[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I dumb? I honestly, earnestly have tried to force my way through
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: martin-heidegger-2.jpg (75 KB, 900x750) Image search: [Google]
martin-heidegger-2.jpg
75 KB, 900x750
Am I dumb? I honestly, earnestly have tried to force my way through Sein und Zeit, but I cannot comprehend the majority of it.
>>
>>928738
There's nothing to comprehend there. Academic philosophers want tenure. They don't produce anything and seek to suck the wealth out of the more productive members of society via public jobs. They need to write in an obscure fashion in order to hide from society the paucity and vacuousness of their ideas, otherwise society might begin to question why do we pay them a salary int he first place, instead of having them do something more useful and dignified such as flipping burguers or lifting and carrying stones.
>>
>German philosophers
>French philosophers

Poseurs. Just read Wittgenstein.
>>
>>928835
>>928858
Autists detected
>>
>>928858
Are you Jewish?
>>
>>928874
>Autist
>Not a being-aware-to-one's-self-as-an-alienated-being-thrown-out-there-in-the-universe.

Alienated pleb detected.
>>
>>928738
What else have you read in philosophy?
>>
>>928835
>>928858

I dis-cover the non-being-ness of your giving-consent-with-the-mind-without-proof in modern dis-coverers-of-being causing of a profound anxiety-in-the-face-of-no-thing-ness, therefore identical with the human condition of throwness-into-the-world.
>>
>>928858
>analytic fedora
Wittgenstein read Heidegger and a bunch of people you probably shit on without much thought.
>>
>>928984
Bertrand Russell was into Hegel for a while and spent a good portion of his career advocating a form of Platonic realism, but that doesn't stop people from saying he was too stupid to get Continental philosophy just because he invented quantifiers.
>>
>>928738
Are you reading it in german or not? It's one of those books.
>>
If you're reading it alone, then yes you are dumb.
Go take a course or something, you aren't learning Heidegger alone in a basement.
>>
no you're not dumb it's one of the most difficult books to comprehend in philosophy

this is because not only due to the very 'subtle' subject matter, but also heidegger was an incredibly shit writer, he was really bad at being clear. and also he wrote in german and actually invented a whole fucking bunch of new words in the book in order to explain his ideas, which get further confounded through the translation to english. and also the book isn't actually finished it's only 1/3 of what he was supposed t write

if I was you I'd just read online a summary of the book.

basically what heidegger is talking about is what we exist as/what existence is. he says basically we're always embodied within a world, and there are many different ways of approaching the world. so for instance we can see a tool as an object with space and dimension as we do in science, or in everyday life we see the toool as something to be used. likewise we see our own bodie in these two ways

what he says is that the primary mode of being is the use way. and that the scientific traditoin has it wrong in saying we primarily exist in a world of mass/size/dimension etc. well not wrong just kind of mistaken as to what's primary

he also goes way more in depth than that and talks about time and death in this disgusting dense phenomenology language, talks about self others etc etc

you are not dumb for not understanding it, don't jsut try and force your way through it if you don't grasp it's a waste of time just read a summary book it's too difficult
>>
>>929012
He wasn't into Hegel; he was into British Idealism, which had some basis in an interpretation of Hegel. That Russell's own descriptions of Hegel's thought in his history of philosophy don't match literally anything in Hegel is what leads people to suggest he didn't fucking know shit about Hegel.

>>928984
Wittgenstein (who I like a great deal) *maybe* read Sein und Zeit, but more likely only read the essay length lecture "What Is Metaphysics?" and nothing else.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.