[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Iranians
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9
File: scythians-in-ancient-ukraine1.jpg (183 KB, 1122x722) Image search: [Google]
scythians-in-ancient-ukraine1.jpg
183 KB, 1122x722
>Iranian tribes used to have a remarkable presence in eastern Europe

Tell me more about these people
>>
>be steppe people
>periodically burst forth into civilized lands and fuck with the sedentary, agricultural cultures there

Pretty standard stuff.
>>
File: cool pepe.jpg (78 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
cool pepe.jpg
78 KB, 499x499
>>935063
Also

>smoke weed erryday
>>
>>935063
How now did the Iranian peoples of Persia become settled into their own land, while everyone to their north and in Europe just melted away?

Avars apparently settled in North Africa with the Visigoths, held land in France for a while, until they also moved onto Spain and this is stunning to me.
>>
Scythians were white
>>
File: 4th Century B.C.jpg (390 KB, 520x390) Image search: [Google]
4th Century B.C.jpg
390 KB, 520x390
>>935063
To say they Scythians were "uncivilized" is a bit much considering they were some of the finest craftsmen of the ancient world.
>>
>>935076
It's not that uncommon for invasions by pastoral nomads to cause permanent demographic changes.

Hence why Germany is named after Germans, Hungary after Huns, and Turkey after Turks.
>>
>>935082
Romans Latinwashed most of the surrounding peoples to make themselves feel superior

>beat Gaullic Celts
"These guys are all fine"
>get beat off by Germanic tribesmen when invading their homeland
"OMG these savages"
>>
>>935082
Yeah I always wondered about this
>Be Scythian/Iranic Horsenigger.
>Have own culture.

>Be Altaic Horsenigger like Mongols, Turks, and whatnot
>Ride on the cultural coattails of other cultures like Iranic, Chinese, or Muslim.
>>
>>935086
I don't understand how that relates to the Avars and France
>>
>>935086
Wasn't the Celts far more advanced than the Germanic Tribes in most cases though?
>>
>>935102
You aren't disshondering the Turks and their invention, the cigarette?
>>
>>935106 was meant for >>935097
>>
File: Springtime.png (416 KB, 639x516) Image search: [Google]
Springtime.png
416 KB, 639x516
>>935102
>wondering why Aryan people have been more innovative

How new are you?
>>
>>935049
Iranians is an incorrect term. Iranic peoples is what you mean.
>>
File: xianbei metalworking.jpg (1 MB, 1649x991) Image search: [Google]
xianbei metalworking.jpg
1 MB, 1649x991
>>935082
>>935102
wew lad
>>
>>935106
I don't know the specifics, but they seemed to have the same level of theology, art, and technology
>>
>>935049
>Iranian tribes used to have a remarkable presence in eastern Europe

They didn't.
>>
>>935190
Jesus, the Xianbei are fucking known by their Chinese name alone.
>>
>>935200
You're wrong
>>
>>935241
Prove it to me then.
>>
>>935202
as opposed to the Scythians? nomads in general left little for the written record, so in general we only have outside sources and their transcriptions of names and identities to go off of. there are counterexamples, of course, namely the Gokturks and their language which we have surviving records of, but what point is there to arguing against "muh Aryan masterrace anyways "
>>
>>935245
Get rekt scrub

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Iranian_peoples_in_Europe
>>
File: Throne_arm.jpg (67 KB, 509x405) Image search: [Google]
Throne_arm.jpg
67 KB, 509x405
>>935190
Less refined t.b.h.
>>
>>935190
>>935202
Xianbei were Mongolic, not Iranic though
>>
>>935256
Circlejerking over Indo-Europeans is fun though
>>
>>935316
Not if you're an üntermensch.
>>
>>935049
What about the descendants of the Scythians?
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ossetians
Pretty fascinating to look at their language.
>>
>>935106
Not sure, all I can so for sure is the Germans were better at fighting, having cavalry the Celts lacked.

Taking over Celtic land may have led to Germanics jacking some of the local tech though.
>>
>>935086
Hungary has nothing to do with Huns, its name comes from the Onogurs.

Moreover, Hungarians call their country Magyarország so this is a moot point.
>>
>>935430
How different are the Celts and Germanics ethnically though? It seems to me that the Romans described them both as being tall with a tendency for lighter hair.
>>
>>935624
Those are both cultural terms, they're not necessarily home to any specific haplotype.
>>
>>935624
>being tall with a tendency for lighter hair
Slavs were described exactly the same way by the Byzzies.
>>
>>935624
Well... that's an interesting question.

See, both of them actually invaded Europe if you got back far enough. Before the Celts were there, the descendants of the modern Basque people (a remnant that survived isolated in N. Spain) lived throughout Europe. The Celts came in, knocked over the Basque's forefathers and set up shop. Might have had something to do with their ironworking.

Anyways, fast forward thousands of years to when Rome was expanding. The medditerranean-sprung Romans met the Celtic peoples of modern day France who they called the Gauls. They also met a newer group they refereed to as the Germanics, who had been pushing the Gauls west and slowly taking shit over.

Fast forward even more, and eventually these Germanics knock down Rome, drive out all the Celts (except those in the far corners of the British Isles), and become the ancestors of modern Europe.

tl;dr Both the Celts and Germanics came from out east and may be extremely, extremely, extremely distantly related (like, probably not, but maybe). I'd recommend reading up wikipedia's articles about them, which iirc talk about both groups genetic history and origins.
>>
>>935624
Different enough to have entirely different languages, anon. Celts were more related to the Romans in that respect. The only example I can think of right now where Celts and Germans truly blended into one group would be the Belgae.
>>
>>935699
They're both Indo-Europeans, so we know they're related, as they are with the Romans
>>
>>935723
But they're related languages
>>
>>935838
Yes, but the Celtic and Italic langauges are often merged into an Italo-Celtic language, whereas there is no such thing as Germano-Celtic.
>>
>>935848
I haven't seen much in the regards of Italo-Celtic being used as a designation, more like how Ingaevonic west Germanic folk didn't have a root language outside of Proto-Germanic, they were only a collection that went under the same changes. Italic and Celtic languages may only be related by Indo-European, but they may have either developed our conserved similar features.
>>
>>936050
*developed or conserved
>>
>>935781
Thank you Anon. It's been a very long time since I studied historical genetics and I couldn't remember how all that played out.
>>
>>935430
>Germans having cavalry
>Celts lacking cavalry
u wot
>>
>>936496
Can't tell if sarcasm or genuine thanks, but I hope I did help
>>
>>936641
Genuine. I've been out of academia for a while now. Busy with just getting by after college.
>>
>>936668
No problem m8. Linguistics really help me keep track of cultures, cultural relations, and cultural origins.
>>
>>935049
Scythian descendants known as the Sarmatians and the Alans migrated through Eurasia and across the Danube into the Balkans and around as far as Poland and the Ukraine. The other Iranian and Iranic nomadic tribes were eventually wiped out from Central Asia by the the middle Middle Ages period due to frequent incursions by Turkic and Mongolic peoples.

The core of Iranian people now are in parts of Iran, the Gulf states, Iran, Caucaus, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, and parts of Pakistan.
>>
>>935106
Pretty much, they had Oppida instead of simple villages.They had coinage, roads, and were some of the best smiths of their age.Not to mention their wagon technology.
>>
>>935430
>Germans were better at fighting, having cavalry the Celts lacked.
>having cavalry the Celts lacked.
>Celts
>Lacking Cavalry
Celts had fucking cavalry.

In Western Europe they were considered the prime cavalrymen matched only by the fucking Iberians.

In fact continental Celtic culture survived in the Roman Cavalry during the late republic and empire because shitloads of the Cavalry Wings were manned by Celts or their descendants. Epona- the Celtic goddess of Horses- entered the Roman Pantheon because of them.

Germans only git gud in Cavalry when the fucking Steppe Nomads were raping them.
>>
File: 024.jpg (175 KB, 856x787) Image search: [Google]
024.jpg
175 KB, 856x787
>>938079
neat
>>
>>935430
>>935097
What is all this talk of jacking and beating off?
>>
>>935049
>Iranian
The word you're looking for is "aryan"
>>
File: Cataphracts_picture1.gif (116 KB, 567x314) Image search: [Google]
Cataphracts_picture1.gif
116 KB, 567x314
How do Sarmatian cavalry rank?
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.