[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Silesia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: Provnice_of_Silesia.png (786 KB, 1929x1230) Image search: [Google]
Provnice_of_Silesia.png
786 KB, 1929x1230
Is their any independence movement to speak of?
>culture
>history
>>
>>913477
the independence movement is a complete meme

>culture
"we're Poles but actually we're Germans actually fuck you"
>history
lmao
>>
>>913477
Coal
>>
>>913477
Europe is full of independence movements
>>
>>914022
active seperatist movement on bornholm

no
>>
>>914022
>Normandy
>Occitania
>Independence movements

Even Alsace and Savoy are debatable, what a shit map.
>>
>>913477
>>913607
Culture and history is very cool. There's a lot of mixed Polish, German and Czech influence along with indigenous stuff stemming from mostly industrial development in the last 200 years.
But the independence movement is >>913607, basically it's loaded with massive resentment towards Poland caused by the inevitable downfall of the industry. That's regardless of the fact that actual native Silesians nowadays only form a majority in upper Silesia and Opole (areas marked pink in your map).
>>
>>914022
I bet that Jan Mayen movement is a real problem for Norway.
>>
>>914022
I hate these meme tier maps with a passion - the Moravian independence "movement" is literally a couple of hundred people who got something like 0.2 % of votes in the 2010 parliamentary election and didn't even run as a party in the 2013 one...
>>
>>914022
What happened to sea of azoz
>>
>>914022
Most of those are memes.
>normandie
>occitania
unheard of in france, for most people

>alsace
>savoie
mostly muh culture muh language, barely aknowledged outside of the region

>bretagne
commies and racists/fascists (depending on the time in history, sometimes both at the same time) unhappy with the gubermint

only corsica and basques are serious about it, but even they toned it down lately and basically gave up the arms
>>
>>914022
It'd be great to have so many different nations, it'd make Europe less boring
>>
>>914038
>>914038
What happened to ethnic Silesians?
>>
>>914199
Lower Silesians got slowly, over centuries, assimilated by Germans. Thus they were treated as Germans after 1945 and mostly left or were expelled. About 100-150k of them remain, mostly in cities like Wroclaw, Walbrzych or Zielona Gora.

In Upper Silesia ethnic Silesians remained and form majority in two Polish provinces: Silesian and Opole. And they are the meme ethnic group.
>>
>>914022
As everyone else said, most of these are irrelevant. The only ones which could feasibly achieve independence in the next twenty years are Catalonia, the Basque country (in Spain), Scotland, and Northern Ireland. Belgium could also split.
>>
>>914249
>>914249
So it wasn't that they left its that they were considered Germans
>>
>>914271
They were considered as Germans, so they mostly left or were expelled.
>>
>>914280
>>914249

It's fair to add, that the Poles who lie in Lower Silesia nowadays have a huge turn on for the regional history and culture and they largely DO identify with it. Unless we take some weird Nazi genetic understanding of ethnicity, modern Lower Silesians are also Silesians.
>>
>>914288
As long as the culture is being somewhat kept alive.
>>
>>914297
It definately is. It experiences a massive reival as of now.
>>
>>914304
Now we need some more revivals, I'm thinking like Ruthenian, Prussian, Thracian, get all the cultures
>>
>>914347
>Ruthenian,
Ruthenians basically re-imagined themselves as Ukrainians when they became a political nation. There's a small amount in trans-carpathian Ruthenia that still consider themselves Ruthenian and want nothing to do with Ukraine
>Prussian,
Yeah, there's some cultural revival in northern Poland corresponding to Royal Prussia. Ie. the Prussian lands that were under the Polish crown since 1500s, as opposed to Ducal Prussia which was under the Hohenzollern duke who was a vassal of Poland and then crowned himself the king in Prussia. Basically, the ethnic substrata there remained more or less the same since early modern era,.
OTOH the modern Russian exclave of Kaliningrad oblast where Konigsberg lies had most of its population expelled after WW2 and there's very little continuity.
>Thracian
I think Bulgarians and Macedonians feel some affinity towards the Thracian identity to this day.
>>
>>913477
independence movement is active only in upper silesia, near katowice
it's probably the only place where some of the population actually consider themselves more silesian than polish

>culture
>history
very rich, but it doesn't really matter that much after wwii, as most of population was resettled there from what is today western ukraine
>>
>>914022
>Italy ends at the top of Lazio.
LOL Who in Bologna doesn't consider themselves Italian?
>>
>>914399
>I think Bulgarians and Macedonians feel some affinity towards the Thracian identity to this day.
I still don't get why those two don't joint up and become one country. Would be worth it at least to see Greece lose it's mind.
>>
>>913477
>history
rightful Czech clay
>>
>>914022
>tfw outer hebrides will never be free from the anglo yoke
hold me pls
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.