[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is the South so Christian? Is it because of their sin of slavery?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7
File: 1452676378680.jpg (97 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1452676378680.jpg
97 KB, 640x640
Why is the South so Christian? Is it because of their sin of slavery?
>>
religion just has more influence over rural areas, there's no grand secret reason or anything
>>
>degenerate fornicating drunkards
>Christians
>>
>>926951
>slavery
>sin
Check your bible
>>
>>926959
but why?
>>
>>926982
Rural people tend to be pretty stupid
>>
>>926985
*tips*
>>
The south has a lot of black people. Black people look to religion to quell the sadness of ghettos and poverty brought upon by systemic oppression from past decades (I would say it still exists today, at least to a much smaller extent, but then I would be raided by /pol/fags telling me to go to tumblr)

Oh wait, I just did say it
>>
It didn't used to be in the colonial period and the early Republic. Jefferson, Madison, Washington and even John C. Calhoun were all freethinkers. Then something happened, and I don't know what...
>>
>>926985
More like city dwellers are pretentious hedonists
>>
>>926990
But the south is mainly known for bible thumping white people
>>
>>926982 rural people due to isolation do not receive the sharing of information that people in the cities do, not to mention they are too far away (historically) to receive any higher education.
>>
>>926982

You aren't likely to have your core ideas challenged if you live in a static community where everyone else shares them. Cities constantly have people coming in and out from all over, bringing in new ideas that sow seeds of doubt in peoples' minds about their own.
>>
>>926996
Yea and the blacks are easy targets. White people in the south aren't exactly the richest either.
>>
>>926996
Black preachers aren't uncommon, anon...
>>
File: low country.jpg (333 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
low country.jpg
333 KB, 800x533
>>926991

They were from landed families who fetishized European enlightenment values, and they all received formal educations. Of those you listed Calhoun didn't come from a wealthy family but he still managed to attend Yale. The first three you listed were also Virginians, who were better connected with each other and northern elites than the rest of the South's wealthy families.

Most yeomen and other non-slaveholders couldn't afford to send their kids to college, they had to work on the farm as soon as they were old enough take an order.
>>
Religion is a great source of hope. The South in general is not a hopeful place. That's why you don't see faith in the rich. They don't need it.
>>
>>926966
>comparing the slavery of the time of Christ with the monstrosity that existed in the 17th-19th centuries
>>
You wanna know one of the reasons why black people aren't voting in droves for Bernie "FREE SHIT" Sanders? They don't want an atheist in the White House.
>>
>>926991
>freethinkers
Top kek
>>
>>927020
It's because they know Jews ran the Atlantic slave trade, dipshit.
>>
>>927013

also to add onto this Virginia stopped producing great intellectuals after their soil began to decline. Tobacco was the informal currency of the state but as new lands opened up the Deep South's cotton plantations became more profitable than the Old South's tobacco ones and the latter started losing its cultural influence to the former. William and Mary College in Virginia, which was considered on par with Harvard during the colonial period, declined in part because the school could no longer pay for the best secular professors available and returned to a religion-based curriculum taught by ministers.
>>
>>927017

It's not like the risk of abuse was any lesser for Roman slaves. Having absolute power over people brings out the same kind of disturbing behavior today as it did 2000 years ago. Working in a Roman mine was just as (if not more) brutal as working on a sugar cane plantation in the Caribbean; slaves in both were expected to live out the rest of their lives performing agonizing labor and were treated as less valuable than the products they extracted. Don't try to whitewash ancient slavery just because it's more distant from the present.
>>
File: 1380697092809.jpg (48 KB, 479x720) Image search: [Google]
1380697092809.jpg
48 KB, 479x720
>>927033
>>
>>927020
>>927024
I think Black Americans don't care that much for politics. They just voted in Obama CUZ YEAH FIRST BLACK PRESIDENT HE GON' CHANGE THE HOOD N SHIT
>>
>>926997
>>927014
>>926985
>>926999
When will this meme end?

The suburban white Southern upper-middle class is just as religious, if not more so than their poorer counterparts. Middle-class blacks are also disproportionately more likely to have church membership and regularly attend services than *their* poorer counterparts (although blacks are typically more religious than whites in all areas of the country)

Rural white people out West also aren't particularly religious even if they are conservative, so there's another explanation for why the South is more religious than other regions of the country.
>>
Statistically speaking, the more rural an area the more religious it is. Since the south was primarily a slave owning agricultural society they had little reason to industrialize and form large urban centers, which are statistically less religious.
>>
>>928373
Maybe the South is a distinct cultural area that values tradition and authority more than other areas of the country.
>>
>>926996
Black religion in the south is all-pervasive.
>>
>>928997
bingo we have a winner
>>
File: 432562375.png (262 KB, 640x875) Image search: [Google]
432562375.png
262 KB, 640x875
>slavery
>sin

> As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: you may buy male and female slaves from among the nations that are around you. You may also buy from among the strangers who sojourn with you and their clans that are with you, who have been born in your land, and they may be your property. You may bequeath them to your sons after you to inherit as a possession forever. You may make slaves of them, but over your brothers the people of Israel you shall not rule, one over another ruthlessly.

- Leviticus 25:44-46

>Slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling, with a sincere heart, as you would Christ

Ephesians 6:5
>>
>>929071
>muh Leviticus still applies;
When will this meme end?
>>
>>929084

>God changes his mind

Christians are laughable
>>
>>929096
>people think cultural rules made to single out a nation still apply once a religion has had their Messiah and has gone global, even though that stuff's the earliest debate that is settled and confirmed in Christendom;
>>
>>928261
Black Americans do care about politics,that is why most of them are not voting for Trump.
>>
>>926951
Part of it is that the South is poor, and poor cultures typically lean on religion to provide a host of practical purposes like organization/socialization, a code of ethics that can provide moral structure (allowing for economic ascent), identity, etc.

The other strong reason is that I see is that it got tied up somehow in their loss in the civil war. The North and its culture was cast as Satanic as Christianity redefined itself to restore the South's lost sense of sufficiency.

In short, its about pride and economics.
>>
>>929096
And atheists are rigid.
>>
>>929119
except these "cultural rules" are from God and should be perfect. as perfect as the punishment for rape being forced to marry the person woman you raped and that you can keep slaves their whole life as long as they aren't Jews. both of these things sure do help distinguish Jews as chosen by the One Perfect God, right?
>>
>>929150
>the Civil War

Bingo! In the Colonial and early Republic periods, the South was very secular and the North was very religious and conservative. Remember, the Northern states were founded by literal Puritans while the Southern elite were often supporters of the Restoration and the Enlightenment, but following the devastation of the Civil War, a lot of the wealth and structure was lost and many Southerners both rich and poor turned to religion as a source of hope and something to believe in while the North industrialized, became richer, and eventually more secular.

If 4chan and the internet were around in the 1700s, we would be having this conversation, only applied to the Puritan North of the 17th and 18th Centuries as opposed to the Evangelical South of the 20th and 21st Centuries.
>>
>>929071
>you may buy male and female slaves from among the nations that are around you
>You may also buy from among the strangers who sojourn with you and their clans that are with you, who have been born in your land

>Hey this means we can import negroes from across the oceans
>>
File: three-little-pigs.jpg (21 KB, 300x278) Image search: [Google]
three-little-pigs.jpg
21 KB, 300x278
>>929170
Rigid is good.

The only ones who have a problem with it are nonrigid Christians.
>>
>>926964
That's what most of agrarian medieval society was.
They celebrated Saint's Days, which amounted to about a holiday every couple weeks that entailed gathering together and getting fucking trashed. The dances and songs we have from them are pretty filthy too.
>>
>>926951
Because as stated before by several others, the Civil War acted as a cultural reset button for both sides of the country, but the South especially.
>>
>>929361
Rigid generalizes and then rewards itself. Its like being fat and thinking you're pretty.
>>
>>926951
No its because they are stupid fucks.
>>
>>930234
>being a bodyshamer
Oh, so you're a bigot, good to know.

Bye.
>>
Coming from rural Kentucky, most people here are strong believers, and anybody who openly claims atheism is basically dooming your social life. Once had a sweet old lady tell me about how the bombings in Paris were due to the United States legalizing gay marriage.
>>
File: 1459105709326.jpg (30 KB, 284x288) Image search: [Google]
1459105709326.jpg
30 KB, 284x288
>>930252
that's the most faggot thing I have read today
>>
>>927073
hicks are shit.
>>
File: christcuck.jpg (285 KB, 1484x1079) Image search: [Google]
christcuck.jpg
285 KB, 1484x1079
>>926987
*kisses feet*
>>
>>930234
But, I'm not fat. I'm fit and educated. I don't need to pretend. Christians believe it's okay to be fat lazy slobs, because they believe they are powerless to change themselves, and after all... Jesus will save them.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.