[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Open Discussion on Religon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: qOKdYch.png (39 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
qOKdYch.png
39 KB, 1920x1200
Thoughts?
>>
It's served its purpose in the past but the increasing scientific development and individualism has rendered it pretty much useless. That said, buddhism lifestyle appeals to me even though I don't know dick about it.

Anyone have any good entry-tier buddhism books?
>>
>>923432
Hell yeah dude check out The essence of Buddhism I have it, it's a great way to get started.
>>
>>923432
This Is It by Alan Watts.
>>
There's nothing to really talk about. I mean it's not like Jesus is going to stop being the messiah anytime soon.
>>
>>923432
I read Buddah in your Backpack back in highschool, I would consider that a nice starter. It teaches the basics behind "mindfullness"
>>
>>923432
What the Buddha taught
>>
File: 1459603437367.jpg (114 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1459603437367.jpg
114 KB, 640x640
>>923426
America isn't falling behind in technological development per say, but other countries are catching up. Religion has a lot to do with the stagnation of our practical scientific development. It isn't a priority in education. America could be great again if it re-embraced it's role as primary technological innovativor. But religious dogma is holding back our development of science at a grass roots level. We need to convince more youth to focus on STEM fields.

Thoughts? Am I wrong?
>>
>>923740
per se*
>>
>>923426

It's shit.

Buddism is a crook of bullshit too, there is no such thing as nirvana or any of that ascendant crap. Though, as someone who meditates quite often, I can definitely say it has it uses and can be very beneficial to you, unless you are suffering from severe mental illness, such as disassociation, if that is the case you need to stay away from mediation because it will make it worse, much worse.
>>
>>923758
How come that'd make it worse?
>>
>>923467
Well obviously.

To stop being something you have to at one point have been that thing.
>>
>>923760

When you are suffering from a disassociation with reality that is causing you a lot of panic, the last thing you need is your mind to be focused on how you feel, it will only help amplify your distorted senses and drive you away from any chance of ''getting your mind away from it''.

Also, meditation by itself commonly causes depersonalization (feeling like you are not real) so you definitely do not want to be messing around if you are already in a fragile state of mind.

It's like a depressed person doing hallucinogens, you are going to have a bad time, panic and probably end up traumatized for a couple months. That does not mean meditation cannot be helpful to people with anxiety/depression produced by negative thought patterns, which meditation can definitely help destroy the habit, I just would not recommend it for people with serious issues.
>>
>>923781
Yeah that makes sense.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.