[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did the Assyrian civilisation collapse?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 13
File: IMG_5630_jpg_thumb.png (623 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5630_jpg_thumb.png
623 KB, 800x533
Why did the Assyrian civilisation collapse?
>>
Babylonians conquered them.
>>
>>928528
jews
>>
>>928530
It was actually a coalition of Babylonian and Median armies that toppled the Assyrians.

>>928528
Too oppressive, extremely heavy handed policies even by the general standards of the Near East at the time. Uprisings, rebellions, and revolts were a constant thing across the territories and provinces of their empire that continued to strain their manpower.
>>
>>928528
Middle Easteners have a tendency of destroying everything they create. Damn you for not leaving so much as a stone standing from cities described in ancient sources.
>>
>>928528
Are modern Assyrians even related to the historic Assyrians?
>>
File: Assyria.png (61 KB, 1165x595) Image search: [Google]
Assyria.png
61 KB, 1165x595
A Civil War that turned to a Pancountry-ish War. The Babylonian wanted to regain his power and independence, as we remember, they were a satellite state, as other sub-nations, like arameans. The assyrian state, after his golden age, became weak very fast, even with his allies, couldnt resist the war. By 612 the army got Nínive and destroyed the well known library. The Assyrians managed to do a resistance by a few years, but, at the end (609) the Babylon reborn in a new golden age.
>>
>>929510
>not leaving so much as a stone standing from cities described in ancient sources

Isn't it more likely we just don't know exactly where the cities were? I can't see how it would logistically possible to completely destroy an entire city, even today.
>>
>>928564
Not entirely untrue.
When the Assyrian army under Sisera came to attack Jerusalem, they camped outside overnight and were wiped out by an angel (plague), hence sparing the kingdom of Judea for a little while longer. I would imagine that this die off of a great deal of their army would hurt, but likely not be the reason for their demise.
>>
>>929510
Fuck off /pol/
>>
>>928528
It didn't. They've continued until today. If you mean the Assyrian empire, then being so barbaric and brutal that it pissed off all the surrounding groups including the Medes, Babylonians and Lydians.
>>
>>929713
Oh you religious retards
>>
>>929890
this
>>
They pissed off everybody else around them for generations by repeated and frequent war crimes like needlessly destroying cities or massacring civilians. combined with retarded political choices that rendered them vulnerable, they had nothing to defend themselves from the huge coalition of foreigners just wanting to eradicate assyrians from earth. after niniveh fell, nobody ever wrote a word in assyrian again.
>>
>>929577
about as much as italians are related to romans.
>>
>>929713
I love that I can't tell whether you're trolling lol.

There really should be a magic board for you guys, this board is reserved for reasonable discussion.
>>
>>930372
Here, I'll save you the time and fedora tip myself and everything
>>
>>929510
>Damn you for not leaving so much as a stone standing from cities described in ancient sources.
???
>>
>>928528
Women.
>>
>>930068
>combined with retarded political choices that rendered them vulnerable,
I like how they started a civil war in the middle of being assraped by the coalition of Elamites, Medians and Proto-persians.
>>
>the assyrians were cartoonishly evil because the bible said so
wew
>>
>>930427
I didn't get my education on Assyrian history from the Bible, being a non-Christian. But that's what was printed and used in the textbooks on Assyrian history and culture I had in middle and high school.
>>
File: Socrates.jpg (65 KB, 289x400) Image search: [Google]
Socrates.jpg
65 KB, 289x400
>>929987
>>930372
his point does have a bit of "Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass" quality about it, though, if you consider that in the eyes of everyone who was alive to witness the event, for the Assyrians (the nightmare army of doom that you did NOT want sacking your city) to march all the way up to Jerusalem just to get their shit pushed in by a plague would have interpreted it as God's salvation, for the same reason that the word "kamikaze" exists.

We're talking about a culture that existed about 1,900 years before the concept of science was invented in a medieval Catholic university. A solid 500 years before the classical Greeks even invented the idea of inventing new ideas. In those days religion was more than just your thoughts on the supernatural, it was your entire encompassing theory on the way the world worked.

Though why it's tolerated in 2016 CE is anyone's guess
>>
>>930427
Thy might not have been "evil" whatever that mean, but they certainly were brutal conquerers even for their day, impaling the populace of cities they conquered and what not.
>>
>>928528
Did you even play Age of Empires?

half of /his/'s questions can be answered just by playing the campaign
>>
>>930372
I'm going to talk to a friend of mine to see about getting one like that up.
Religion is far more fun when you can randomly throw it around on the internet to people who hate any mention of it
>>
People don't happen to like being skinned alive, burned, sliced in half, behead and then having said head used in a head pyramid, or being buried alive very much. Assyria's armies are comparable to Chaos warbands in Warhammer in terms of how brutal and fucked up they were.
>>
>>930603
Thanks for the backup, but what I see as a common problem is the division between history told by religious texts and history told by middle school textbooks. I acknowledge that the stories probably didn't happen in exactly the way they happened (especially with all the metaphors everywhere), but I find it even harder to believe that the basic gist of this stuff didn't actually happen, as basically everyone on this board has told me repeatedly. I think that until I see solid archeological evidence which determines that an event could not have possibly happened, I'll take the burden of proof off of the account written by someone who was actually there at that time.
Save me the atheist-triggered "God is dead" posts please, I'm saying this as a personal, intellectual belief, not an absolute truth.
>>
>>928530
Wrong
>>928564
Wrong
>>928581
Right but not full
>>929510
Wrong
>>929616
Not full
>>929630
They did the same to everyone

Ironically enough it was because of Racism. Unlike us romans they couldn't pacify the regions they conquered.

It's a mixture between a local cult instead of a concept faith and the fact that they had to own Babylon because most of their energy came from there.
>>
>>929577
Yes we are.
>>
>>931542
Everyone agrees on them being the most evil fucktards around.
>>928528

Read Vale To Babylon if you wanna know more, it's by one of the best economists and it also helps you know why America lost Iraq.
>>
>>928528
They must be inbred as shit
>>
>>931572
Right but not full, also, most of the sources didnt come from Babylon but from North and West. I must say that the correct answer come from a lot of things we are saying.
>>
File: lamina 38.jpg (28 KB, 453x595) Image search: [Google]
lamina 38.jpg
28 KB, 453x595
>>
>>929713

Why are you calling Jesus a plague? Is He not the most badass warrior ever, killing 185,000 seasoned troops in a second?
>>
File: lamina 62.jpg (22 KB, 461x603) Image search: [Google]
lamina 62.jpg
22 KB, 461x603
>>
>>930372
There should be a board for people who study history and don't believe any historical documents. Oh wait, there is. /b/
>>
>>930609
So, skinning a man alive, and impaling him on a stake to die, is iffy in your book on whether or not that's "evil".
>>
File: lamina 6.jpg (64 KB, 625x689) Image search: [Google]
lamina 6.jpg
64 KB, 625x689
>>
File: lamina 2.jpg (46 KB, 598x830) Image search: [Google]
lamina 2.jpg
46 KB, 598x830
>>
File: lamina 1.jpg (34 KB, 519x386) Image search: [Google]
lamina 1.jpg
34 KB, 519x386
>>
File: lamina 72.jpg (56 KB, 613x743) Image search: [Google]
lamina 72.jpg
56 KB, 613x743
>>
File: lamina 35.jpg (26 KB, 438x616) Image search: [Google]
lamina 35.jpg
26 KB, 438x616
>>
File: lamina 4.jpg (50 KB, 663x624) Image search: [Google]
lamina 4.jpg
50 KB, 663x624
>>
https://archive.org/details/TheMedianEmpireInIranAndTheFallOfAssyria2008
>>
>>933928
"evil" is a relative term that doesn't exist without context
>>
>>933916
>>>929713 (You)
>Why are you calling Jesus a plague? Is He not the most badass warrior ever, killing 185,000 seasoned troops in a second?
Sorry senpai, you're probably thinking of Shimshon the prophet who also killed thousands of Philistines with the jawbone of a donkey and ripped down an entire coliseum with his bare hands
>>
>>933922
Just because a document is written by someone who believes in a higher power and uses poetic devices doesn't make it invalid
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.