[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My life.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: images-9.jpg (8 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
images-9.jpg
8 KB, 284x177
What do you think?

I think therefore I am
It's logical to assume souls could exist but impossible to prove.
I am alive.

Therefore I have physical and possibly spiritual needs.
If I meet my needs fully then I am physically and possibly spiritually satisfied.
Being physically satisfied might make you like a king.
Being spiritually satisfied might make you like a god.
For the sake of argument lets call complete satisfaction at any one point in time order.

In life one should constantly strive for order and eliminate entropy.
Perfect order all the time can only be achieved by functioning in such a way to assure satisfaction at all times.
The way one functions can be called a form.

To achieve the best form possible I follow these steps.
1. Write down needs.
2. Write down goals. You should pick goals based upon needs. If you achieve all goals you satisfy all needs.
3. Turn goals into actionable steps. All steps completed in order completes goals.
4. Write schedule to complete steps.
5. Follow schedule.
>>
>>916429
except you deny the dynamic nature of your existence. achieving order is impossible even for the smallest amount of time because the world around you (including your body plus physical needs and the objects in the outside world needed to satisfy these needs) just like the world within you (including "spiritual" needs) are in constant change. The moment you write down needs they are out of date, the goals you pick refer to an image of the world that is no longer valid and the schedule you try to enforce upon your life can correctly be applied to a certain unique situation, one exactly like which will never again arise.

This is what happens when you forget to introduce the dimension of time to your schema.
>>
>>916494
I define one of my needs as the need to reasses needs.
Goal to create the most accurate list of needs possible and reasses/make changes daily.
Of coarse you are right that I can't perfectly conceive of or codify needs, and they change so I will always have a certain amount of imprecision.
Perhaps I wouldn't even exist if I perfectly satisfied all needs. If i did exist in that state then perhaps I'd be god. I am alright being human so I'm alright with a little bit of imprecision.
>>
>>916494
Perhaps you are wondering if I can't achieve order why do I strive for it?

To answer my own question:
Idk life seems pointless to me so I do what seems most logical.
If I cared I would probably a) be a theist b) make up some other reason to live.
c) commit suicide
But these all seem pointless and illogical so... meh
>>
>>916590
Just pointing out that the kind of order you talk about is unobtainable. I do agree however that this is a very functional strategy to live life effectively.

Also, both physical and spiritual needs can to a large portion be socially constructed. Maybe add a point about reassessing whether your perception of your needs has arisen from your own logical thinking and empirical observation of your life and mind, to what extent it is socially guided and in what belief systems or cultural values (of which culture) your needs are routed. This will help you better understand yourself and might even get rif of false" needs for you.

>>916625
Well, you chose b): Fulfilling needs as a made-up reason to live.
Personally, I choose b) also, my made-up goal is being remembered as a tragic figure who wants to live in harmony with nature and inspire people to reduce population/technology by becoming the next Unabomber. I'm still a bachelor student though, the bombings will have to wait until I've finished my doctor's degree.
>>
>>916683
Hmm ill have to think about the extent my needs are influenced by social interaction/society. But I'm not sure if this will increase self awareness and therefore help me better assess needs. The potential that it will help me makes it a question worth the time and energy it will take for me to answer though so ty.
I don't have a reason to live I just do. As long as I'm alive it seems most logical for me to live like I am. Unless you are stating that logic is my made up reason for not dieing... which is true. So maybe thats a distinction without a difference because not die is synonymous for live if you are talking about something that is in fact alive already. So i will take that point under consideration and try to revise my rhetoric. Good points.
>>
>>916683
Unabomber? Wow. I mean I kind of get what you want to do but there has to be a better way... it would be simpler with less people, but why not take a more openly political stance and be a spokesperson for eugenics or environmental activist... support planned parenthood?

Then again terrorism is pretty effective. So idk.
>>
>>916429
>It's logical to assume souls could exist but impossible to prove.

Well, it's not a matter of provability (I assume you mean empirically) because it's a metaphysical concern.

>For the sake of argument lets call complete satisfaction at any one point in time order.
>Perfect order all the time can only be achieved by functioning in such a way to assure satisfaction at all times.

This is tautological. You are saying that in order to achieve x you need to act in a way that will achieve x.
>>
File: BvxITRwCcAA9mDI.jpg (26 KB, 514x386) Image search: [Google]
BvxITRwCcAA9mDI.jpg
26 KB, 514x386
>>916683
>>
>>916683
>some of you are alright
>don't go to universities and cancel your airline flights tomorrow
>>
>>916429
>It's logical to assume souls could exist

Only in the truly fatuous sense that ANYTHING /could/ exist. There is no more reason to assume souls exist than that the Flying Spaghetti Monster exists, or that any of the 13 or 14 quite different types of soul the Ancient Egyptians believed in exist. Do you worry about nurturing your BA and KA?

You are your body. Deal with it.
>>
>>917902
>You are your body
There is no more reason to assume the body exists than that the gentle mountain giant Rübezahl exists. Induction is invalid. Deal with it.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.