[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been bothered for a little while now by the slipper
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
I've been bothered for a little while now by the slipper slope fallacy, and I think this is the closest board to being able to discuss it.

I can't think of many examples where it hasn't came true. Getting rid of anti-sodomy laws made it much easier to allow gay marriage, for instance. The 13th amendment to the US Constitution was clearly a "slippery slope" for the 14th and 15th amendments. Someone who intended to never let women vote would be very justified in opposing the 15th, as it establishes the direction the legislation is heading. Women's suffrage is a logical outcome of suffrage for non-whites, so it makes sense to oppose suffrage of non-whites.

Is there something I'm missing with this argument?
>>
prople that wanted equality in the old days were called radical for a reason, and it's really just because since fascism died, universities have been filled with left wing lecturers
>>
>>925078
The issue isn't really left or right, it's more about whether it should be a fallacy or not.
>>
>>925019
Its an informal fallacy. it is not a fallacy if you use it in a very nuanced way
It works like this. saying sodomy is bad could lead to gay marriage which is bad is a mistake, because it artificially conflates the two positions. Just because you dont care if gays have sex does not mean you support gay marriage. Unless you can show that one directly leads to the other, its a fallacy
>>
>>925223
>Unless you can show that one directly leads to the other, its a fallacy
In most cases the cause isn't immediately visible. For instance, a law that decreased tax benefits for marriage could have the very direct result of less marriages occuring, but could also have much further, indirect results like a lower GDP or societal decay, or some other far-flung outcome.
An English MP, voting on raising the taxes from the American colonies, might have been shot down by "muh slippery slope" for saying it would lead to a revolution.
>>
>>925019
Logical fallacies are not rules of thumb. You need razors for that.
"It happens most of the time" =/= "It will definitely happen". The converse is the claim being made, and it doesn't always follow. Therefore it is a fallacy.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.