[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any truth or validity to Terrence McKenna's "Stoned
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 517sivl9seL._SL300_[1].jpg (25 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
517sivl9seL._SL300_[1].jpg
25 KB, 300x300
Is there any truth or validity to Terrence McKenna's "Stoned Ape theory" of human evolution?
>>
>>926353
Not really. Terrence McKenna was just a fucking stoner hippie who really liked eating mushrooms, and managed to make a living talking nonsense to delusional people.

I've done mushrooms. They don't make you any smarter or anything of the like. Perhaps a mushroom made some dumb early man think more about his world... but, so did hurricanes, droughts, fireflies, and predators. Lots of events, big and small, contributed to the evolution of human intelligence. To suggest that mushrooms deserve any significant amount of credit... is nonsense.
>>
>>926353
never heard of it
is it a meme ?
>>
maybe not completely. but entheogens like marijuana and mushrooms have been used by people to alter their consciouss for milennia
>>
Terrence McKenna was a (likely highly self aware) "dude drugs lmao" hack. he spitballed a whole heap of shit and some of it stuck, to be parroted by heavy users of psychedelics on the verge of schizophrenia.
>>
>>926421
>>929390

This. It's unscientific speculation based on how much McKenna loves drugs. It only really appeals to people who don't know much about human evolution and also let their interest in drugs color their interests. No academic worth anything takes it seriously.
>>
Interesting idea but it's almost total speculation.

>>926421
I may be talking out of my ass here, but the people who think shrooms offer some magical insight into reality are the type of people who aren't good at processing that kind of information in the first place.
>>
Worst book I ever wasted my money on
>>
His theory is way over the top but it's a good thing to bring attention to psychedelics because they've got a lot to offer. I've had significant benefits in my life using LSD and the like. Psychedelics helped me quit drinking. Psychedelics also made my best friends and me even tighter a group.
>>
>>926353
Are his comments on the Eleusinian mysteries at least pretty solid? In the sense that they were ingesting psychedelics as part of the rituals and that Alcibiades got in trouble for partaking in those same drugs at home?
>>
Its true.

Source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxKrskPyBuI
>>
>>926353
Animals get drunk on rotting fruit in a lot of parts of the world, there's nothing unique about humans doing drugs except that we talk about it
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.