[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Spengler right? Is history just an infinite cycle of cultures
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: serveimage.jpg (40 KB, 317x480) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
40 KB, 317x480
Was Spengler right?

Is history just an infinite cycle of cultures rising, peaking, and dying?

If so, when did the West begin to rise? When did it peak? When did it start it's decline? When and how will it fall?

What even is the West?
>>
I doubt the British empire will ever collapse
>>
>different cultures and civilizations rise and fall gradually over time
>"WOW SO SHOCKING THIS IS SO MYSTERIOUS, I THINK I SEE A PATTERN HERE, LIKE, WHAT IF THE WEST TOO, LOOOOL"

Reminder Spengler is for literal autists
>>
Academics don't take Spengler very seriously. I haven't read him, so I can't give you my opinion on the matter.
>Is history
History is the progression of Being through time. There's nothing infinite or cyclical about it. There are observable patterns that we can use to make inferences given certain conditions, but whether or not there is a univesral 'theory' of history according to which X is true is a different story entirely.
>when did the West begin to rise?
Probably with Charlemagne, sometime in the 13th century, or during the Renaissance. I don't know which.
>When did it peak?
The Victorian era.
>When did it start it's decline?
Whether or not it's in decline is questionable. Western civilization is capable of restructuring itself. If it doesn't currently resemble its 17th-century self, that's because it had to change to adapt to centuries of shifting conditions.
>When and how will it fall?
It will probably be the Jews' doing.
>What even is the West?
The idea of Freedom, demonstrated in history.
>>
>>929667
I mean, he was the first to actually point it out. He even mentions in the intro how he's amazed a principle so obvious hadn't ever been formulated before.

Moreover, most modern day historians ignore it. The great fallacy is that we are now in the "modern" age, and that at some point in the future, we will reach an equilibrium, like an apocalypse, a world government, world peace, etc., and the world will then proceed to just be one stable utopia.
>>
>>929706
>The great fallacy is that we are now in the "modern" age, and that at some point in the future, we will reach an equilibrium, like an apocalypse, a world government, world peace, etc., and the world will then proceed to just be one stable utopia.
No one with half of brain believes that shit
>>
>>929706
Literally no one believes that except maybe High Schoolers.
>>
>>929622
everything that can go up can go down and often does eventually, that doesn't necessarily mean there is a set cycle
>>
>>929706
>I mean, he was the first to actually point it out.

Point what out? That empires rise and fall? He certainly was not. That the West is falling? Literally an opinion, and he's not the first there either.
>>
>>929706
>empires rise and fall
>Tunisian sandnigger said the same thing in the 14th century
wew lad
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.