[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It is common to say that someone who is far too conservative
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: Genghis_Khan.jpg (32 KB, 269x399) Image search: [Google]
Genghis_Khan.jpg
32 KB, 269x399
It is common to say that someone who is far too conservative or reactionary to modern tastes is "to the right of Genghis Khan", but is it true that Genghis Khan could be considered right-wing?

He did destroy the traditional Mongol way of life and created a whole new multicultural and meritocratic bureaucracy to manage their empire, isn't this sort of a left-wing thing to do?
>>
>>923398
>Right/Left
>Premodern politics
>Premodern asian politics.
>Premodern asian mongol politics.

>>>/pol/
>>
>>923398

>applying the right/left dichotomy to a fucking medieval-era conqueror

You might as well ask if Genghis was more of a Protestant or a Catholic.
>>
>>923398
I've always hated that stupid phrase for precisely that reason

Temujin is an annoying historical figure because just about everyone knows of him yet hardly anyone actually knows anything about him
>>
File: sulla.jpg (14 KB, 207x302) Image search: [Google]
sulla.jpg
14 KB, 207x302
>>923428
>>923433
You can apply "right/left" dichotomy to premodern politics in certain cases. For example, Gracchi, Marius and Caesar were clearly left-wing, while Sulla and Pompey were right-wing.
>>
>>923478
There's still no argument for extending the comparison to Genghis Khan, since most modern democratic modern states claim ideological successorship from classical civilization, but not from the Mongols.
>>
>>923398
>multicultural
if you conquer multiple cultures it isn't multicultural by design

>meritocratic
liberals are opposed to meritocracy

>bureaucracy
it was a brutal autocracy not like the bureaucracy that hands you your welfare check
>>
>>923478
Calling anyone before the French Revolution left or right is fucking stupid and pointless
>>
>>923633
1. Not true
2. Tru
3. You are exaggerating
>>
>>923478
how the fuck were marius, caesar, etc. left-wing? They were fucking men seeking power. Besides, most roman aristocrats were conservative as fuck
>>
>>923478
No you fucking can't. By "right/left" dichotomy, the Roman republic would be a fucking mess.

>>>/pol/
>>
>>923398
this gave me terminal cancer
>>923450
can you elaborate on this?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.