[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any reason to believe that consciousness survives death?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (112 KB, 660x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
112 KB, 660x900
As the title suggests are there any reasons from a philosophical standpoint to believe that there is an afterlife or some sort of continuing consciousness?
>>
>>922575

do these like scientific type books count??

http://www.amazon.com/Science-Near-Death-Experience-Consciousness-Survives/dp/1594773564/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1459588751&sr=8-3&keywords=consciousness+past+death'

there are tons of them
>>
>>922585
>Near-death experiences

Not that shit again.
>>
>>922575
Same question, other way around:
From a philosophical point of view, is there any reason to believe in death? Why would the mind be affected by the body no longer working?
"The mind is in the brain!!!11!" is no argument because you can not prove it and you certainly can't assess what happens to the mind once the brain dies, you can only guess.
People seem to see physical death being the end as the default position but it is really not, that is only because of the natural scientifically oriented culture we live in. Belief in an afterlife is also kind of arbitrary and stems from our christian roots.

The true default is the buddhist perspective of not believing in death at all. There is no reason to believe that physical death affects the mind.
>>
You wish for it to be the case sounds like a good enough reason to me.
>>
>>922614
Do you have though any arguments to suggest that the mind is distinct from the body?
>>
>>922632
Nope, do you have any arguments to suggest that the mind is inherent to the body not based on induction?
>>
Tons of near death experiences.

It's pretty much settled that life continues after death.

Christianity is right again.
>>
>>922635
Was your mind active before you had a body, or did your mind start with your body?
>>
>>922641
Near-death experiences are just that: near-death.
>>
>>922641
Why would you trust the experiences of a brain that's near death without actually dying?

That doesn't confirm anything
>>
Doctor here, no, just no, grow up and deal with life.
>>
File: 1421952545874.jpg (209 KB, 500x344) Image search: [Google]
1421952545874.jpg
209 KB, 500x344
what is your consciousness doing when you are asleep?

there is no reason consiousness would continue.

but maybe consiousness isn't what we are really asking about.

but rather just being.
>>
Is there anyone who sincerely believes their mind isn't anchored to the brain, that actually acts on that belief?

I think it's pretty well established that the body affects the mind.Otherwise, how else would "mind-altering" drugs function. How would you explain how damage to the brain affects personality?

Only people completely ignorant of developments in neuroscience for the past half century could possibly humour the idea of the brain and mind being seperate
>>
>>922644
Nobody knows.
>>
I've toyed with the idea of consciousness or the mind, so to speak, operates in a different dimensional level than the rest of the body and that the brain acts as a sort of conduit into experiencing other dimensions. Once the body dies your mind/soul would be unable to remain in the current dimension and so slip back to its original dimension where there may be a collective of other disembodied souls.

I've since written the idea off as bologna.
>>
CANT
KNOW
NUFFIN
>>
File: Heraklitos.jpg (143 KB, 1280x1054) Image search: [Google]
Heraklitos.jpg
143 KB, 1280x1054
>>922575
>"Death is that possibility which is the absolute impossibility of Dasein. As such, it cannot be compared to any other kind of ending or "running out" of something. For example, one's death is not an empirical event. For Heidegger, death is Dasein's ownmost (it is what makes Dasein individual), it is non-relational (nobody can take one's death away from one, or die in one's place, and we can not understand our own death through the death of other Dasein), and it is not to be outstripped. The "not-yet" of life is always already a part of Dasein: "as soon as man comes to life, he is at once old enough to die."

Death is oblivion. Accept it, and live your life according to that knowledge.
>>
>>922706
But if you have no memory of your pre-body self, then it it doesn't really matter does it?
>>
>>922614
>"The mind is in the brain!!!11!" is no argument because you can not prove it
Feel free to remove your brain via a shotgun slug.
>>
>>922733
/x/ trying to sound smart is worse than /pol/ talking about chemtrails or HARRP
>http://psychcentral.com/lib/types-of-brain-imaging-techniques/
>>
>>922575

Consciousness is a property of the mind.
Mind is a property of the brain.
Consciousness doesnt exist on its own.
Mind doesnt exist on its own.
They are just ideas.
Deal with it.
>>
>>922793

Is it possible to have more than one mind?
>>
>>922807

Depends on the definition of the mind.
>>
>>922614
>"The mind is in the brain!!!11!" is no argument because you can not prove it
>people with brain damage don't turn into mindless cabbages
>>>>/out/
>>
Maybe brain slows time down and person lives an eternity at final moments of his life, you know dreams only happen last seconds before waking up but it's period can be perceived as hours, days maybe years.
Personally i often dream about going somewhere far and living there for years and it feels like very real.
>>
>>922824
You can't prove that brain damage is what's causing the loss of conciousness, maybe its coincidence, maybe its God testing our faith, maybe our eyes are not even real so how can empirical evidence be real?
>Philosophy in a nutshell
>>
>>922842
kek
>>
>>922842
Philosophists BTFO.
>>
>>922842
it's true tho. it might also be an evil demon less powerful than god deceiving us.
>>
>>922652
You've died?
>>
>>922635
>Nope, do you have any arguments to suggest that the mind is inherent to the body not based on induction?

You can literally MR your toughts and feelings.
>>
well, you already came into existence from nothing, so I don't see why it wouldn't happen again

ask yourself, what makes you sure that when you die you're going to stay dead? already once before you came from non-existence into existence, so why wouldn't it happen again? what's to make sure it would never happen again?

people say "mind is brain hurr", but that doesn't explain much. why am I this brain and not your brain? why do I experience my sensations and you yours? and not the other way round?

is it because there are no selves at all? but that doens't explain mch because then why do I feel this brains experience, and you feel that brains? why are you those atom/neurons, and I am these ones?

people who say there's no life after death haven't thought it through. the biggest argument I have against them is that, if there was no life before this one, how is it that you went from non-existence into existence? why was it you that feels your life and not someone else? if you didn't exist before your birth, then how is it that you came into existence from nothing? something can come from nothing?

it makes no sense. so, you existed as nothing, and then for some reason you now experience an entire lifetime? and then nothing again?

but, why wouldn't you have just stayed non-existing, and someone else become born as your body? why was it you and not them?

it just literally makes no sense. how could something non-existence, become something that experiences your life?

it only makes sense if you say you existed before this lifetime, and you will exist afterwards. to say you came from nothing and will go back to nothing, makes no sense. because something can't come from nothing. ask yourself, if death mean non-existence, then how do you make sure you'll stay dead? if death of this lifetime means you go back into the same state you were in before birth (non-existence) then how are you going to make sure you wont come back into existence before? it already happened once.
>>
>>924020
>>924020
is it even possible to not-exist?

people say "you not-existed" before this life, but that doesnt make sense because there was no "you" to not-exist.

and they say when your brain dies, there will be no more existence, but how do you make sure of that? you already came into existence as this brain/body, so how do you know it wont happen again?

this is hy I think there must be some sort of soul. if you didn't exist at all, then how did you come into existence in this life? why was it you that feels your existence, and not something else? why didn't you come alive as something else?

it's just so weird and random, I don't see why non-existence at death is seen as 'rational' and scientific.

already once before (that we know of) you came from nothing into something, so why wouldn't it happen again?

and that's just retarded anyway, nothing can't become somethng. so that's why I think I existed before this lifetime. I must have existed, otherwise how did I get "allocated" this lifetime? and you got allocated yours? why wasn't it the other way round? or we didn't get allocated at all? it makes no sense.

therefore it makes more sense to just say you always existed. when your body stops functioning you probably just 'wake up' into another freaking lifetime.

it's like sleep. how do you survive actual gaps in your consciousness? wy is it you that wakes up and not someone else taking your place? that makes no sense, so either you must still exist in some way during deep sleep, or there really is no gap and it's just, lie down - dream -wakeup. and the gap we say exists because other people are awake for x hours during that time doesn't exist because our experiences aren't all at the same objective time there's differen presents for everyone
>>
>>922614
>"The mind is in the brain!!!11!" is no argument because you can not prove it and you certainly can't assess what happens to the mind once the brain dies, you can only guess.

Then why humans change their behavior and way of thinking after severe brain damage?
>>
>>922585
>>922641

NDEs are nothing more than endorphins-trips augmented by oxygen deprivation.
>>
>>922771
but i also don´t remember beeing a baby, therefore my body was never on a baby level?
>>
>>922842
maybe the connection between conciosness and your body get lost and therefore you can´t interact properly with your environment
>>
>>922575
No one has disproved it.
Go ahead, try it, fags.
>>
>>924183
>muh need for absolute knowledge
>muh cant know nuffin therefore i get to make whatever shit up that i want

How about this for a proof. If quantum field theory is correct (and there's plenty of evidence that it is), there is no field by which anything could interact with your brain and therefore no dimension for magic soul particles.
>>
>>924140

Not that anon, but:

Your baby self doesn't exist anymore, your brain got rid of useless memories including those you had at that time.

This furthers the point that your existence is related to your brain, as your perception of yourself and others grow with it.
>>
Easily one of the stupidest threads I have read through in my life.

>get a chunk of your brain cut out
>can't speak, recognize faces, walk, or whatever
>everyone agrees
>totally destroy the entire brain
>B-but you can't KNOW that my fully intact consciousness doesn't magically float off to heaven when I die!
>>
File: 1371146206041.jpg (104 KB, 469x640) Image search: [Google]
1371146206041.jpg
104 KB, 469x640
>>924062
>>924020
>>
>>922842
>maybe it's coincidence
>maybe it's God testing our faith

>ever single time someone gets a lobotomy it produces similar results
Looks like neurosurgeons managed to find a way to hack God and probability.
>>
>>922839
That's completely backward. If your brain slows down then time will seem to pass much faster for you and you have less time to process information and think. Sorry
>>
>>924295
Who says it was fully intact? If it's a metaphysical object like a soul, it might not necessarily be the entire consciousness. Like, your brain has all the data needed to recognize faces, walk, talk, and do other stuff on this mortal plane, but is there some other source of energy that powers you, maybe even influences your attitude a little bit? Something more to your thoughts than a brain?
>>
>>924573
you're simply begging the question
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.