[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could there have been a historical basis for the myth of Heracles?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
Could there have been a historical basis for the myth of Heracles?
>>
>>926052
Actually the character of Hercules was adapted from Old testament Christianity specifically Samson. The indeed the earliest manuscript mentioning him only appears in 900AD prior to that Hercules was just a regular but attractive Man however as Christianity spread suddenly out of the need to compete pagans began to copy Samson's exploits and attribute them to Hercules like slaying a lion before outright embellishing them.
>>
Yes.
>>
>>927823
sounds like bullshit
>>
>>927823
As if the story of Heracles isn't earlier.
>>
File: nem2[1].jpg (28 KB, 345x345) Image search: [Google]
nem2[1].jpg
28 KB, 345x345
>>927823
Indeed.

Pic related, medieval vase from 900ad.
>>
>>927823
Fucking christfags lol
>>
>>926052
There once was a Greek dude that was like super strong. Some guy saw him throw a big rock and was like woah that guys super strong. Then when he was telling his buddies later he was like "Hey theres this guy thats so strong I bet hes like part god or something like woah"
>>
>>928608
This desu
>>
>>927823
you, sir, are an asshole
>>
Was there a historical basis for the story of the tortoise and the hare?
>>
>>926052

Heracles is a junction of several, perhaps hundreds, local traditions about strongmen and deities. Over time as trade links connected various population together, these traditions joined the general syncretic tendencies and erged into the myth of Heracles.

People always admired strongmen, especially back when the average height and strength was much lower than today. Memories of such extraordinary people could survive over generations and acquire fantastic elements along the way. Later on, such strongmen were indistinguishable from demigods of other local traditions. People heard stories from other city and said "hey, it's the same hero who once visited us hundreds of years ago".
>>
>>928665
A couple of Greek fagomatics were heading to Athens. One guy was like "Im gonna run there itll so cool your gonna look like such a little bitch when you get there after me". Then he ran ahead, got tired and had to stop to catch his breath. The other Grook caught up to him and was like "Ur sych a dumbass frank"
>>
>>928487
we
wuz
heracles
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.