merchants gave mad discounts to fellow Muslims. Tribes who once hated each other's guts now saw no reason to fight each other and some even formed centralized states.

The Philippine tribes to some extent but many remained with their Native-Indianized ways. Though the Muslim ones were far organized.
>>
Bosnia and Albania
>>
File: Nooristani_Man.jpg (175 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
Nooristani_Man.jpg
175 KB, 640x960
>>937286
While I do believe that many converted willingly, you can't ignore the fact that Nuristani people of Afghanistan were violently converted in 1895 when Abdur Rahman Khan was in reign in. I'm sure there are other cases as well.
>>
Using socio-economical "incentives" to purposefully, but not directly convert people is still forced conversion.
>>
>>943013
Except this isn't Jizya, which is extra tax on people already conquered by Islam.

But the guys being talked about here were cunts who had the choice between
>Converting to Islam = Receive these KILLER DISCOUNTS, AND GIFT VOUCHERS!
>Not convert = eh its ok, business as usual.
Nobody fucking forced Islam on them.
>>
>>942980

I'l give you Bosnia

But Albania! man aren't you forgetting one of the greatest kebab removers called Kastrioti Skënderbeu?
>>
>>943013
>forced
>"Obtained or imposed by coercion or physical power/The action or practice of persuading someone to do something by using force or threats"

you're not very bright aren't you
>>
>>942969
borneo is actually the less islamised compared to the surrounding islands, (unless you want to count philippine and papua) dayak people there are majority christians

Ill say the ones who became muslims are the ones who used to be hindu-buddhists, and the ones which control maritime trade routes between china and india, basically why they convert to islam is the same reason they convert to hindu-buddhist in the first place: trades money

you can see from the map that except Angkor, all the SEA trading routes are now islamised, while the rest are not.

in particular there's 3 main muslim ethnic in SEA:
malays, formerly buddhists
Javanese, formerly hindus
and chams in vietnam, formerly both

while the tribal people actually became christian during colonial era
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.