[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has converting to Islam ever been acceptable in Western society?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: timecube chan.png (192 KB, 500x493) Image search: [Google]
timecube chan.png
192 KB, 500x493
Has converting to Islam ever been acceptable in Western society? It seems it was pretty frowned upon in the pre-20th century era, and then in the pre-9/11 era it had negative connotations with groups like the nation of Islam, and then after 9/11 it became even more suspicious for a Westerner to convert. Was this always the case? Are there any examples of prominent Europeans who converted to the faith of Mohammad?
>>
What was Islam like before Wahhabism?
>>
>tfw no Muslim Europe

Imagine how much greater mankind could have been if near Asia and the Occident had been united.
>>
>>931582
Adolf Hitler admired Islam, and many people in the 1800s had a romantic view of it. But otherwise no. The reason Islam never really "took off" in the West, is because we have a very long history of conflict that continues into the present day.
>>
>>931600

>Islam completely forbids alcohol
>Considers dogs to be unclean

These two reasons alone are enough to ensure that Islam will never become dominant in the West.
>>
>>931582
In the 19th century it was trendy for proto-weeaboos.

In the 16th century, it was trendy for pirates.
>>
>>931607
You could argue Christianity also has some weird restrictions but no one follows them because 1) they're cultural Christians and 2) some believe the New Testament nullifies the Old Testament laws
>>
>>931622
Yes, but the difference is

1. Christianity actually has centuries old respected copouts like that, Islam does not.

2. Christianity does not mandate religious expansionary warfare and subversion.
>>
>>931599
Like Christianity during the Renaissance. In the good places anyway.
>>
>>931622
>some

guy raised non-denominational protestant here (basically the regular white american christian sect)

untrue about the second part, that's literally what we're told. fundies like pulling deuteronomy but I would say that the vast majority of read christians in america at least believe that the NT nullifies the OT.
>>
If you do it, you're probably black.

And that will never be accepted in Western society outside of academia.
>>
>>931643
>vast majority of read christians
>read
That's the thing, I don't think it's a stretch to say that a large part of the Christian population hasn't even read the Bible, same could probably be applied to Muslims and Quran. Correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>>931653
>same could probably be applied to Muslims and Quran
Not really. A ton of us even memorize it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hafiz_(Quran)
>>
>>931599
Read A History of God by Armstrong. The book goes from the origins of the 3 great monotheisms to the contemporary era.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.