[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, /his/ whats a good book about the whole Middle Ages? I want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: 1458495440317.jpg (94 KB, 759x395) Image search: [Google]
1458495440317.jpg
94 KB, 759x395
Hey, /his/ whats a good book about the whole Middle Ages? I want something written with a more academic perception of that time period. I've seen so far lots of books about the theme but they all are like "muh dark ages", "muh european barbarians" and "the muslims were the good guys". I'd like something more "mature" perhaps.
>>
>>928232
>I've seen so far lots of books about the theme but they all are like "muh dark ages", "muh european barbarians" and "the muslims were the good guys". I'd like something more "mature" perhaps.

The REAL POLITICALLY INCORRECT History if the Crusades by Jack t. Reese
Visigothic Spain was an Oasis by Pedro Looses

I'm kidding
Some anon posted a bunch of annotated bibliographies that would appeal to your need for more mature narratives, whatever you mean by that:
http://pastebin.com/u/jonstond2/1

There isn't one singular pastebin on the middle ages, so you'll have to look through it
>>
So you're looking for a book that fits your biases?

If a lot of books are pointing out that Europe was in a large decline and slump after the fall of the Roman Empire, and the Muslim Empires were prosperous, then you know what that means? That means Europe was in a large decline and slump and the Muslims were prosperous.

Stop trying to find propaganda books. Europe is stable now and the Middle East is war torn. You don't need to make up fake history to stroke your ego.
>>
>>928253
Nice, thanks. I'll look into the recs in that link

You wouldn't have a personal suggestion, would you?
>>
>>928271
Not really, I'm just starting to get into the Florentine and Venetian bibliographies
>>
>>928232

m8 it's a time period of a 1000 fucking years, narrow it the fuck down and if you want any depth and non meme pop history.

Pick a century and a subject and go from there. You can find 300 page long books on late medieval and early renaissance cesspits in Holland, books on the life of a single medieval person etc etc.
>>
File: 1440867376879.jpg (170 KB, 401x1317) Image search: [Google]
1440867376879.jpg
170 KB, 401x1317
>>928268

Jesus, man.

Europe was in decline, ok. But that doesn't mean that the churches were 100% evil, burned books and everyone lived in mudhuts.

You know that monasteries and the Catholic church were responsible for safeguarding roman and greek books.

The Muslim world was growing and was more developed than Europe, ok. But that doesn't mean that all the Muslims were all good and sophisticated people.

They had better science and they had more riches than Europe at the time, but that doesn't make them less violent empire builders.

I'm looking for a book that considers the complexity of the time period, thats it.
>>
>>928285
You're probably right. I'll try to narrow it down.
>>
>>928298
>But that doesn't mean that the churches were 100% evil, burned books and everyone lived in mudhuts.
He didn't say that at all. Your bias becomes more clear with every post. You're asking for "complexity", but you really just want to confirm your own opinion. That's fine, it's a common human trait. But stop being so dishonest.
>>
>>928304
Using the blocks such as

Early middle ages 476-1000 AD.
High middle ages 1000-1300 AD.
Late middle ages 1300-1500 AD.

Makes the subject so much more easy to understand and will greatly aid you in narrowing stuff down.
>>
File: Abulafia02.jpg (104 KB, 644x483) Image search: [Google]
Abulafia02.jpg
104 KB, 644x483
>>928334
Thanks, I'll look into it.

>>928310
You're probably right. w/
>>
>dude al-Andalus lmao
Daily reminder that everything good that ever happened in muslim Spain was due to Abdurrahman III.
>>
>>928382
What's your point?
>>
File: millennium.jpg (42 KB, 318x500) Image search: [Google]
millennium.jpg
42 KB, 318x500
>>928232
I dont even know what you want.
>>
>>928232
Framing the Early Middle Ages is considered one of the finest.
>>
>>928232
Hey, while we're on the topic of book recommendations, anyone have any books that tell the REAL story behind WWII? I mean the one that really takes into consideration the complexity of the situation rather than "muh axis powers" and "muh allies were the good guys." I'd like something more "mature" perhaps
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.