[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do we all agree that there isn't an inherent meaning of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_6950.jpg (40 KB, 229x231) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6950.jpg
40 KB, 229x231
Do we all agree that there isn't an inherent meaning of life(other than to reproduce)?
>>
>>928252
>other than to reproduce

[citation needed]
>>
>>928252
No, but I'm sure we all agree that our perceptions of life differ wildly. It's interesting to see what kind of reality the people around me create for themselves.
>>
>>928262
it should be commonsense at this point that you only life to carry on your genes to your offspring.

>>928273
What makes you think that life has inherent meaning?
>>
Reproducing isn't the "meaning" of life anymore than lightning is the "meaning" of a storm
>>
>>928280
>you only life to carry on your genes to your offspring

That's a biological impulse, like having to defecate. What does that have to do with the meaning of life?
>>
>>928296
Autism
>>
reproduction as meaning is not strong because we can attach meaning to objects

ie, not-meaningful becomes meaningful and vice versa

therefore the meaning to reproduce is not a strong as it is in organisms that does not separate meaning from the act/object, they reproduce to reproduce not as a means to life
>>
>>928308
Double autism
>>
>>928308
Retardation
>>
>>928296
It's what you're biologically set out to do, whether you accept that this is why you're here is up to you.

>>928292
No, that analogy is wrong, a storm doesn't always make lightning and neither do people always get children.
I think your analogy implies that it's something that must happen rather than something that could but then again storms aren't made for the purpose to produce lightning.
>>
>>928280
Life is only fulfilled by life and can only be questioned or discovered by the living. Therefore life is it's own meaning. Hence in order to discover or realize the meaning of life, one has to live with this purpose in mind. When people go around asking what the meaning of life is, they resign themselves to modality, when life is bigger than notions that emerged from within itself. Life needs to be experience, delved into, eventually merged with.

My mind and experience tell me people do not want to live in search of reality because they resign themselves to modalities provided for them by other groups, people, interests, etc.
>>
>>928313
>they reproduce to reproduce
but that's exactly what your genes do.
you're equating being alive to having to reproduce, that simply by being alive you have to reproduce, that's not at all what i'm proposing.
What i am saying, is that you don't have any inherent meaning to your life.
You can't say that your life's purpose isn't to reproduce from a biological viewpoint and that's what i'm talking about here.
>>
>>928317
People don't exist for the "purpose" of reproduction

It's a neutral process in nature that merely occurs

Attributing purpose to life on earth outside of personal choice is as absurd as astrology
>>
>>928326
yes you can because we aren't totally biological
otherwise we would be unable to willingly starve ourselves to death
>>
>>928321
>Life is only fulfilled by life and can only be questioned or discovered by the living.
Basically just reciting what the guy above said. "everyone has their own meaning to life" but that's not what i'm asking, i'm talking about inherent meaning, not something you, yourself apply to your own consciousness.
>>
>>928339
>It's a neutral process
It can't be, because we do live our lives in hopes to find a partner, in hopes to get children, it's not a neutral process because it does affect our behavior.
>>
>>928346
Then it's much more appropriate to claim that eating is the meaning of life.
>>
>>928341
>we aren't totally biological
>unable to willingly starve ourselves to death
you brain is a biological organ, it acts according to your bodies chemistry.
what you're implying is that there is something other than the body that manipulates you to starve yourself.
>>
>>928346
Many people are and were happy to live without a sexual partner or reproduction

It's as neutral as a bushfire causing herd animals to flee

You attach these personal meanings to an apathetic universe in what's called the "naturalistic fallacy"
>>
>>928343
Lol. You aren't going to get the answer kust by asking for it. You'll get an answer that you may or may not find attractive, convienient, then let it sit in your mind for however many years, as you rationalize reality around it. That could be your meaning. It's a personal realization. If you read anything I wrote you'd comprehend the logic. Either seek out things that challenge and expand your meaning to life, or stop being a petulant child and demanding a spoonfeeding.
>>
>>928357
No, eating and staying alive is just there to keep you alive long enough for your genes to spread.
By your logic, breathing is the meaning of life.

>>928360
>Many people are and were happy
Minorities, they have failed their genes and will not reproduce. That doesn't invalidate the original proposal.
What if someone developed cancer because of some bad genes? Does that mean that because they now make this choice or rather have gotten this choice made for them that they won't reproduce, does that mean that their biological purpose is still not to spread their genes? of course not.
>>
File: John Calvin.jpg (253 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
John Calvin.jpg
253 KB, 1200x1200
>Do we all agree on being atheists?

No.

/his/ is a Christian board.
>>
>>928369
>No, eating and staying alive is just there to keep you alive long enough for your genes to spread.

So after you spreading their genes most people die of starvation? Please tell me this. Nature wants you to reproduce, nature wants you to eat. Tell me why you attach more value to the former than to the latter.
>>
>>928369
Yes it does

You made the arbitrary assertion that the "meaning" of life is to reproduce

It was pointed out that many lived fulfilled lives without it

Again, you're romanticizing a neutral process
>>
>>928386
Why do you eat?
To stay alive.
Why do you stay alive?
To reproduce.
It's that simple.

>Nature wants you to
Nature doesn't care about you.
>after you spreading
What makes you think it's an onetime thing? Your genes will try to keep you alive as long as they can to ensure that they thrive.

>>928386
>>928389
From a biological point of view, you are your genes and any good biologist will tell you that you're here to carry on your genes.
>neutral process
I've already debunked why it's not a neutral process here >>928346
>>
>>928378
>Posting schismatic heresiarch
>>
>>928409
I am a microbiologist, and organisms do not exist for any purpose

Do stars exist to supernova?
>>
>>928252
Yeah. I do, at least.
We can create our own meaning, though, in our hopes and dreams.
So follow yer' dreams, kid!
>>
>>928369
People eat because they're hungry not because they're horny. Saying otherwise is just arbitrarily connecting the dots where there aren't connections to be made.
>>
>>928252

But reproduction isn't meaning in and of itself.

For what purpose are we reproducing?

There isn't any meaning that we know of at this point in time. Hedonism is the best choice in this scenario.
>>
>>928409
>Why do you eat?
>To stay alive.
>Why do you stay alive?
>To reproduce.
>It's that simple.

No. Both hungriness and sexual lust are impulses that arise because of the consequence that you're alive. One does not exist because of the other.
>>
>>928317

We aren't 'here to do' anything. That implies that there is a reason we are here besides accident.
>>
>>928280
That alone doesn't really impart meaning though.

It's a success strategy for memes.

It's like saying the meaning of /his/ is to create christposting threads.
Sure they get all the replies because maximum bait debate but that's not really the meaning of /his/.
>>
>>928321
hipster pseudo-faggit.
>>
>>928341

We are totally biological. Even our consciousness that we often feel is separate of itself and detached from us isnt. It wouldn't exist without our brain.
>>
>>928346

Just because it is our main biological impulse does not make it the meaning. Like the other poster said. It is a biological impulse to breath, eat and shit. They aren't meaning either.
>>
>>928343

There isn't one.
>>
>>928409
>Why do you eat?
>To stay alive.
>Why do you stay alive?
>To reproduce.
>It's that simple.

I'm not planning on having kids. Have never been interested in this idea. Far too much hassle and not interested or care about passing my genes on.

So no. it's not that simple. You're just retarded.
>>
>>928409
>From a biological point of view, you are your genes and any good biologist will tell you that you're here to carry on your genes.

Yes but they aren't saying that is your meaning to live. They are simply saying that is the natural neural process your brain follows due to biology.
>>
>>928378
Oh I missed that, I didn't know being a Christian was necessary to post.
>>
>meaning
>>
>>928252
Reproduction is just what often happens, its not a "meaning". The "meaning" of rain is not to hit the ground, its just what happens.

There is meaning in it because we assign meaning to it.
So its as meaningful as anything can be.
>>
yall need to define "meaning"
>>
>>928539

No. OP needs to define meaning.

Most people are going by the usual term of meaning that being an inherent reason for being/doing/etc
>>
>>928556
If that's the definition, then OP is on to something with the "nothing but reproduction". Our physical form is oriented towards passing along the genes and that's pretty much all there is. Our mind is oriented in the same way.
>>
>>928461
Jesus Christ the positivist kiddies are out in full force tonight.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.