[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/his/ approved youtube channels?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 8
File: maxresdefault.jpg (73 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
73 KB, 1280x720
/his/ approved youtube channels?
>>
inb4 john green
>>
>>933747
Yale Courses are pretty comfy. They have full lectures by people like Donald Kagan that are really interesting.

Also, I know they get shit here but School of Life and Academy of Ideas are actually not that bad. They're really good as an introduction to ideas before diving in.
>>
>>933747

:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT2z0nrsQ8o
>>
>>933764
Yeah, I'm really interested in knowing what's so wrong about School of Life.
>>
>>933789
Just that it's considered babby's first intellectual research. There is a stereotype that people who watch it will stop there and not go any further with their research. It's similar to people on /mu/ hating Animal Collective for being babby's first experimental band
>>
>>933789
Leftism.
>>
>>933789

its kinda douche and pretentious

also his voice is extremely annoying
>>
>>933789
Liberal douche bags who push their politically correct watered down philosophy
>>
>>933789
The problem with School of Life is that philosophy can't be crammed into 5 minute videos.

Most people want that to be true however, so that they appear smart after seeing a couple of videos, but if you really want to learn about it, you need to watch comprehensive lectures, or actually read the philosophers themselves.
>>
>>933853
Once you find Wisecrack you see The School Of Life as very cool Goys.
They are not against capitalism, but only want to improve it, meanwhile Wisecrack just quotes what every marxist says
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW9oF3OPzqQ
This video made me unsuscribe
>>
>>934243
>That video
Don't tell me there are people who actually believe that?
>>
>>934243

I tapped out on their trump video. I dont even like Trump, but I couldnt stand their bullshit about how "omg hes ruining how nice the elections used to be!" meme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_zTN4BXvYI
>>
>>933789
They get a lot wrong, misleading, spreading misinformation. If you're curious reddit has posts about it in more detail.
>>
secular talk imo
presentation is a bit cringey, but clearly well-informed and rational arguments wrt to politics.
>>
>>934243
>This video made me unsuscribe

Why? This is actually one of his best.
>>
>>934493
what did you like about it?
>>
Real Crusades History
>>
>>934312
>reddit
>>
File: 1439347110252.jpg (57 KB, 484x404) Image search: [Google]
1439347110252.jpg
57 KB, 484x404
>>934680
>Catholic Revisionist History
>>
>>934738
Why are you quoting that portion of my text? Are you trying to say something?
>>
>>934760
>cited discussions and podcasts with noted authors
>"lmao catholics r dumb don't change my history god bless protestantism btw"
>>
>>934790
>>cited discussions and podcasts with noted authors
>Still has to make up shit and avoid any sources that contradict him

God bless Luther indeed
>>
File: 1459198408882.jpg (147 KB, 464x348) Image search: [Google]
1459198408882.jpg
147 KB, 464x348
>>934790
RCH is notorious for being extremely Catholic biased. You won't hear anything negative about Catholics (and even if you do you'll hear that actual, minor punishments were good enough). The purpose of this channel is to shit on everyone who's not Catholic, just watch how they handled 4th Crusade. It's like saying that responsibility for Opium Wars is exclusively Chinese since they tried to protect their own in their own country.
>>
>>934871
The autism in his Assassin's Creed video was amazing.
>>
BASED Caspian Report.

Its got History, Geopolitics and other types of vids all neatly organised.

Props to the presenter aswell for speaking in such a way he does not bore you whilst relaying rather in depth knowledge.

The average video length is around 15 minutes, sometimes it comes in multiple parts. Definitely worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/user/CaspianReport
>>
>>934738

Still hating reddit.

>current year.

Anyone is interested in geopolitics

Center for Strategic & International Studies channel is great but its probably best to go through their site which lets you narrow the focus down a bit.

2nd caspian report his series on islam was great.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr2d4As312LulcajAkKJYw

Mainly just cooking but this channel has gotten me more interested in anything surrounding the 18th century in quite a while.
>>
>>933747

youtube.com/readbooksniggers
>>
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned extra history yet.

https://youtu.be/hDsdkoln59A
>>
>>933850
As a /mu/tant I concur
>>
>>935381
Holy shit Extra Credits has come a long way. I remember watching videos as far back as the Escapist days.

Haven't really been keeping up with them in the last 2-3 years though. Might get back into it.
>>
File: stefavatar_400x400.jpg (40 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
stefavatar_400x400.jpg
40 KB, 400x400
pic related
>>
>>935619
Biggest hack going, and he's got an ugly face.

I've a friend who bought into his bullshit, now it's nearly impossible to have a conversation without him bringing up some cringy bullshit. This guy is a borderline cultist.
>>
>>934243
Thug Notes is pretty good (breaks down plot even if it does oversimplify and also gives interesting analysis) but most of the channel is awful.
>>
>>934243
>video games are a capitalist conspiracy
This video gave me cancer
>>
>>933747
The Great War is really good
>goes though world war 1 every week exactly 100 years after it happened
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreatWar
>>
>>933789
found this excellent paragraph explaining why they suck in the /lit/ guide to philosophy
>The reason being a very important one, the level of philosophic depth and seriousness and real pedagogical potential of these listed would be commonly referred to as “pop philosophy”. They talk about philosophy (specifically philosophers that would generate page views) but water it down so much (to 5 minute videos) it’s not worth your time, you are actually better off finding some obscure channel who doesn’t bow down to any superego injunctions to make everything somewhat entertaining. The last two[School of Life and InspringPhilosophy] are just degenerate. Just avoid any channel claiming that philosophy will make your life better because that’s what these people and youtube channels sell pop philosophy as. Not saying philosophy couldn’t improve your life but it’s a red flag you should be keen on the rare chance philosophy springs up in the public discourse.
>>
File: detailed.jpg (55 KB, 678x678) Image search: [Google]
detailed.jpg
55 KB, 678x678
>>933747
I learned about Spinoza through them, and bought; On improvement of the understanding and Ethics. I like Spinoza because I am a Naturalist/Pantheist.
>>
>>936560
>degenerate
Hello buzzword
>>
>>935788
I just finished Storm of Steel and I'm hungry for some WW1 information.
>>
>>933747
The School of Life

>Listen to these philosophers who eschew consumerism and material wealth. Virtue is the sole good!
>By the way, be sure to check out the School of Life online store where you can buy a nifty philosopher's jumper for $300.
>>
File: notabene.jpg (31 KB, 699x409) Image search: [Google]
notabene.jpg
31 KB, 699x409
Is Nota Bene the french John Green or a good teacher/storyteller?
Should I keep believing what he says?
>>
>>933888
>implying right wingers aren't politically correct as well
They want to ban abortion because of muh feels.

They're just as bad.
>>
>>933764
>>933789
>>933850
>>933854
>>933938
>>936560
Ok, so what are the alternatives? Any good recommendations out there?
>>
>>937932
Read a book
>>
>>933789
It disagrees with my personal views, thus its absolute salvageable garbage and should be illegal.

... is what everyone is thinking, but nobody is saying.
>>
>>934790
>"you see, even muslim source X agrees that this or that happened!!!"
>never quotes source X ever again, and often contradicts it

Basically cherry picks sources without any apparent system or reason, just picking things that he would prefer were true and building a narrative.
>>
>>934936
>>935017
>CaspianReport

Mah nigga. Excellent political insight about a region that most serious media doesnt touch outside of reporting on bombings.
>>
>>937982
I've read a couple books, but they're so narrow in their scope that I only get informed on a very specific part of history.
You need to start out with a baseline, a general overview of world history for then to later go deeper.
What books do this well?
>>
>>934871

Except that in his podcast he and other authors point out several times that even though medieval Europeans took faith seriously they were by no means saints. And goes on to point out how many knights were very unchristian.

His basic point about the crusades is correct, whether you like it or not. Modern depictions and narratives of the crusades display it as a shrewd political maneuver from a cunning Pope Urban and everyone who took a part in the crusade was just out there for land graps. He disagrees with this and points out that medieval Europeans took their faith seriously.
Hating someone just because they are Christian is moronic.
>>
>>938138
>His basic point about the crusades is correct, whether you like it or not
So is John Green's
>>
File: todor.jpg (273 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
todor.jpg
273 KB, 960x640
>>935631
But he agrees with /pol/, and thats all that matters.
>>
>>938143
Why
>>
>>938138
>Hating someone just because they are Christian is moronic.

Loving someone just because they are Christian is moronic.
>>
I like AntiCitizenX, even though I don't always agree with his fundamental assumptioms he always make a coherent and comprehensive argument on a subject.
>>
Im surprised nobody has mentioned Ancient Recitations
>>
>>938212
>liberal

If it disagrees with /pol/, its not approved by /his/.
>>
>>938138
>His basic point about the crusades is correct,

The point of history is to argue over minutia.
>>
>>938235
Except when you don't actually care about history and just want an arsenal of contrarian soundbites to argue with other people who don't actually care about history.
>>
watch the great war
it's great
>>
I know he's not on youtube, but what do you guys think of Mike Duncan?
>>
>>938218
Sargon doesnt tend to get political on that channel, he justs reads things
>>
>>938382
(lacuna)
>>
>>937932

>>933764>>933850here
If you still want easily digestible stuff I would recommend Academy of Ideas. It's not perfect but it's definitely much better than School of Life. Their videos are longer and more accurate (they do still contain mistakes just not as many). They mainly focus on philosphy. They also don't have a ton of videos up but I assume they're working on that.

As I said in my first post, the Yale Courses is great if you are willing to sit through a series of college lectures. I'm in the middle of the Greek History one and it's fascinating. They have some amazing professors
>>
>>935381 personally i think their stories are a bit exaggerated to make them more attractive
>>
If you're interested in WW1, British Pathé does a great channel called the Great War. They do a week-by-week coverage of WW1 as well as specials; videos 10 to 15 minutes long, not super in-depth but very well researched
>>
>>938383
kek
>>
File: aq.png (128 KB, 409x240) Image search: [Google]
aq.png
128 KB, 409x240
Are you ready, /his/?
>>
>>933747
BBC Radio 4 has some cute /phil/ videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/bbcradiofour/playlists
>>
>>933789
They sometimes skip or soften some ideas to make them more "contemporary".
>>
>>935177
Yeah some of his videos are pretty interesting
>>
>>937924
>hurr durr you're just as bad as them Not him but Right wingers give me a new way to look at things out of the usual "liberal" school of thought, which might not always be better but often makes you think and come to conclusions yourself.
I don't subscribe to political ideologies or a certain kind of attitude toward problems, but I tend to take into accountant the more conservative point of view often now, because they have some valid arguments as well, even if they're just a front for their not so "nice" real opinion
>>
>>938087
There is a difference between dumbing everything down, putting a liberal twist on it the and selling that revisionist garbage as content to gullible people who gobble it up because
>i can know da philosophies too
and having a different opinion or preference.
>>
>>938218
It's not about /pol/, liberals just tend to be douchebags with an extremely high opinion of themselves and their rhetorics and a sense of moral superiority because they are supposedly tolerant (read they don't really care about shit that doesn't affect them so they can claim they tolerate it). Liberals as well as Right wingers also tend to spin everything so that it fits into their own little comfort zone version of the world/history which makes them pretty obnoxious when it comes to getting information because they're heavily biased pretty much all the time, my problem with that is that nowadays one is the norm and one is pretty much avoided and that liberals get a pass on anything.
>>
>>940623
Fuck meme arrows
>>
>>934936
It seemed fine until he did a report on immigration in Europe. It became obvious that he didn't know shit. I live here I see how bad things are.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.