[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
were the spartans trully the best warriors that have ever existed?.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: spartans.jpg (50 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
spartans.jpg
50 KB, 800x450
were the spartans trully the best warriors that have ever existed?.
>>
Didn't they get assraped when their enemies changed their formation a bit?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Leuctra#Battle
>>
>cuck themselves every other week because of some dumb religious festival
>>
>>920213
meh, they mostly took advantage of having very very experienced soldeirs who were very good fighters, but they most just took advatage of groups who'd win by zerging their opponents with no military strategy. They are far from the only warriors to ever be "born warriors" and forced from childhood to train, they were really just the only classical greek country to really employ those type of military standards to their troops, which got heavily romanticized over the years by the romans, who we later romanticized.

If we're talking about individual skill, even then they weren't as good as other countires warriors, as they mostly relied on tactical formations and working as a group to win their battles.

If we are looking at individual skill in terms of martial prowess, I'd probably argue a Viking Warrior would probably be much more deadlier on their own then a Spartan, I'd argue a Mongolian Horse Archer to be much more deadly. Hell, i'd probably say the Persian Immortals were probably better single warriors, european knights, a samurai, hell i'd probably put any type of good bowman over these people.

They were by far the scariest of the greek city states though, but that isn't really saying all that much.
>>
>>920297
>that 3rd paragraph
>a viking warrior

Jesus Christ it's like I'm watching Deadliest Warrior. Fuck off /his/.
>>
>>920297
Why are you even posting? You clearly know nothing about the subject matter.
>>
>>920297
>a viking warrior

Nope, as overrated as the Spartans if not more.
>>
>>920213
Yes
>>
During the Peleponesian war they were the best heavy infantry yes, in later periods not do much
>>
Wasn't hoplite warfare very primitive? I remember reading that the Spartans were shocked that the Thebans were able to halt during their advance during Leuctra.
>>
>>922057
The whole thing that was difficult was getting the phalanx to do more that just basic maneuvers
>>
>>922057
Yes.

The idea that the Athenians at marathon actually MEANT to perform a double envelopment is rejected because, and I quote there is "no evidence of tactical thinking in greek warfare of that period."

Greek thinking was about as advanced as kids dodge ball-Jim can throw as hard as Tim, and we only have Jim, so match him against Tim, put all the shit kids against their shit kids, and so on.

Best tribe/city/whatever here, second best there, everyone else fill towards the middle.

Go forward, try not to die.

>>922063
The phalanx wasn't the issue, the greeks were.
>>
let's see how they do against guns, not so proud are you now fuckers
>>
File: w_103_h_hypaspists.jpg (74 KB, 663x899) Image search: [Google]
w_103_h_hypaspists.jpg
74 KB, 663x899
Sparta a shit. They're the third best out of the Dorians.
>>
>>920213
Hell no, any Roman gladiator group can take them.
>>
>>922099
If gladiators are so tough, how come the Romans didn't have gladiator armies? Bet you can't answer that, Caitlin.
>>
>>920213
Maybe in a world that didn't include the Portuguese Army Commandos, Deborah.
>>
File: 1414018333843.png (561 KB, 490x490) Image search: [Google]
1414018333843.png
561 KB, 490x490
>>922116
>>
>>920213
So What's up with the dick helmets
>>
>>920213
As far as I understand it, they weren't extraordinary fighters, they just had a permenant standing army and trained soldiers at all times while other Greece states didnt. So by comparison, they looked like warrior gods.

The the whole 300 spartan thing neglects the 800 or so extra soldiers from other Greece states that they had with them
>>
>>922153
Kek.. never noticed it
>>
>>920297
Jasmine shut the fuck up

>>923184
They had their helots as well. But the whole 300 thing is more of a modern meme; they were still greatly outnumbered though.
>>
>>923184
They did show them even in the movie though
>>
>>922053
>During the Peleponesian war they were the best heavy infantry yes

Probably, but not by much. They were basically on par with the other Greek states of the time.
>>
>>923184
>they looked like warrior gods.

...who still lost as often as they won.
>>
File: 1453415658012.jpg (258 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1453415658012.jpg
258 KB, 720x960
>>920213

A question which is hard to answer considering you have to take into account all kinds of technological and tactical differences.

Maybe at least in the context of their time period they were in relation to other cultures more dedicated to being complete warriors and soldiers , than any other warrior culture before or after if that makes any sense.
>>
>>920213
Best of their time? Maybe

Best ever no? No

It's a shame that Rome never got to face a proper sparta
>>
>>923184
>The the whole 300 spartan thing neglects the 800 or so extra soldiers from other Greece states that they had with them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNa3Co83_gk
>>
>>923184
>The the whole 300 spartan thing neglects the 800 or so extra soldiers from other Greece states that they had with them

no it didnt. Did you even watch the movie?
>>
File: laughing.jpg (59 KB, 550x340) Image search: [Google]
laughing.jpg
59 KB, 550x340
>>923403
>Did you even watch the movie?

Sparta had a queen?
>>
>>920213
Bullshit, check your facts nigga.
>>
>>923184
Do you get all your historical facts from Dan Carlin's podcasts?
>>
>>923241
Is that the Spartabot 3000?
>>
>>920213
No, Tebe here
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.