[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Teach me Vietnamese
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 183x275) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7 KB, 183x275
ITT: Teach me Vietnamese
>>
>>>/int/
>>
Da xi da xi
GO HOME G.I.
>>
File: VPAgirl2.jpg (127 KB, 500x834) Image search: [Google]
VPAgirl2.jpg
127 KB, 500x834
Vietnamese /his/torian here. What do you wanna know OP?

Vietnamese is s tonal language, so you may have some trouble with it.

>inb4 du ma mau di di mau
>>
CHẾT ĐẾN MỸ
>>
>>931793
Nah nigga. I'm linguist. Pronunciation and tones aren't hard.

Teach me the basic phonetics, tones, sentence structure. And a few words of vocabulary: Nouns, verbs, all that shit.

Just so I can formulate basic thoughts and sentences in the language
>>
>>931801
Go home Viet Cong. You're ruining my 'Merica
>>
>>931804
Alright. If you know Mandarin or Cantonese though, Vietnamese will be a little easier for you, since a large part of Vietnamese is Sinic.

There's a ton of rules about the Vietnamese language, so it's impossible for me to tell you everything. I'll give you a basic rundown.

It Vietnamese, there are 6 accents in the alphabet: The low tone (Dấu Huyền), high tone (Dấu Sắc), heavy tone (Dấu Nặng), two sort of "question" tones (Dấu Hỏi and Ngã), and no accent.

The tricky thing about these accents is that dau nga and dau hoi sound exactly the same, but if used incorrectly can make completely different words.

Vietnamese also has accent letters in the alphabet. These include ă, â, ê, ô, ơ, ư. You're gonna want to google how to say these because I can't necessarily describe them to you via text. These can be used in combination with the accents mentioned above. For example: Mặt trơì (sun)

Another thing to note is that there is a d and đ character. d sounds like "yuh" while đ sounds like a D in English. Changing them around words can created new words. Same with the letter g. Adding or removing it at the end of a word can change it . For example: gian (Eg. Ăn gian, cheat) vs giang (Quá giang, cross a river)

Many words in Vietnamese are "two part" rather than just single words, as you can see in the above examples. There's a ton of stuff in the language that would take whole encyclopedias to explain, but I've given you the basics.
>>
>>931869
What about the grammar? Case systems? Conjugation?

How would I say: "You are very pretty" ?
>>
File: 1433716437.jpg (130 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
1433716437.jpg
130 KB, 400x600
>>
File: 1377711533826.jpg (107 KB, 640x853) Image search: [Google]
1377711533826.jpg
107 KB, 640x853
>>
>>931917
To say "you are very pretty" can be said in numerous ways, depending on who you talk to, and how old the person is, their status, etc.

If it's to a random guy than you, you would say "anh". For a girl it would be "chị". However, if they are younger than you you would say "em", although em is used more for younger siblings and people in a relationship (Eg. if I had a gf, I would refer to her as "em" while she calls me "anh"). These pronouns also transfer to family. Older brother is "anh, older sister is "chị", but younger sister or brother is referred to as "em".

As a general rule to be polite, just refer to people you meet on the street as anh or chị, unless you know for sure they're older than you, then refer to them as "chú" for males, but "ông" for old men. "Cô" is for women older than you while "Bà" is for old women. These pronouns are also applicable to family members. When it comes to family, it can be as complicated as Chinese.

Aunts on your mom's side are "Dì", while dad's side is Cô. Uncles on your mom's side is ̣Cậu and on the dad's is Chú. Grandmothers on mom's is Bà ngoại while on the dad's is Bà nội. Grandfathers on mom's side is Ông ngoại while on father's side is Ông nội. And this isn't even talking about cousins/special cases or other family members and friends.

Vietnamese is a grammar heavy language. There's are several ways to say something is beautiful, and I honestly cannot name all of them, but a general word for beautiful is "dẹp". In many cases, there's a word to describe certain particular things in a specific way. For example, xanh lá cây is leaf green, xanh lè is like an ugly green, xanh biếc is emerald, etc.

Learning Vietnamese accents and pronunciation is one thing, but learning grammar is another demon. But, tl;dr, if I met a pretty girl in Saigon, I would say to her "Em dẹp quá" (I'm using em to be a little flirty here).
>>
>>931981
Thanks m8.

Time to use this on a viet-qt at school
>>
File: 1399732946623.jpg (129 KB, 530x401) Image search: [Google]
1399732946623.jpg
129 KB, 530x401
>>
File: Viet niggers.jpg (89 KB, 960x856) Image search: [Google]
Viet niggers.jpg
89 KB, 960x856
>>932004
>tfw I accidentally helped some pasty white kid try to hit on one of my countrywomen

Jesus what have I done. Saw it coming though, especially with the pics and 2nd post. I'm too passionate about my language. You most likely won't make it, she's probably too smart to fall for your false Vietnamese.
>>
>>932004

du ma may thang cac my trang
>>
>>931981
wow, thank you very much anon
>>
>>931740
They are fucking shit

t. Mark
>>
File: marki.gif (3 MB, 360x179) Image search: [Google]
marki.gif
3 MB, 360x179
>Mark Wahlburg walks in
>VIETNAM FUCKING SHITS carried out
>>
>>933255
Marky Narc and the Nigger Faggots- my favorite classical artist of the Baroque period
>>
>>931740
I live in a country with a huge Vietcong minority and all their girls are ugly as a sin. No reason to learn it.
>>
>>932026
Welcome to 4chan, enjoy your stay.
>>
>>931740
Vietnamese is legitimately one of the most hideous languages I can think of
>>
>>931804

If you're a linguist why are you asking on a fucking Malaysian watercolour discussion board instead of looking up a grammar in your school's library?
>>
>>934884
Arabic is worse
t. Arab
>>
>>934884
nuh uh that aint mandarin
>>
>>931740

Vietnamese are cool people and all but their language is just too damn hard. Not to mind that they speak it differently in the North than in the South.

I'm pretty sure after 3 weeks there I still was pronouncing "hello" wrong.
>>
>>937076
Only if you're some maghrebi caveman. Fus7a is based.
>>
>>937399
I taught my friend to say it by telling him to say jow. Close enough for my grandpa kek
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.