[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dan Carlin's Hardcore Histories discussion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: HH-current-239x239.jpg (21 KB, 239x239) Image search: [Google]
HH-current-239x239.jpg
21 KB, 239x239
What's your opinion on Dan Carlin? Is he a meme historian or is it actually good?
>>
He's not a historian
>>
This again?
>>
Some people say... Dan Carlin... is not a real HISTORIAN. I want you to think about that for a minute folks.
>>
as others have been saying, he's not a meme historian because he's not a historian, so that just makes him a meme merchant
>>
>>929679

I think people should just read books and go straight to actual sources.
>>
>>929679
If you want to listen to a good and brief podcast that covers history, philosophy, and science then I would recommend In Our Time by Melvyn Bragg on BBC Radio. Otherwise, stick to books.
>>
>>929679
If you put one of his podcasts at half speed, then it sounds like a drunkard is telling you about his views on history.
>>
He does not claim to be anything he is not and his podcast is entertaining.
>>
>>929679
The way he reads the names of people reminded me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7FixvoKBw

In a lot of his podcasts he will repeat the same lessons, as seen in the 'Apache Tears' and 'Romancing the Tribes'
All of his nazi tidbit stuff is him murmuring that he doesn't support the nazis but he loves finds them interesting and he says this ten times an hour.

But goddamn does he kill it in the Khan episodes and King of Kings and Death Throws of the Republic.
>>
>>931003
I disagree with your second point.
>>
File: 1455844737670.jpg (278 KB, 516x1633) Image search: [Google]
1455844737670.jpg
278 KB, 516x1633
>>929748
top kek
>>
He's entertaining, for the most part fairly accurate but is off enough where you shouldn't consider him a primary source. Faggots on here will hate him because he is popular
>>
>>931305
>primary source
he isn't a reliable secondary source, never mind primary what the fuck
>>
>>931282
What is the name of the first, second and last? (from top to bottom)
>>
>>934515
>what is google
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Course_of_Empire
>>
File: photo.jpg (92 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
92 KB, 900x900
>>931305
This desu. I work a job where I need to drive/do other tasks and I like having something to engage my brain, but really dense and detailed history audiobook are too much to process and understand completely.

Dan Carlin is perfect for that and for a subject you may not know a lot about, but might be interested in. If you listen and want to know more afterwards, there ya go.
>>
>>934571

same here. If I'm gonna be working by myself all day I'll put something on that is stimulating like this. If I want absolutely serious history I'll read a book at home.
>>
>>931126
wow cool!
>>
>>931355
you misread the post I suggest taking reading comprehension
>>
File: 1454473527561.png (176 KB, 528x447) Image search: [Google]
1454473527561.png
176 KB, 528x447
>>934592
Pro tip: don't fall for the history audio books meme. I got a few, and while they are well read, it's really difficult to understand them if you are doing anything else that may cause you to miss a small detail.
>>
>>934633
>for the most part fairly accurate but is off enough where you shouldn't consider him a primary source
What part am I missing here? I'm saying that he's off being a secondary source, and not considering him a primary source should already be implicitly understood here and not worth mentioning.
>>
>>930209
this. I'm listening to an episode on logic rn
>>
>>929679
>Is he a meme historian
Dude he tells you in almost every show that he isnt a historian and everything hes telling you is his version of events as he understands them. Hes like a modern folk tale storyteller in that aspect.

Every show he has done has got me interested in the events he has talked about too so I suppose hes done his job. I really love listening to the guy and I think hes a wise political commentator too, though he does have some problems.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.