[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Moral Foundations across Religious, Gender and Political Lines
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: Morals.jpg (15 KB, 393x336) Image search: [Google]
Morals.jpg
15 KB, 393x336
There's a growing amount of literature in moral psychology that argues peoples' ways of seeing the world differ starkly across political divides.

Conservatives, strangely enough (and as you can see in pic), are said to have a more egalitarian spread of moral considerations, while those on the left are apt to consider care and fairness above all.
They also have different conceptions of fairness. Liberals want everyone to have the opportunity to reach a certain level - i.e. short person needs higher chair to be level with others - while conservatives respond with "if he gets a high chair, everyone should!"

Jonathon Haidt has also argued that, much in keeping Hume, it is our passions and not reason which shape our moral judgements. And as such it is those who experience sympathy to a greater degree that become liberal (supporting political policies that support the "little guy"). Whereas rightists are usually people more prone to feeling pride or disgust. These people are more patriotic, consider societal order the ultimate achievement, and are much more likely to oppose acts they don't like the thought of (sodomy, anyone?).

What do you think of this? Do you like the idea that it is our feelings, and not our reason, which are shaping our political stances?

And, if you have the time, please attempt this short academic questionnaire on this topic:
https://goldpsych.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9WR2Z3DYIADK7jL
>>
bump for interest
>>
>>918066
It is literally 5:45 AM and you are laying this thread on me?

I think who ever did this is trying to make too much of political leanings.
>>
File: world culture.png (50 KB, 1265x625) Image search: [Google]
world culture.png
50 KB, 1265x625
>>
I thought this was real for a second.
>>
>>918066

Yes. There is a growing body of work that show our primary political considerations and voting are based entirely in emotion and the sub-consciousness. Very little reason goes into it.
>>
File: 1459078641979.jpg (24 KB, 367x358) Image search: [Google]
1459078641979.jpg
24 KB, 367x358
>>920580
I laughed
>>
>>920615
what causes our emotion and sub-consciousness to behave in a certain way
>>
>>920580
Balt detected
>>
>What do you think of this? Do you like the idea that it is our feelings, and not our reason, which are shaping our political stances?

Obviously, that is how ideologies and moral foundations can be so contradictory in the first place.
>Government hands off my medicare etc etc.
People are tribal by nature, that's why we're so fascinated by politics wars and sports
>>
So feels over reals actually applies to all of us?
>>
It seems like anyone could support any political ideology depending on how they interpret it.

For example, someone prone to feeling pride or disgust and therefore inclined towards the right might support Communism if he views himself as being slighted or robbed of his rightfully earned wealth by Bourgeois parasites.

Or someone who is more inclined to care for others might support traditionalism because they see it as "back then there was more togetherness and people looked out for one another".
>>
>>918066
When will the survey's results be known?
>>
I got to see Haidt speak at the University of Florida. He pretty much went through his TED talk.
I like his ideas and listened to his audiobook. I really liked his concepts of "crossing the Rubicon" and other sections from the evolutionary perspective on human development.

On his Rider and Elephant thing, I feel like it is pretty much spot on. But I am a WEIRD, atheist liberal without much perspective on ethics or anything.
>>
>>918066
>moral psychology

What a crock of horseshit.

Unless you're studying brain chemistry, psychology is little different than Scientology.
>>
>can't choose 'other' for gender

fucking dropped
>>
>>918066
So that is why the right wing is so full of traitors.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.