[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
American Culture?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 142
Thread images: 15
File: american-culture-600x320[1].jpg (49 KB, 600x320) Image search: [Google]
american-culture-600x320[1].jpg
49 KB, 600x320
Why do so many people claim that Americans don't have culture? What constitutes a culture? Is it possible to say that Americans historically possessed a culture (like in the 1830s when de Tocqueville visited the country, or the 1950s) that they have since lost? Is baseball a cultural activity? Is the American dream culture or ideology? Is there a difference?

I hope this makes sense but I wanted to discuss this further since it seems pretty clear to me that America has a culture, or at least it once did.
>>
>>924099
It's because they're a mongrel nation, bastards of several cultures.
Only speaking the truth, mon ami
>>
>>924111
>It's because they're a mongrel nation, bastards of several cultures.

That's nearly every nation though, including the Japanese and British. That's not a very valid argument for why you think the US has no culture.
>>
>>924133
Yes, but they're old countries, while America is a relatively new one.
I'm sure they'll develop one, but so far they don't have it
>>
>>924099
I'm going to be brutally honest now.
American culture is invisible, but omnipresent.
People don't recognize it, because their nations already fully embraced it.
United States is a nation of immigrants from all corners of the world, but still majority euro descent, that's why we euros shouldn't ostracize what's basically descendants of our own grand grandparents combining their strengths forming a 1st world country with 300+ million population and global lead in economy, science, engineering, entertainment and more.
>>
>>924133
>>924149
So Canada and Australia also don't have cultures by your logic?
>>
>>924174
Yes.
>>
>>924178
Define what constitutes a "culture" then, and which peoples possess one.
>>
>>924174
Canadians uh... cut wood and play hockey, right?
And Aussies... lose wars against wildlife and shitpost for a living?
>>
>>924174
Ex-Settler Colonies don't have cultures, period.

US, Canada, Australia, NZ are all just Anglo.
>>
>>924190
I believe that only the old world possesses culture.
And I define culture as the collective sum of customs, beliefs and way of life of a nation or people that separate it from its (or their) neighbors
>>
>>924099
>Why do so many people claim that Americans don't have culture?
banter.
>>
Goods news is the anthropological definition of culture is simply:
>The learned patterns of behavior and thought that help a group adapt to it's surroundings.

That's it.

People whining about American culture are either saying "I don't like it" or "I'm too dumb to find any American [thing] that tickles my aesthetic bone".

If America had no culture there'd be no America to speak of, same with any other ethno/national identity.
>>
>>924217
>anthropological definition of culture
meaningless.
>>
>>924217
That seems like a fairly odd definition. Take the American practice of cutting part of their men's dicks. There is nothing beneficial about this. Yet it's one of the most American things to do.
>>
>>924223
What, compared to yours?

Even if you're assmad about academia, they have a community that supports their definitions, and you are basically talking out of your ass
>>
>>924099
America does have a culture
Look at american steriotypes, they exemplify the culture of consumerism and cultural imperialism

Coke is in every country on earth, so is mcdonalds. Our culture is exporting our lifestyle
>>
>ITT: Butthurt Europoors

The ironic thing is that in 100 years the only place that European culture will still exist is in American museums.
>>
File: pepler.png (74 KB, 402x428) Image search: [Google]
pepler.png
74 KB, 402x428
>>924241
Social science is basically a meme, so yeah, I'd say it's equal to my shitpost on a mongolian chessplaying image board
>>
>>924099
It's more like America is the only culture.

We make 95% of the movies and 75% of the video games anyone cares about. Those are the largest artistic media anyone consumes. (say what you want about how oil paintings are 'better' but that's no longer a major aspect of culture)
>>
File: gas.jpg!HalfHD[1].jpg (204 KB, 1164x800) Image search: [Google]
gas.jpg!HalfHD[1].jpg
204 KB, 1164x800
>>924252
American oil paintings are better anyway.
>>
>>924205
> the collective sum of customs, beliefs and way of life of a nation or people that separate it from its (or their) neighbors
Well, if that's what you're defining culture with, then America certainly has a distinct culture. We've certainly got customs, beliefs, and a way of life that separate us from, say, Mexico. Canada too, although there is a lot more overlap there.
>>
American culture is the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.
>>
>>924250
They don't seem that butthurt to me so far. Even the ones that don't think we have a culture are being chill about it, no need to get hostile.
>>
It's something Jews and butthurt Euros claim to make themselves feel better about losing their place in the global spotlight. What they mean is that American culture isn't European culture.
>>
>>924275
They're denying that 'colonies' can have culture without giving reasons. They're at the very least baiting.
>>
This shit belongs on /int/
>>
>>924284
Well the one guy was giving his definition of culture, and from that we can surmise how they might not think that ex-colonies meet that definition.
>>
>>924287
Not really, this is an issue of history and the humanities more than anything.
>>
>>924099
Short answer - no, there is no single American culture.
There are cultures on the state-level though.
Best example is Texas,
>we wuz rebels
>>
>>924282
Europe doesn't have a monolithic culture.
If anything, America itself is the sum of European cultures. It culturally dominates the developed world, as stated earlier in this very thread.
>>
The real reason is because American culture is so widespread we identify it with a some sort of a Western culture that we all share.

The matter of fact is that american music, films, (modern) books, TV shows and awhile bunch of things are disproportionally represented. That is partly because they enjoy the fact that English is lingua franca but there are other factors, I'm sure, what do you guys think?

When people say Americahas no culture, they mean it has a trashy culture, I don't disagree but to tap your feet on the ground stubbornly refusing the accept America's cultural empire is childish.

How many of you aren't American and have talked about the American elections with other non-Americans? 'cause I know people who've initiated conversations about that with me, from old ladies to the youth.

I don't like it either but to change it, we need to take action, not sit around lifting our noses.
>>
>>924308
>tfw euros know all the big wig American politicians
>tfw most of the population knows about only Putin here
Even off the top of my head I can't even name 10 current euro politicians.
>>
>>924288
But he gave no reason to accept that definition or to believe that America doesn't meet those qualifications
>>
>>924316
Nah, we know trump, bush and little more.

Consider also that you have one government, euros have dozens of them.
>>
Non-American here.

Americans do have a culture.

Barbecues and soul food?American cuisine=American culture

Westerns and superheroes? American mythology=American culture

The clothing 99% of you are wearing?
American fashion= American culture

The people who say "Americans" don't have a culture are the same people who talk about how the Katana is the noblest of all weapons or British fashion is the epitome of class. So basically special snowflake Americans and shitposting euros.

Every country has a culture. There are even subcultures within that culture.
>>
>>924322
Consider that euros have less than a dozen governments of import, and not a single one with the dominance of the USA's.
>older American politicians
You're just proving my point mate.
>>
>>924308
>How many of you aren't American and have talked about the American elections with other non-Americans?

When this shit actually comes up, it's because people are worried what kind of goddamn lunatic might end up sitting in the white house next.
People are very well aware that America is still one of two nations on earth that could literally end the human civilization by throwing a shit fit.
>>
>>924217
>that help a group adapt to it's surroundings
This is a terrible definition.
>>
>>924321
Which is more or less what I argued for against him, and I'm currently waiting for his response.
>>
>>924331
>the president holds all the power in the American govt.

I thought we had already proven that the bastard was a figurehead.
>>
>>924330
This isn't /int/, I'm not bantering with you.
>>
>>924342
He holds a considerable power over armed forces during wartime.
It's how Bush JR fucked you over and started two wars in 3 years.
President also has the keys to the football.
>>
>>924194
You can dumb down literally any culture on earth to core stereotypes though

Scottish culture is just wearing skirts and playing bagpipes

Saudi culture is just beheading infidels and riding camels

Chinese culture is just relentless sociopathy
>>
>>924349
And what will he do with the football? Kick it?
>muh bush jr
All the theories I've read said that it wasn't a single person who got us into that, it was multiple politicians with interests.
Bush was one of those, he was also the president.
But he can't do that unless he gets another branch of the govt to sign off, it patently makes little sense to hold him solely at fault.
This other branch does kinda have literally over a hundred members with votes.
>>924343
Thanks for the reply
>>
>>924355
I'm really sorry, anon, I was really just joking.
>>
>>924359
>But he can't do that unless he gets another branch of the govt to sign off, it patently makes little sense to hold him solely at fault.
Not when it comes to foreign policy, anon. You're thinking of domestic policy. For military campaigns abroad, he doesn't need approval. He's the Commander-in-Chief.
>>
Dumping some American culture youtube links

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf5mL2DsL9g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n6jRavPV_U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmgaKGSxQVw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5a2RXA2Jn8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0WVh1D0N50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_NL5fh9H4c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHZAwyFj-Jc&list=PL7F7636F7B05CEC1F&index=10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn_T_77JM8g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6uuvHfuyUw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGva1NVWRXk
(this is a pretty /his/ opera btw):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_kVc8mrElg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlVKC7rxdg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPlQS1pzHdA
>>
>>924359
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_football
>>
>>924099
>Manifest Destiny
>Guns (Sence of self-defense/vigilantism)
>Burger (Love of flair/the better things in life)
>American Dream (Anyone can achieve greatness through individual effort)
>Bring your poor your weak
>Fire works
>Fierce nationalism and avoidance of autocracy/adherence to freedom
I'd say faith but that had eroded in the last 50 years, but America was definitely a very pious nation before the 1960's.
>>
>>924099
It's just the result of an inadequate definition of culture. No anthropologist ever would seriously claim a country or a community "lack culture" because culture itself is a principle that allows human social life and organization.

Also kek, my captcha is about hamburgers
>>
when i think of american culture, i think of rock and roll, hip hop, hollywood, football, cowboys, etc. it's a pretty strong culture desu

as a canadian, i can't really think of any culture in comparison, just hockey
>>
>>924466
French Canadians have a very distinct culture.

English Canada has a culture that grew out of the events and forces that defined it: Loyalty to Britain, friendship with America, weary acceptance of the French, WW1, Louis Riel, the Trans-Pacific railroad, etc.
>>
File: 1459485606326.jpg (127 KB, 625x833) Image search: [Google]
1459485606326.jpg
127 KB, 625x833
>>924508
Those American swine!!! What they did to that poor defenseless tea in Boston was nigh-on genocide.
>>
>>924466
Very similar to Americans (for good reason, both young countries that grew next to each other) with some differences, hockey being more popular, more emphasis on outdoorsmanship/nature, arguably more laid back/passive. I don't know enough to really accurately judge the differences between them though.
>>
American culture is defined by abundance and consuming excess amounts of stuff because we can. This is why the rest of the world hates us and claims we have no culture, because they are jealous and suffer from cultures of scarcity.
>>
>>924162
/thread
>>
>>924099
>Why do so many people claim that Americans don't have culture?

1. Jealousy / envy / snobbery
2. An idiotic view of culture that only allows peoples with a long standing tradition / history to have one
3. Ignorance

America is the world's cultural powerhouse. It is the sole reason the country progressed and expanded as quickly and greatly as it did.
>>
>>924298
It's not the sum of European cultures. It's a British base with some foreign influences but those influences are superficial. Christmas trees, pizza, burritos, etc.
>>
>>924872
I never got this, is there any other country where you can look at their culture just by the decade? Each decade in the 1900s is extremely unique and so well documented.
>>
>>924522
What does that have to do with anything I said?
>>
>>924099
usa doesn't have a culture, it's just an aggregate of different one.

even the dominant one, anglo, is not his.

their only original culture element is consumism, and it was not invented by them
>>
>>924355
less butthurt.

every european country has his, even complex, culture.

nations like austrialia or USA dont have one because they just directly descent and aggregate other one
>>
If you think culture is JUST what kind of clothes you wear, the music you listen to, the foods you eat, then you have no clue what culture actually is.
>>
>>925141
If you're implying America does not have anything more than these things going on for its culture, you're highly mistaken.
>>
>>925178

Then you've never met an American, friend. They act completely different to most Anglos.
>>
>>924203
whether it's their own culture or an aggregate of cultures, an American culture exists. It's basically Anglican like britty boys or aussies, some finer differences can be made. To claim no culture exists in the United states is nothing short of wrong.
>>
Anyone who claims that doesn't understand the definition of culture

Culture is not something you have or don't have
>>
>>924268
I think one of the reasons it's so hard to pin down what American culture is now is because of the size and diversity of the United state. States/regions have cultures that could be considered to be different from that of others. The culture that America has as a nation isn't consolidated across the country, but as Americans, there's still several practices and societal customs that are shared (albeit loosely) all around the United States.
>>
>>924099
Why are yanks so insecure, it's just banter.
>>
America is the worlds biggest culture exporter.
Jeans
Hamburgers
Blues
hollywood
Apple(s)
Saying that X country has no culture etc is leftist bullshit, so people feel less proud about their heritage. As a swede, the only thing we consume is american culture. The only thing they teach in school is that sweden got no culture and that kebab saved us, from our gray lives.
>>
>>925346
Same thing goes for all nations almost. Top of my head Italy and Turkey comes to mind, france also, where each corner has it unique way of living since forever because of climate, terrain, trade etc
The conservative christian america is pretty "american" i guess, or texas cowboy thingy.
Mitt Romney is the american culture
>>
ITT: people discussing how Americans don't have culture by using American cultural examples.
>>
File: 1453522987619.png (96 KB, 238x305) Image search: [Google]
1453522987619.png
96 KB, 238x305
>>924099
All the people claiming that are American. It's because they are so Americanly minded that they take American culture to be like the default state of culture. It's the same with people who complain about Eurocentrism in history: complaining about Eurocentrism is something only a Westerner would do.
>>
>>925366
>Why are yanks so insecure, it's just banter.

It's not banter if the person saying it actually believes Americans don't have culture. It's just stupidity.
>>
>>925511
This
>>
>>925450
>kebab saved us, from our gray lives.
The swedish school system does a a lot of things wrong, but they have never said that.
>>
>>925450
Also read >>925511
Change American to Swedish.
>>
>>924099
I thought the idea that everything has to be "large" was a very American thing. No joke intended.
>>
File: 1459611930311.jpg (40 KB, 680x848) Image search: [Google]
1459611930311.jpg
40 KB, 680x848
>>924162
>Britain, France, Germany etc. mind if we borrow aspects of your culture?
>HAHA everyone is like us we cultural dominance USA USA USA
>>
>>925685
Bad, bad question mark nigger, that's not how you go about it at all.
>>
Doesn't American culture completely dominate modern India (poo in loo jokes aside)?
>>
>>925511
>It's because they are so Americanly minded that they take American culture to be like the default state of culture.
This
>>
>>925803
Hell no. There are many English speakers there though.
>>
>>924149
>time creates culture
>>
America has culture, but when people say culture, most of the time they mean culture as something positive. Most American culture is considered rather trashy like what >>924308 said.

The problem most people have with American culture is that it isn't grounded on tradition from history nor is it unique.

It is something that all other cultures have tasted through American media, which is broadcasted to the world.

Americans don't practice the traditions of our settler/immigrant/native ancestors. We follow the ideaology of dropping the old and picking up the newest innovation in music and technology.

That's basically what the United States has been about ever since the colonies rebelled.

The only prevailing aspects of American culture that lasts amongst the majority are excessive consumerism, product branding, and following the newest "hip" fad in music and art.

We have no connection with our past, and our education system is the only way we can learn about our history (though we don't embrace it because learning about our past is boring and dull, not cool like that new music video on YouTube with a billion hits).

That's why when other people say Americans have no culture, I understand what they mean. We aren't bounded together by our common traditions because we abandon them for convenience and popularity.

I struggle to have conversations with my friends that do not ever mention a movie, TV show, or a music artist from the past 5 years, because that's all we do. We just sit down and consume these products, ostracize those who don't, and by the end of the day we scratch our heads and wonder why we are such a divided people.

Other countries have experienced the American culture by watching our shows, so when they get here, they expect us to be doing something more. But we don't. Instead they find us doing this to a much higher degree than they would consider.

I know I'm about to get radical here, but American culture has turned into Huxley's novel
>>
File: 1456907210089.png (1 MB, 3444x2184) Image search: [Google]
1456907210089.png
1 MB, 3444x2184
>>925511
americans have a constitution and various markets, nothing else.
>>
>>926044
>The problem most people have with American culture is that it isn't grounded on tradition from history nor is it unique.

Freedom, the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights are pretty unique attributes of American culture. No other nation in the world has anything similar to the American dream and the concept of rugged individualism and the ability to transcend the social hierarchies and low status that you may have been born into.
>>
>>926194
>No other nation in the world has anything similar to the American dream and the concept of rugged individualism and the ability to transcend the social hierarchies and low status that you may have been born into.

That's actually a good point I overlooked. I have heard from foreigners that that is something they do admire about America.

I still stand by my criticisms, and I want to question you with this.

What customs and practices do we currently follow that echo from those documents and ideas that are still only found in the United States?

Many other wealthy nations have adapted their laws and rights similar to ours now, and I argue that our groundbreaking freedom no longer is unique in any regard (other than being the first).
>>
Australia is a country that has far less unique culture than the US.

Australian "culture" for the most part is mostly working class Britain. We use the same language largely as chavs, our TV is mostly Australian adaptions of British panel shows or British crime dramas, our politics are defined largely by Westminster tradition and heavily influenced by UK politics.

US culture has had a heavy impact on Australian culture as well, but that is more in the economic and urban sphere, for example, Australian urban layout is 100% taken from US suburbia. Australia has a strong car culture it imported from the US as well.

As someone who has travelled quite a bit with major US on one end and major UK on the other

It goes

US - Canada - Australia - New Zealand - UK.
>>
File: mehta-datalab-executiveorders1.png (58 KB, 575x1052) Image search: [Google]
mehta-datalab-executiveorders1.png
58 KB, 575x1052
>>924342
>figurehead
Even though Obama intervened in Libya, Egypt and Syria without approval from congress. Not to mention the obnoxious amount of executive orders he's used to get around congress. Most presidents use executive orders to get their own way without having to be approved by anyone.

Pic is from 2014 so I'm sure it's not accurate on Obama.
>>
It's a meme used by ethnomasochists and globalist shills to justify their political power at the expense of the nation and/or ethnicity's culture.

When I lived in Japan, the leftists and globist shills said there was no Japanese culture, that they were just a mongrel Hodge podge compared to America and China. When I lived in Korea, they said the same thing, that there was no "Korean culture", and that Koreans were a mutt race with nothing distinct about them, lacking in the culture and tradition that Americans and Germans have.

Every nation and ethnicity has a culture, you just haven't found something you can romanticize or are being paid to say otherwise.
>>
>>926293
>ethnomasochists

Pretty clever buzzword.
>>
>>924099
It's because there is no uniformed culture. There exists an insane amount of primary cultures based on region, city, and state. Northern culture is often quite different than deep southern culture, etc.
>>
>>926306
Thanks. I originally was going to say "virtue signallers" but that's not very specific to the topic at hand.
>>
File: 1385070250670.jpg (45 KB, 558x418) Image search: [Google]
1385070250670.jpg
45 KB, 558x418
>>925108
You mean like how British culture is just a bastardization of the Angles and Saxons, or Mexican culture is just a shitty ripoff of the Spanish?

Or how every culture on Earth is just an awful descendant of whatever came before it?

I'm not even American or Australian. You're just wrong.
>>
>>924298
>Implying black people don't steer American culture in every aspect except country club etiquette.
>>
>>924162
>brutally honest
stopped reading right there
>>
Yuropoor here. Imo, Americans have a culture. A better question would be.

>Does Canadian culture exist
>>
>>924099
The US had culture but then they adopted capitalism and you know how that goes.
>>
>>926324
No. It's the same in European countries but often in even smaller numbers.
>>
>>926219
>groundbreaking freedom
As opposed to who? Because revolutionary france was already pretty free.
And I wouldn't say that you have the possibility of "transcending social hierarchies", probably even less than other nations, because wealth determines your worth. It's some kind of new world aristocracy in disguise.
>>
File: you-mad-bro-he-mad-son.jpg (29 KB, 464x332) Image search: [Google]
you-mad-bro-he-mad-son.jpg
29 KB, 464x332
>>924099
The only reason anyone would argue something so stupid is because they mad. Of course the Americans have a culture, or cultures rather.

Pic related
>>
>>924426
We're still more pious than modern Europe though. America isn't as pious as it was in the 1950's, but we're pretty much the only first world country that actively debates the existence of global warming and evolution, so to say piety and faith no longer play a role in defining American culture is dead wrong.

Also, a broad sense of religious freedom and tolerance (at least towards the various Judeo-Christian denominations and sects) would be another aspect of American culture.
>>
Many people have a shallow definition of culture that focuses on surface-level stuff like food, music, fashion, etc. In that sense most of American culture is either imported from somewhere else or considered to be vulgar, trashy, and unrefined.

That's why you'll often hear foreigners say stuff like "Americans have no culture" or in the United States you'll sometimes hear nonwhites say that "white people have no culture" as some sort of insult.

Culture is really everything you were taught about the proper conduct, nature, value, and meaning of life by your larger society.

In that sense I would say America has an incredibly unique and powerful (in the sense of how influential and attractive it is to many people) culture. It's so widespread and influences everything you think and do to the extent that you don't even notice it, like oxygen.
>>
>>928805
This.
>>
>>924251
this.
>>
>>924914
>it's a British base
You do know we kicked the fuckers out twice right?

>Religious holidays and cuisine
>Superficial
Pick one
>>
>American """"""""""""" culture """"""""""""""

Nice meme.
>>
>>924296
Live in California, can confirm.
>MUH GOLD RUSH
>MUH SILICON VALLEY
>MUH HOLLYWOOD
>MUH UC BERKELEY
>>
File: ColoradoGoldRush1859[1].jpg (638 KB, 1512x1007) Image search: [Google]
ColoradoGoldRush1859[1].jpg
638 KB, 1512x1007
>>932040
Gold Rush culture (not just in California) IS American culture in a lot of ways. It's the embodiment of the American Dream and American values with all the positives and negatives that come with it.
>>
>>932040
Grew up in San Diego and I can't stand how insistent Californians are on their totally unique and powerful culture.

>TACOS AND GUAC XDD
>WE SAY "THE" BEFORE THE FREEWAY NUMBERS
>UGH TRAFFIC AMIRITE CALIFORNIA HAHA

Fuck off, maybe this is a thing in a lot of states but I hate it.
>>
>>932079
Calm down faggot
>>
>>932086
but I have autism
>>
>>924099
One aspect is that we tend to actually talk to strangers.
Apperently in Europe this is a weird thing to just strike up conversation.
>>
>>932079
>>WE SAY "THE" BEFORE THE FREEWAY NUMBERS

That's a SoCal thing 2bh. We aren't retarded like that up north.
>>
>>924099
It's because Europe is essentially an extension of American culture. Europeans no long hold to anything independent of American influence, or any values in opposition to America, and experience the bulk of their culture in the form of American exports or the trickle down of American Exports.

Because of this, the European can look at America and see nothing foreign, nothing distinct. Sure baseball is a cultural activity. And as early as 1936, in the heart of the regime most opposed to U.S. cultural expansion, Europe came together to form a baseball team to play against the Americans

So the European raised on American movies, American Music, American comic books, and American News, looks over at America and sees nothing unique. He sees exactly what he's always experienced. And then the European looks at his own past, his own religion, his own history and he finds something alien, something incomprehensible to himself. And so he either complains that it is foul, superstitious and racist, or her claims it was always at the forefront, the closest thing to America the world had ever seen at that point.

Europeans scoff at the concept of American Culture the same way a fish would scoff at the concept of an ocean.
>>
>>932099
Hahaha dude you are hella making that up.

Take the 101 to the 280. If you live where I live San Thomas Expressway pronounced Santa Moss.
>>
>>932113
The Bay Area swagfags are really just tryhard wannabe SoCalers so my point still stands. Outside of the Bay Area and SoCal no one talks like that. Since that's where the majority of the population lives I understand why you think that applies to the entire state but it really doesn't.

In terms of traffic CA residents have valid reasons to bring it up all the time, considering congestion here is the highest in the nation.
>>
File: il_fullxfull.142861556.jpg (28 KB, 736x381) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.142861556.jpg
28 KB, 736x381
>>932136
Dude, no one wishes they were from Socal :/

The LA Basin is a cultural shithole carved out of a desert wasteland. We should have stopped sending water to you Queens decades ago.

SoCal was what Tim Armstrong meant when he said 'Let California fall into the fucking ocean.'

https://youtu.be/2WELc3igcHM
>>
>>924099
Some days ago I was in a restaurant in Pisa. There was also an American family, they were playing uno while eating.
>>
>>932157
I agree that LA is a hellhole (I'm from non-Bay Area NorCal btw), but you shouldn't blame LA for the water crisis we face today. There are lots of valid reasons to hate LA, but their water use isn't one of them. Irrigated agriculture (particularly in the form of cotton, alfalfa for cows, and especially almonds) consumes 80% of the state's water despite only contributing about $40 billion to the state's $2 trillion economy.

But I agree, we should shut down the Central Valley Project and the California Aqueduct. Fuck the Central Valley and SoCal, NorCal waters should stay in NorCal to serve NorCal residents.
>>
>>932195
>Non-Bay Area Normal

Ohhhh, you are either a central valley cracker, a Santa Cruz crusthippie or a Eureka redneck.

I would say delta river rat but I don't think the delta has Internet.
>>
>>926293
>ethnomasochists
Can we please spread this word
>>
>>924149
>old dying mongrel dog
>new puppy mongrel
>hur dur old is better
>>
>>932107
/thread
Everyone go home except for hollow bants.
>>
>>932195
Is the state of Jefferson just a meme?
>>
>>932227
Mostly northern Central Valley (north of Modesto). I have a familiarity with all those places and people that you mentioned though.

>>932267
It's a meme for the most part but it was a semi-serious movement in the months before Pearl Harbor. But it may become reality if that new ballot initiative passes :^) (it won't).
>>
>>924217
Do you even anthropology?
>>
>>924162
>this
American here. I can go to every continent but one and still visit a familiar American restaurant. I go to Africa and see people wearing vintage t-shirts of US bands, logos, and losing super bowl teams. In S. Korea I hear US music playing in stores while youngfag US troops move about. Chinese people try to sell me bootleg copies of Hollywood films I've seen a thousand times. I know people who have dozens of Eurofag cousins because three generations of family were stationed across Europe and have been fucking their women. Intelligent people from many nations come here and receive research funding. Internet. Many smaller countries don't spend much on military because they know the US would defend them. Millions of people across the world learn about our Civil War for some reason.
>I clap my hands at every American thing I see abroad and tip locals with quarters so they can see the cool pictures
>>
>>932272
>Stanislaus county
>>
Speaking as an Euro immigrant to the US, the US certainly has culture. It's just that many Europeans think that culture = old shit. So just building a church isn't enough, you have to build a church and then have it stand in place for the next 1000 years.
>>
>>932079

>WE SAY "THE" BEFORE THE FREEWAY NUMBERS

Wait, other people don't do that? Shit, Las Vegas has a lot more cultural runoff from SoCal than I thought.
>>
>>932289
It's not the best that NorCal has to offer but it beats being stuck in Merced (or Lodi).

>>932307
Las Vegas is basically a colony of Los Angeles.
>>
>>924099
>American culture
Success, Liberty, and Peace.
>>
>>932425
>Success,
For who?

>Liberty
lol

>and Peace.
lol
>>
>>924099
No kings and shit, not thousand year old buildings, most aspects of culture are borrowed from other cultures, and the few unique aspects are often viewed in a negative light.
>>
>DUDE BURGERS LMAO

Even the national dish is stolen from Europe.
>>
>>935867
But Euros stole their religion from desert folk.
>>
>>924099
>american culture
>pic is the french flag

Sums it all up
>>
>>935867
it's not
>>
America has culture in fact it has a such a wide range of cultures in its borders that it has no real sense of national identity. Ask twelve different groups in America what it means to be an American and you'll get twelve different answers.
Thread replies: 142
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.