[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a historical precedent of backpackers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: dreamstime_xl_31762033.jpg (182 KB, 800x565) Image search: [Google]
dreamstime_xl_31762033.jpg
182 KB, 800x565
Is there a historical precedent of backpackers?
>>
>>916469
yeah, gypsies

well desu unless you were rich everyone would just pack up their shit and walk places, so yeah, everyone.
>>
Ibn Battuta
>>
Sort of, but it was much more restrictive before the 70s, because old fashioned tents were hella heavy. Modern tents are basically spinoffs of Bucky Fuller's tensegrity concept.
>>
Pilgrims
>>
>>916469
define backpacker
>>
>>916469
>>916489
Everyone
Carpetbaggers
>>
File: 1458061572436.png (339 KB, 1024x640) Image search: [Google]
1458061572436.png
339 KB, 1024x640
I've always found backpackers to be a bohemian's take on mass tourism.

Because what are backpackers really doing? Are they travelling 'more authentically'? What does that even mean? Was there an authentic way to travel then? Travel in premodern societies was either motivated by trade or religion. People didn't go and see sights necessarily. Or it had to be because you were a scholar/artist, but not just to have your bucket list down.

So I do think that backpackers are just mass tourists doing it in a cheaper way. They are just consuming sites, collecting postcards by taking the pics themselves.

Like all the backpackers I met couldn't understand that I wanted to be in a city for 2 weeks or longer. They just move on to the next city in a matter of days.
Even the way they describe their travels, it's all about "I saw this many countries!"
Consumerism really. Nothing too countercultural imo.
>>
>>916613
It's cheap and that's all. Plus there's a lot more freedom than those guided tours where you need to stick to some schedule.
>>
>>916469
People used to walk in the wilderness with a purpose, not just to go for a walk. In the US and Northern Europe, trappers and hunters used to live out in the wilderness as bushmen, guiding travelers and whatnot. Think Daniel Boone and people like that.

Northface pretty much invented modern backpacking when they started to make Backpacking gear in the 70s (this is before their lifestyle stuff became popular). Before that, you had to pick from heavy as fuck milsurp or hunting gear to go camping.
>>
Irish Travelers
>>
>>916469
The humans that kept fucking walking until they reached the Americas
>>
It was common among aristocrats to travel to other european countries when young.

Of course you could hardly call it backpacking, but it comes close in other aspects, traveling to see countries, places, learn new ways, languages, socialize etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Tour

>The Grand Tour was the traditional trip of Europe undertaken by mainly upper-class European young men of means, or those of more humble origin who could find a sponsor.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.