[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Jesus was a carpenter any truth to this meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 9
File: 1459182324228.png (645 KB, 1400x1050) Image search: [Google]
1459182324228.png
645 KB, 1400x1050
>Jesus was a carpenter
any truth to this meme?
>>
The greek word "tekton" (translated into "carpenter") could also possibly mean “artisan,” “contractor,” or “handyman."

I don't think it really makes a difference though
>>
>>925566
Joseph was a carpenter.
It would be sensible to think his wife's son would take up the same trade.
>>
>>925566
Jesus was a meme
>>
>>925624
>wife's son
i mean, this isn't wrong
>>
>>925566
At the time Jesus was probably a boy, there was a roman style city being built in one days travel from his town.

So there would have been a lot of work, and also exposer to greek and roman culture
>>
I'm an atheist and I think it is cool as hell that a mere carpenter changed the world. He was just hammering nails and then started asking the people around him "hey, what if we, like, don't be assholes to each other?".
>>
>>925684
At least if we take the bible at its word, Jesus at least had a basic education, because he could read the torah he also seemed to express an understanding of contemporary Jewish doctrines, and possibly some knowledge of Jewish esoterica. So humble beginnings sure, but he was probably no simpleton
>>
>>925684
No offense but that's a horrible approximation of Jesus' teachings.
>>
>>925709
It's literally the basis for all of Jesus' teachings, don't get confused by the later Christian additions
>>
>"I didn't say half of the shit people think I said."
t. Jesus Christ
>>
>>925742
He probably didn't
>>
>>925684
>hey, what if we, like, don't be assholes to each other

"Also, the world is going to end very soon, which I know because I am literally God. So you'd better give me all your stuff and do whatever I say. "
>>
>>925566
I am a carpenter. Truth.
>>
>>925802
Did he say that though? I thought the apocalyptic stuff was one of the things tacked on.
>>
>>925824
I didn't know Jesus browsed /his/
>>
>>925802
He never said that.
>>
>>925826
Nothing was tacked on
Christianity is objectively correct
>>
>>925841
>Christianity is objectively correct
What's the proof of that?
>>
>>925848
My ass
>>
>>925729
No the basis for all of Jesus's teaching is 'Let's make Judaism less strict.'
>>
>>925863
Water isn't wet. Objects become wet when interacting with water.
>>
File: smug-ebola.jpg (13 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
smug-ebola.jpg
13 KB, 200x200
>>925874
>Water isn't wet
Stay illiterate my friend
>>
>>925863
No, if I told you to prove God exists, then yeah, you could say "water is wet".

But Christianity has to be proven.
>>
>>925858
>>925858
What about all that shit about the meek and being nice to others? That seemed to take up most of Jesus's breath.
>>
Yes. However, being a carpenter was not considered as rugged of a livelihood as it is today.

Jesus was probably a member of Judea's petit bourgeoisie, likely being able to afford the kind of Judaic education that most of his acolytes lacked.

I'm quite interested in knowing if Jesus would have spoken any Greek or (more plausibly) Hebrew. Probably not fluently, but he likely knew some phrases of each.

Would Jews have needed to know some Greek or even Latin to avoid confrontations with the military? Or was military authority so devolved that most Roman forces would have been collaborating Jewish auxiliaries (as seen in the Gethsemane confrontation) rather than Southern European transplants?
>>
>>925885
christianity is the default position of the world considering it was god who created the universe and everything in it. it's up to satan to prove his lies, which he can't
>>
>>925897
>even Latin to avoid confrontations with the military

it's like my memes
>>
>>925729
No, I think this is the basis:

>Matthew 22: 34 Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. 35 One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[c] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[d] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
>>
>>925906
CHECKMATE, ATHEISTS!
>>
>>925881
wet (wĕt)
adj. wet·ter, wet·test
1. Covered or soaked with a liquid, such as water: a wet towel.

Wet is an adjective used to describe the condition of an object when interacting with water. It's not a descriptor of the water itself unless you define it as something being in a liquid state, which is self evident either way.
>>
>>925940
noun
liquid that makes something damp.

Stay intellectually dishonest
>>
>>925897
>I'm quite interested in knowing if Jesus would have spoken any Greek or (more plausibly) Hebrew.
Scholarship says he spoke Aramaic, and there's debate on whether he could speak Greek.

Relevant vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Upv2RbVLwk
>>
>>925566
I watched a documentary about Jesus's life through a history and non-religious lens.

Basically, Jesus was a carpenter. But then he became an apocalyptic doomsayer. And he started going around yelling at random people, telling them they have sinned and need to repent or the apocalypse will come and kill them.

John the baptist also did the same thing.
>>
>>925944
You proved my point though.
>>
>>925906
I don't understand what you're saying. Of course God created the universe. But what does that have to do with Christianity?
>>
>>925953
>documentary
This was your first mistake.
>>
File: 40_Mt_27_05_RG.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1446) Image search: [Google]
40_Mt_27_05_RG.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1446
>>925907
Body cameras on legii NOW
>>
>>926008
#ISRAELITELIVESMATTER
>>
File: Jesús_food.jpg (126 KB, 550x646) Image search: [Google]
Jesús_food.jpg
126 KB, 550x646
>>925827
>I didn't know Jesus browsed /his/
>>
>>926015
It's funny how Jesus was basically the Malcolm X of the ancient Jews -- a radical who was religious heretical and staunchly opposed to the oppressive status quo, opposing both social and economic inequality.

Both were huge enemies of the ruling class and the collaborating oppressed people. Although Malcolm X shot for being not radical enough, rather than being too radical.
>>
>>926037
your specific flavor of historical jesus is no more accurate than the literal gospel accounts
>>
>>926037
You understand that Malcolm X heavily disagreed with "turn the other cheek" and Christian doctrine which he felt helped enslaved blacks?
>>
>>925566
>Jesus

Any truth to this meme?
>>
>>926057
Something something reddit

Essentially all scholars agree that Jesus existed. He's more well-documented than most ancient figures, being present in two histories written in the first century. There's no reason to know if the stories of the Gospels are accurate, and they contain some evident fabrications, but there's no reason to believe Jesus was made up.

Why would so many ancient Jews follow the wisdom of a man who didn't exist?
>>
>>926064
Josephus and Tacticus's references are obvious interpolations man.
>>
File: bin_laden.jpg (30 KB, 294x326) Image search: [Google]
bin_laden.jpg
30 KB, 294x326
this threat is full with Gawd hating juice
>>
File: Hermitage Arch.jpg (69 KB, 412x600) Image search: [Google]
Hermitage Arch.jpg
69 KB, 412x600
>>925592
Or "mason."

Jesus Christ is the cornerstone.
>>
>>925887
That was part of his reforms.
>>
>>925953
Christ had a decent amount of wealth, enough to distribute large amounts of food, contest local lords, host parades. This is the atheist perspective of course.

He would ride around with his entourage and be all like "fuck jews." to people.
>>
>>925897
>Or was military authority so devolved that most Roman forces would have been collaborating Jewish auxiliaries (as seen in the Gethsemane confrontation) rather than Southern European transplants?

mostly this. the actual Italian soldiers were further north on the Armenian/Parthian border in modern day Syria.

the Roman occupational army in Judea would have been mostly Jews and Hellenized Semites.*

*a good chunk of the Roman army at Massada were Lebanese. makes sense considering that they were mostly building a big ass ramp.
>>
>>925566
Yes. Which is why it russels the fuck out of my jimmies when Jesus is depicted as a skinny little fuck. Dude was a carpenter until he was 30. Before power tools and shit. Jesus would have been decently big, same with all the fucks that followed him around. They were all trades people.
>>
>>926064
>Why would so many ancient Jews follow the wisdom of a man who didn't exist?
Greeks even...lots and lots of Greeks. There is no reason Hellenized Jews would completely fabricate a religion based on the worship of a hill-billy day-laborer.
>>
>>928448
big enough guy to clear the temple...
>>
>>928448
TELL ME ABOUT JESUS, WHY DOES HE WEAR THE COWN OF THORNS?
>>
File: 1445202474765.jpg (1 MB, 1258x1728) Image search: [Google]
1445202474765.jpg
1 MB, 1258x1728
>>928514
He wears it for you.
>>
>>928521
WAS BEING KISSED PART OF YOUR PLAN?
>>
>>925684
>hey, what if we, like, don't be assholes to each other

Yeah, nobody had ever thought of that before, I'm sure.
>>
>>925684
"I'm an atheist so my opinion on something I disagree with that is positive towards it is more valid"

Fuck off.
>>
>>925636
In a historical sense though Joseph is probably Jesus's dad for obvious reasons
>>
>>925624
>>925636
Okay, THAT was pretty good
>>
>>928525
Of course! Judas refused out offer in favor of yours. We had to know what he told you about us.
>>
>>928391
I wish I could've been there when Jesus road around be all like "fuck Jews" to people
>>
>>928820
Well congratulations, you got yourself caught, so what's the next step of your master plan?
>>
>>928898
Crashing this temple.

WITH NO SURVIVORS!
>>
>>928907
This can'take be happening! The high priests are in control here!
>>
>>928918
They expect one of us on the cross brother.
>>
>>928931
Now is not the time for rising, that comes later! (Three days from now)
>>
>>928945
Have we started Christianity?
>>
>>928957
Yes, the Son rises!
>>
>>928982
Calm Down, Maria. Now is not the time for saying goodbye. That comes later. (ascension day)
>>
>>928992
Longinus- I wondered what would break first, your Spirit, or your gallbladder!
>>
>>925897
Everyone in the Middle East use to speak Aramaic because Assyrians ruled over most of it for some time. After that all the Merchants would speak Greek since that was the trading language. Jews would speak Hebrew and people dealing with the Romans would speak Latin.
>>
>>929158
People dealing with Romans spoke Greek. Higher ups can into Greek anyway in both Rome and Judaea
>>
>>925858

Matthew 5

21“You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.’ 22But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.

27“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

So less strict
>>
>>928484

>Hellenized Jews

nice try anon
>>
File: samson.jpg (370 KB, 1600x1141) Image search: [Google]
samson.jpg
370 KB, 1600x1141
>>928907
>>
>>929738
Top 10 Saddest Anime Deaths
>>
File: 454.png (790 KB, 605x510) Image search: [Google]
454.png
790 KB, 605x510
>>929738
DELETE THIS
>>
>>928545
You are reading a subtext that isn't there, friend. The point is that a mere mortal from humble beginnings changed the world and it didn't involve him slaughtering millions like a barbarian from the steppe.
>>
>>929738
Women in pink holding her shit in lmao
>>
>>928488
For you
>>
>>925566
Define meme.
>>
>>925706

He actually had a relatively advanced education, if we take the Gospels at their word. Remember, this is an age where Hebrew was no longer the day to day language spoken in Israel/Palestine/Iudea. Learning the scriptures in their original required learning a new language, and then becoming fluent in it. Granted, the differences between Aramaic and Hebrew are slight enough that if you know one you can pick up the other fairly easily, but for Jesus to display the knowledge he does (even if he does make a misquote here and there) implies several years of real, full time schooling.
>>
>>926250
He is the builder not the material.
>>
>>929738
>has short hair
>breaks stone

Makes sense.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.