[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
File: 1972_Electoral_Map[1].png (171 KB, 1182x635) Image search: [Google]
1972_Electoral_Map[1].png
171 KB, 1182x635
What went wrong?
>>
N I X O N
I
X
O
N
>>
>>921754
Nixon's SS officers forgot to intimidate the populace of Massachusetts and DC.
>>
Is this the best political bumper sticker of all time?
>>
America won the Cold War so tough stance on foreign policy is no longer popular and the generation that was raised under the commie reforms of the 60's and 70's reached voting age, and now their kids are also reaching voting age
>>
>>921811
"I Like Ike" is better
It's too perfect
>>
McGovern was a weak candidate, Edwards was slandered, the Dems were divided, and the Trickster was a little bit god-tier. Oh, and the New Left had decided to try out terrorism.

I honestly don't get the Electoral College, though. I really don't. I know it was originally to keep the poor out, but what purpose does it serve?
>>
>>921827
It's designed to keep populists and demagogues out of the Oval Office.
>>
>>921827
It's so the minority can be represented in some way.
>>
>>921821
There needs to be a candidate whose last name is Dove or something similar so they can have stickers that say "I Love Dove"
>>
>>921754
>didn't even win his own state

Pretty sad 2bh. McGovern was a pretty cool guy, though. He had a PhD in American History.
>>
>>921754
What's the grey part of North Carolina supposed to be?
>>
>>922213
First off that's Virginia (bordering Kentucky) and as the key says that's a delegate that was awarded for some reason to the Libertarian candidate Hospers.
>>
>Endorse an international policy that can literally be summarized as being a goddamn violent psychopath who could fly off the handle at any moment and launch the nukes
>Surprised when the Cold War escalated into an ever higher level of tension and fear

Why was Nixon considered a master diplomat again? And don't say China; the Chinese-USSR relationship had deteriorated to the point where China was desperate to open up its embassies to American Diplomats and re-center the balance of power.

Though if the goal was to fuel the military-industrial process, I'll admit Nixon did a great job.
>>
>>921839
That sure is working now.
>>
>>922301
That remains to be seen.
>>
>>921827
The Founding Fathers didn't actually think allowing Joe Average to decide who ran the country was a good idea. They wanted to avoid Tyranny of the Majority.
>>
>>921754

DICKED.com

also, no one remembers that LBJ bugged Nixon supporters just like watergate
>>
>>925228
>LBJ bugged Nixon supporters just like watergate

Source?
>>
>>922228
No, not that grey bit, the one on the coast of NC that's the same colour as the background.
>>
>>925739
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_Banks
>>
Non American here. Why was Watergate bad again? Is not that what every modern politician does?
>>
>>925861
It's the first time the American public found out on a national scale all at the same time. It broke their trust with the president entirely, something that hasn't happened before.
>>
The ability for a citizen to live off of the government and willingly do nothing.
>>
>>925861
He would have survived without the tapes,
>>
>>921827
the smaller states would be irrelevant in a pure popular vote. being as we are a federation that is something to be avoided.

But yes the less poor people voting the better.
>>
>>924013
Yeah making sure the winning candidate doesn't actually win totally wont cause riots...
>>
>>926001
It's already happened as recently as 2000, when Gore won the popular vote but Bush won the election.
>>
>>921754
Nixon honestly did more good than bad. Hell his bad was that he had an incompetent fan club, he kicked out all government members he personally did not like, and he opened the gate to chinese goods which... in a huge stretch that I personally don't believe... made the job crisis today and promoted cheap labor.

I am not calling hating hippies a bad thing. There was a reason to be worried about unproductive members of society.
>>
>>925972
Haven't that lost its purpose with the rice of the central government though?
>>
>>921754
that map looks pretty good to me
>>
>>930062

the fall is most certainly coming.

After the debt ceiling falls through the fed will have no money to pay for it's programs, departments, gibmedats, etc.

It'll be up to the State governments to pick up the pieces until a new over-structure can be built, albeit with massive cutbacks.
>>
>>925069
Instead we got tyranny of the minority.
Fuck the electoral college.
>>
>>921827
It serves no worthwhile purpose. Educate yourself.

http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/
>>
>>931748
The electoral college honestly wouldn't be that bad if the delegates were proportionally allocated instead of the retarded winner-take-all system in place now. Simply making the electoral college proportional would solve the most problems with the least change required.
>>
>>932027
Maine and Nebraska actually apportion their electors in a similar way, but they do it by congressional district. Even then it still allows for a slim chance that the winner of the popular vote not get the most electors, which I can't abide. Going by popular vote is the ideal, where each individual voter IS an elector. Aside from the NPVIC, though, your method is the most pragmatic.
>>
>>922301
The Internet wasn't a thing when there was a real populist challenger before now.
>>
>>926001
Just to clarify, are you suggesting Trump is a winning candidate in the general? Because the electoral college doesn't apply to the primaries.
>>
>>930141
I thought he meant what has gone wrong since then.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.