[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was that spot in Eastern Europe spared the devastation of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 10
File: Sans titre.png (65 KB, 338x342) Image search: [Google]
Sans titre.png
65 KB, 338x342
Why was that spot in Eastern Europe spared the devastation of the Black Death pandemic?
>>
quarantined in time

also poland was kind of a backwater and no one really went there anyway
>>
>>915615
>Poland was more of a backwater than scandinavia, russia etc
>>
No Jews to poison the wells.
>>
No wells for Jews to poison.
>>
Jews won't poison their own wells.
>>
Didn't Poland have one of the biggest Jew populations?
>>
tbqh if I was a Jew and constantly had to deal with shit and pogroms from retarded Christian peasants and shopkeepers I'd probably poison their wells too.
>>
>>915676
jews got poisoned by the wells and died
>>
to no poison wells the Jew.
>>
no wells for jews to poison
>>
>>915603
There is fucking no way that the West of Ireland and fucking Samiland got the plague and Milan didn't. I'm calling bullshit.
>>
>>915603

The Jews weren't going to poison their own wells, duh.
>>
This could have been a interesting thread, but no. Instant shit upon by braindead memesters.
>>
>>915741
Probably Jews trying to keep us away from the truth.
>>
>>915603
It's stupid to poison your own wells, fucking kikes
>>
File: vitalikbuterin.jpg (124 KB, 1680x818) Image search: [Google]
vitalikbuterin.jpg
124 KB, 1680x818
>>915638
hansa merchant guilds and trade flourished in the north sea, baltic and tributaries, even as far north as the white sea, the successor states of the mongol empire stretched all the way to China, the Danube and Dnieper connected Hungary and Kiev to the world

Poland was kind of a vacuum for many centuries, anyone seeking cultural and intellectual life left
>>
>>915603

Why would the jews want to poison their own wells?
>>
>>915603
Wells were saving Jews for the holocaust.
>>
What's up with the Milan area?
>>
>>915805

Merchants.
>>
>>915656
>>915661
>>915666
>>915676
>>915690
>>915692
>>915703
>>915725
>>915749
>>915753
>>915795
>>915796
This is more shitposting than a Voltaire thread
>>
>>915874
Welcome to /his/
Where meme history is made.
>>
>>915807
Happy merchants?
>>
>>915945

Wouldn't you be happy if your city was spared when everyone around was was dying of the plague?
>>
>>915603
Even the Black Death wants to avoid the shitbucket that is Poland.
>>
I believe Milan built a wall. Not sure who paid for it.

Dunno about Navarre.
>>
Damn these jews sure are tough.

Listen they just didnt catch the plague because their region was insignificant in trade. Were quarantined by internal struggle. The diets of the people were high in natural anti biotics. Little to no migration...pyrenees was not the first place people had in mind when they wanted to travel and neither was part of eastern europe...
>>
>>915969
Mexicans
>>
File: 1459462921346.png (66 KB, 338x342) Image search: [Google]
1459462921346.png
66 KB, 338x342
Water trade, or lack thereof
>>
File: 320px-Vistula_river_map.png (197 KB, 320x346) Image search: [Google]
320px-Vistula_river_map.png
197 KB, 320x346
>>916161
>>
>>915874
"Sometimes I go about and poison wells"
-Mark Zuckerberg
>>
>>915603
>that spot in Eastern Europe
It's called Poland.
>>
>>916165
Was never as big a deal as Baltic-Black Sea or Black Sea-German trade. Those were the highways of the day, and the transmission went East to West anyway. Vistula is against the grain.

Is the Vistula shallow enough to freeze, or too shallow to support ocean-going ships?
>>
>>916165
>The Vistula is navigable from the Baltic Sea to Bydgoszcz
>>
>>916171
If it's worth anything, the Hansa had an office in Krakow and one of their most important cities Danzig(gdansk) was placed at the river's end.
>>
>>916228
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vistula
>For hundreds of years the river was one of the main trading arteries of Poland, and the castles that line its banks were highly prized possessions. Salt, timber, grain, and building stone were among goods shipped via that route between the 10th and 13th centuries.[21]
>>
They realized early and they burned all suspects. If you had a cough odds were you'd be burned.
>>
Better map
>>
Better hygenic standards, le plumber meme is real - they had better sanitary systems than the rest of Europe.
>>
These maps aren't too exact to begin with. In many parts of Europe noted as affected were actually barely was and could be hardly called devastating.
>>
"Oy Vey! Don't drink from that well!" - Polish Merchant
>>
>>916161
So the Jews couldn't poison their wells?
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 520x272) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 520x272
First he poisons our cinema next he'll be poisoning the wells again
>>
>>916419
This is actually true when it comes to Bohemians under the rule of Charles IV. They had better hygiene and sanitary standards than say, the French.
>>
>>916454

le stinky french man meme
>>
>>916466
It isn't a meme, check the primary sources about medieval Paris and people who emptied their chamber pots full of shit out of their windows, trash piling up in the streets, rats everywhere, etc.

And for the matter London was largely the same until early 19th century.
>>
I feel awful for laughing at well poisoning jokes but anyway.

Would water trade and access be part of it? What was crowding like in the cities?
>>
>>916508
There were no wells to poison.
>>
>>915603
The gray actually signifies a high Jewish population
>>
>>916433
I wonder if Lucky Lorentzski cancelled his dental appointment at the well on the morning of the Black Death?
>>
>>915603
it would be a bit silly to poison your own wells
>>
>>915603
Two reasons.

1.) No well for Jews to poison.

2.) You know how Milan took super stringent measures to stop the plague? Well Poland's king order those on an even greater level.
>>
>>915874
/his/ is now /pol/ and /leftypol/ with dates.
>>
>>917985
and /rel/
>>
>>915603
Jews had good hygiene, everyone but poland kicked out the jews, so the poles got good hygiene
>>
The Pripyat Marshes mostly lie within the Polesian Lowland and occupy most of the southern part of Belarus and the north-west of Ukraine. They cover roughly 104,000 square miles (269,400 km2) surrounding the sandy lowlands of the dense network of rivers and rivulets forming on both sides of the Pripyat River, one of the main tributaries of the Dnieper.[1] Dense woods are interspersed with numerous swamps, moors, ponds and streams extending 300 miles (480 km) west to east and 140 miles (225 km) north to south.
>>
>>918059
>Jews had good hygiene

Now that is the kind of humour i like to finish my visit to /his/ with. Thanks friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivzIMSCDyFk&bpctr=1459507733
>>
File: XlnyV.jpg (20 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
XlnyV.jpg
20 KB, 300x300
>>915796
Top kek as they say
>>
The plague was somewhat less common in parts of Europe that had smaller trade relations with their neighbours, including the Kingdom of Poland, the majority of the Basque Country, isolated parts of Belgium and the Netherlands, and isolated alpine villages throughout the continent.[

Source: Welford, Mark, and Brian H. Bossak. "Revisiting the Medieval Black Death of 1347–1351: Spatiotemporal Dynamics Suggestive of an Alternate Causation." Geography Compass 4.6 (2010): 561-575
>>
>>916292
How come Flanders is left untouched? I'm pretty sure the plague fucked shit up in Ghent, Bruges, Ypres and Lille
>>
>>916501

You have actual primary sources for people dumping their own shit outside their front door?

Care to share?
>>
> ITT: we post dank jew maymays
> ignoring that the map also shows England
> all jews had been expelled from England 60 years before

Shitheads
>>
>>922385
>> all jews had been expelled from England 60 years before

Yes, exactly why England was affected by the plague; the Jews didn't have to worry about letting it loose because It wouldn't kill their own
>>
>>922422

>they can get the plague to England despite not being able to get to England

Shithead
>>
>>922429
What is conspirators, what is poisoning the trade ships leaving from the rest of Europe

Good Goy
>>
>>922433

>They were free to infection England because they wouldn't infection themselves
>They managed to find conspirators (despite not being able to get to England) who were willing to infection themselves
>They were also able to infect ships without any risk of becoming infected themselves
>le dank /pol/ maymay

Faecescranium
>>
>>922443
>Being this triggered by a silly Jew meme
>>
>>922448

>I'm a shithead posted braindead maymays
>I'll post another maymay when someone calls out my idiocy, that'll make me look clever
>>
>>922457
I'm not joking when I say If you want pure, filtered, sterile discussion you should not be on 4chan and would probably find a better environment on one of Reddits obscure subreddits.
>>
>>922464

>pure, filtered, sterile discuss
>instant shitting all over a thread with ebin maymays

Pick one and only one
>>
Very good discussion on this topic here if you want an answer other than >jews http://history.stackexchange.com/questions/16699/why-was-poland-spared-from-the-black-death
>>
>>922377

Gypsies still do this
>>
>>922475
>With a wagon pulled by horse 15 - 25 miles/day takes 9.6 - 16 days. With a wagon pulled by oxen 10 - 12 miles/day takes 24 - 20 days (most people who were infected with the plague died within 24-72 hrs so it becomes easy to see that most would die on the way before reaching the more dense populations
intredasting
>>
NOT EVEN PLAGUE RATS WANTED TO GO TO POLAND
>>
People would rather die of black death than go to Poland and I can't blame them.
>>
>>915603
Because God loves Poland!
>>
>>915603
Weirdly enough, I don't remember there ever being a mention of the Black Death in Serbia in history classes.

We learn that the Black Death happened, but it was something like "it happened in the West" but not like it happened here.
>>
File: image.jpg (237 KB, 865x966) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
237 KB, 865x966
>>915765
>>
>>916170
Poland is central europe you pleb
>>
>>915603
Rats didn't want to get infected by poles.
>>
>>923820

dude ..... sick memes.... I see you post on reddit too? Epic ;) have my upvote!
>>
>>915717
Milan went full fucking retard with the quarantine measures. They literally walled sick people within their own houses and then burned them down. They also practiced the venetian quarantine system.
>>
>>915603

papist shithole, not even the plague wanted to visit
>>
>>923806
WE WAZ TATARS N SHIT
>>
>>915603
That picture is misleading, since it asserts that there was a homogeneous distribution of deaths in the covered areas. Fact is that most people who died lived in cities and densely populated places. Poland didn't have that many of those so less people died.
>>
>tfw I was late to the wellposting
>>
BASED MILAN.
>>
>>924780
And a chin chong nip nong to you, young man.
>>
>>917985
It's good that /leftypol/ has a stake here. I was surprised that this place is ideologically diverse. I was expecting it to be /pol/ 2: TELL ME ABOUT JULIUS EVOLA.
>>
>>924449
that counter meme was not fresh sorry dude better luck next time
>>
>>915603
Notice how we don't see the amount of plague in Israel. It makes you wonder.
>>
>CTRL + F "well"
meme'd
>>
Jews bathed, King built a wall, and Poland wasn't a big player in trading.
>>
It's because Poles drank hot new vodka and killed the bacteriae.
>>
Stop of asking questions, niemcy

Cute little Polan has ways
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.