[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any good places to learn about how different societies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: food.jpg (3 MB, 2700x1800) Image search: [Google]
food.jpg
3 MB, 2700x1800
Are there any good places to learn about how different societies reacted to each others' foods?

I'm talking about how the natives of America tasted beef for the first time, how western traders reacted to Chinese foods. How the British reacted to curries. About how when the Japanese gave up isolation and sent out diplomatic parties, how they reacted to the food they were given. How India grew to love the chili pepper. How Korea, the Hermit Kingdom, integrated peppers into their daily cuisine.
>>
>>923334
>how western traders reacted to Chinese foods.
tl;dr
>DA SPICES???? WHERE U GET????
>>
>>923356
Not the whole broad economic view of setting up the spice trade or whatever.

Individual reactions to the dishes they were eating.
>>
>>923334

I heard that when the Spanish conquistadors first encountered the potato, they heard from the Incas that it was an edible plant, and tried eating the fruits (which are poisonous) and got sick. I can't find a source for this story, but I have read that the potato met some resistance in Europe, because people thought it was bad for you and caused disease.
>>
>>923382
Yep. One noted example of a guy fighting back against the preconception a century later was Parmentier.

Dude got pissed off that no one was eating potatoes when they were so nutritious that one of the stunts he did to make people accept it was to make a huge potato garden and hire guards to look tough around it.

Then he told his guards to fuck off and take bribes from curious strangers that were wondering what kind of plants were so valuable they needed guards. That way the gullible fucks would take potatoes, cook them, and plant them for themselves while patting themselves on the back for fucking over a rich man.
>>
>>923334
Europeans thought corn was poisonous because they cooked it incorrectly.
>>
White people in the Americas didn't like to eat Native food because they hated them and fetishized French food.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.