[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I posted this to /k/ but have a feeling I will get better responses
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: Heinz_Guderian.jpg (135 KB, 600x711) Image search: [Google]
Heinz_Guderian.jpg
135 KB, 600x711
I posted this to /k/ but have a feeling I will get better responses here...

If somebody wanted to teach themselves how to become a capable military commander, what would be the best way to go about it?

Please note, when I say commander, I mean someone who can plan campaigns, has a strong grasp of logistics and supply chains, is skilled in both tactical and strategical thinking, and preferably have an understanding of basic statecraft.

I have been largely focusing on contemporary Guerilla leaders such as Võ Nguyên Giáp. I also have been delving into the histories of Caesar, Guderian, Alexander, Subotoi, and anyone else who strikes my fancy.

Thank you for your help or anything you may add
>>
>>922566
What do want to do with this knowledge?
>>
Go to Military School
>>
>>922568

irrelevant

>>922571

I'm not sure the current US way of training military leaders is producing outstanding results. I have an open mind and am willing to take my chances. Most of West Point is studying history anyway, I can do that on my own.
>>
>>922576
Tell me m8
>>
It's equal parts studying and simply being born with the ability.

Read as much as you can on former military commanders from Alexander the Great all the way to now. Learn what made them great and how they accomplished what they did. Read, read, read.

Like another anon said go to a military academy. You can do it on your own, sure, but its more effective when being completely dedicated to nothing else which is the kind of environment you'll find.

Secondly, its simply being born with a strong intuition, perception, and charisma. Those are senses you'll have to hone but generally speaking you're born with them or you're not.
>>
>>922681
Can anyone go to a military academy though?
>>
>>922576
>Forward into Battle by Paddy Griffith

The first edition (1981) took a critical look at the accepted wisdom of historians who interpreted battlefield events primarily by reference to firepower. It showed that Wellington's infantry had won by their mobility rather than their musketry, that the bayonet did not become obsolete in the nineteenth century as is often claimed, and that the tank never supplanted the infantryman in the twentieth. A decade later, the author has been able to fill out many parts of his analysis and has extended it into the near future. The Napoleonic section includes an analysis of firepower and fortification, notably at the Battle of New Orleans in 1815. Additional discussions of the tactics of the American Civil War have been included. The evolution of small-unit tactics in the First World War is next considered, then the problem of making an armored breakthrough in the Second World War. Following is a discussion of the limitations of both the helicopter and firepower in Vietnam. The author points to some of the lessons learned by the U.S. military and the doctrine which resulted from that experience. Concluding is a glimpse at the strangely empty battlefield landscape that might be expected in any future high technology conflict.

>Modern Military Power by Stephan biddle
>>
>>922686
Oh my no. You have to be younger than 23, unmarried, no dependents, and you've got to provide SAT/ACT scores.

Each academy also has their own individual requirements that you'd have to look into.
>>
>>922663
I want to impress this boy I like.
>>
>>922700
Would you mind revealing your gender? Sorry for asking, I know it's very rude...
>>
>>922700
>pssst, hey kid
>wanna learn how to lead armies?'
>how to manage logistics?
>read about the advantages of a concentric attack?
>i have copies of Clausewitz in the trunk
>hop in the car
>>
>>922681
>>922694

thanks for the input, I appreciate your help
>>
>>922715

I would like to clarify ahead of time and avoid confusion that this >>922700
is not the OP, I am the OP and I am a man.

Not that it matters.
>>
>>922725
Ah, thank you my friend.
>>
>>922725
Bro, it's 2016, it's totally cool if you want to wage war to impress a boy.
>>
>>922889
fpbp
>>
File: scouts-logo.gif (10 KB, 842x595) Image search: [Google]
scouts-logo.gif
10 KB, 842x595
>>922566
Join the Scouts Association (Boy Scouts of America if you're a Yank) as an adult leader. If you can get boys to work together as a unit, then you can do it with anyone. They will send you on many courses to learn how to do this. It's just management in extremis, really.
Planning a summer camp is logistically similar to planning a camp-aign. You will also get to play wargames like "capture the flag" and "man-hunt" (scouts call these wide games)
It's also a lot of fun, and will give you much kudos in the community. The statecraft/diplomacy comes in when handling parents and subordinate leaders (once you climb the ranks).
>>
Learn the fuck out of budgeting.
Learn your history, and your sociology.
Learn the current state of geopolitics.
At this point, the US military knows how to operate. The real thing to worry about is the effect of US actions on the people you're acting on and the other players in the global field.
>>
>>922998

I agree with your post except

>At this point, the US military knows how to operate.

judging by Afghanistan, no, they DO NOT
>>
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.