[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lefties and Left-handedness
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: link.jpg (375 KB, 1802x3064) Image search: [Google]
link.jpg
375 KB, 1802x3064
How did left-handers fare throughout the history (and pre-history)?

Is left-handedness a genetic mutation?
>>
It's a sign of being an emotionally unstable fucktard.

t. left-handed
>>
>>936553
Well, I'm a moody person too, but I don't think left-handedness is a sign of it.
>>
>>936543
Lefties are more likely to have certain personality flaws and metal illness, and I think certain kinds of cancer.

However historically they were way better at fighting so the more warlike a people the more lefties they had. Probably less of an issue now because guns are designed for righties and the handedness of combatants doesn't matter.

Lefties are supposed to have more interconnected brains which *may* lead to greater creativity so they might still have a special place it society.
>>
Weren't most Mongolian horse archers lefties?
>>
>>939189
>metal illness
Like Anthraxism?
>>
>>939189
>leftie
>better at fighting
I don't see this happening unless it's an assasination with the element of surprise in societies where people greet by shaking their right hands, as the leftie could use a knife with his most proeficient hand
>>
>>941666
Most right handed fighters practice against right handed people. Left handed people usually practice against right handed people. So when a lefty fences against a right handed opponent the lefty has the advantage
>>
I know that when my dad was young left handed kids were forced to write right handed. Writing with your left led to the teach smacking your hand.
>>
>>942887
China still does this, that's it's such a culture shock to see lefties when they're abroad
>>
>>941695
most left handed swordsmen still learn right handed techniques, as guards and hews mirror depending on how you're holding the sword....if you fight backwards, your guards don't work.
>>
10% of the world's population is left-handed, 10% of the world's population is gay. Gay people are more likely to be left-handed.
>>
File: 1457002998148.jpg (292 KB, 1254x808) Image search: [Google]
1457002998148.jpg
292 KB, 1254x808
>>943789
Pls commit suicide
>>
>>936543

I am given to understand that much of the aversion to left-handedness in western culture got started in the Rome, and no, not merely the "dexter/sinister" thing, either.

I found where I got the above idea. I have a children's book on left-handedness I've just dug out, and it names a usual list of celebrities (and some villains), along with Muh Creativity. It also gives a little history of the experience, and contrasts the right-handed western antiquity (esp Rome) with other places and eras: the right-handed handshake, the roman (later Nazi) right-handed salute, and the left-to-right writing system, all very dextrous activities, are attributed to "Rome", though wiki also traces the handshake to Greece. And although one probably doesn't have to think too hard to come up with another contemporaneous left-to-right writing system, the book goes on to contrast Rome's version of this with ambidextrous Egyptian writing, and apparently even a form of ambidextrous Greek writing (boustrophedon), that I wasn't aware of. Even Chinese vertical writing is not so right-centric. Although this /is/ a mere children's book as I say, some of its story appears to be panning out, especially how all of the above right-centric activities were concentrated in Greece/Rome, thereby informing Western civ.

However, suits of armor are later characterized as being "invariably right-handed", and the thing about muslims reserving the left hand for shit-wiping is also mentioned (in more polite language).

Finally along with the usual list of presidents and various creatives (Escher, Leonardo etc), the book to its credit also lists villains: the Boston Strangler, Jack the Ripper, Dillinger, and Ty Cobb (who was a total asshole). Hm, maybe this is more of a "tweens" book than a little kid's book.

The book also mentions Michelangelo, and gives a cute piece of evidence that the first man was left-handed: on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, Adam extends his left hand towards God.
>>
Just to talk a little bit about the left/right hand advantage, watch the first time period or so of this olympic fencing match:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRJED1eCXww

(spoiler alert: the left handed fencer loses the match, this isn't my point though)

The most important things here to notice are:
1) the tendency of the left-handed fencer to counterattack or riposte so as to hit either outer right side of his opponent's sword arm (following to armpit), or to hit the bottom of his sword arm (following to upper flank).
2) The tendency of the left-handed fencer to stand on far left side of the strip, so that his opponent can't move any more to the side. This does not happen in right-right matches.

The reason why he's doing these things is because when you fight mixed handed, certain advantages are given to having the blade to one side or the other that don't appear in right-right fencing because right-right is a mirror image, whereas mixed is asymmetrical.
To my understanding, similar asymmetrical advantages arise in mixed combat with other weapons. Of course, the righty can take the advantage back by fighting for the advantaged side or using special techniques, but a less-experienced opponent in mixed handed fencing (which would be everyone but other lefties) would not know the advantages or how to make use of them, which gives arise to the idea that lefties are inherently better at swordplay.

It turns out that at the highest levels of fencing, at least, right handed and left handed people don't have significant advantages, it's just that lefties need to use a slightly different set of basic movements (that some fencers might call "tricks").
>>
>>944163

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/07/000710071931.htm
>>
>Left-handed people have been historically persecuted
>More likely to die younger
>To die from accidents due to using right-handed tools.
>More likely to be mentally ill
>More likely to be gay
>Have to buy special scissors
>Phrases like "ambidextrous" and "two left feet" still exist

How can I go about making Lefties a protected minority? We've suffered for our whole lives and I want a piece of the Privilege Pie. How can I start a tumblr or twitter hashtag to gain sympathy?
>>
>>946820
>be left handed but right eye dominant

shooting is suffering desu
>>
>>946847
I know your feel bro. I mean a right handed black can still shoot a damn gun, or write on spiral pad comfortably. Where's my #lefthandsmatter movement? I'm oppressed too
>>
>>936543
i am generally more creative than the average person around me, or atleast more vocal but i don't believe left handedness actually affects anything but permanently dying the right side of my left hand grey
>>
>>936543
As a fencer, I can tell you that fighting lefties is always a bloody annoyance, though more so with saber than foil/epee.
>>
>>942887
It's because being left handed was linked to the devil or something
>>
File: leonardo-da-vinci-06.jpg (159 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
leonardo-da-vinci-06.jpg
159 KB, 1024x768
Some turned out alright right. Like the rest the of us.
>>
>>941695
Medieval sword fighting incorporated both hands and used them fluidly and interchangeably. Knights didn't have a sword hand because both hands could use the weapon with equal efficiency.

There were tricks used that took advantage of someone's weak arm. A good knight tries to discover the weak hand as well as hiding his own.
>>
File: 1459389189106.jpg (18 KB, 505x479) Image search: [Google]
1459389189106.jpg
18 KB, 505x479
>>947357
Find me a single manual where that is true. I have no words
>>
>>947365
Yeah, this. I know that swordsmen practiced with their off hand from time to time, but >>947357 sounds like fantasy bullshit.
>>
>>947365
Im not finding you shit. It's written in some german codex. I study this type of stuff.
>>
>>946774
Watch out for southpaws.
>>
>>947373
>I study this type of stuff.
>only has ONE source
On the internet, no one knows you're a dog.
>>
>>946820
there are organisations that are protecting rights of lefties

at least there is no shit like tying children's left hand behind their backs

as to why it's isn't as visible as other kinds of SFW crusades maybe it's because lefties have to operate with their non-dominant brain to talk and write and form coherent thoughts and and thus are less vocal in general
>>
>>936553 Obama is left handed. So your statement is accurate.
>>
>>942912
Any idea why?
>>
>>948214
isn't it obvious -- uniformity

it's easier to teach X when everyone are the same, X is everything you do with hands from writing to gun wielding
>>
>>947373
I'm not that other guy but if you're going to make a claim that a lot of people find far-fetched, you ought to back it up
>>
>>948341
Not him, but I remember that longsword style is fluid in its stance, compared to sabre stance, in that you can alternate your front foot, ready your sword on either side, etc.
>>
>>949166

Not him, but this is correct.
>>
File: doge.jpg (35 KB, 600x311) Image search: [Google]
doge.jpg
35 KB, 600x311
I am schizophrenic and left handed.

So there is that
>>
>>941666
Look at any combat sport you want, champions tend to be southpaw.
>>
>>936543
In Europe they were told to be right handed most of the time.

In old/medieval French the word for left was not Gauche but something related to sinister.
>>
Can I get disability money if I'm left-handed?
>>
>>947302
Da Vinchi was gay you fag(although im left handed too)
>>
>>949241
>In old/medieval French
Pretty sure it was Latin.
>>
>>953484
Was he not a wonderful gay person?
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.