[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did gladiators fight for real or were their battles choreographed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: title-pic.jpg (97 KB, 944x416) Image search: [Google]
title-pic.jpg
97 KB, 944x416
Did gladiators fight for real or were their battles choreographed like modern day American Wrestling?
>>
>>912649
It was real.

What wasn't real was that it was all the time deathmatches.
>>
There is a gladiator cementary showing well battle wounds so it was real but it wasn't constand deathmatch either Flamma is said to lose 4 battles and usually gladiators were killed off outside of the arena if they were too crippled to continue their carreer.
>>
They were real but also heavily dramatized. Galadiators were to refrain from killing their opponents if possible and to draw out the combat so as to appeal to the crowd and lower the risk of loss of profit for their owners. Gladiators were expensive to maintain after all.
>>
File: Gil02.jpg (84 KB, 566x800) Image search: [Google]
Gil02.jpg
84 KB, 566x800
>>912688
battle wounds doesn't mean it was real.
Also, gladiator weapons were made to be uneffecient on purpose.
Pic related
>>
You can fight with real weapons to the first blood, a man can fall to the ground without being dead yet, etc. so you do know there is a middle ground between deathmatch and pro-wrestling.

You could also order gladiators to execute prisoners so you would also have death AND spectacular, inefficiently showy moves to entertain the crowd.
>>
>>912716
That's how I imagine the gladiator games to be honest.
Like there is prisoner killing by professional gladiators on the one side, and choreographed fights and scprited drama between pro gladiators on the other side.
>>
File: _48383651_gladiator-skull.jpg (476 KB, 976x549) Image search: [Google]
_48383651_gladiator-skull.jpg
476 KB, 976x549
>>912706
>battle wounds doesn't mean it was real

they had some pretty hardcore fakes then
>>
>>912733
those were probably prisoners killed by real gladiators
>>
>>912733

Gladiators were actually strong fat rather than buff like on Spartacus, that way they could cut each other without causing any permanent injuries.
>>
>>912760
>strong fat

you mean like this?
>>
File: 024bdbca407c.jpg (76 KB, 900x676) Image search: [Google]
024bdbca407c.jpg
76 KB, 900x676
>>912768
>>912760
forgot the pic
>>
>>912760
hard to be buff like spartacus before steroids existed
>>
>>912733
>Merely pretending.
>>
>>912770

Yes

Keep in mind that ancient people had no concept ridiculous 6 meal a day paleo diet to get down to 6% or some such bullshit that we have today. It was pretty much meat and eggs high protein diets on top of exercising
>>
>>912689
they spend their shagging women who naturally wanted nothing but being fucked by their favorite gladiators
>>
>>912785
I know gladiators had celebrity status but were they really allowed to fuck bitches?
>>
>>912783
>ancient people
>pretty much meat and eggs high protein diets
Come on, son.
>>
>>912790

Ancient people had some rudimentary understanding that consuming certain foods would make one bigger.
>>
>>912819
Yeah, but that's not what I was saying. Saying they had a lot of meat and high protein diets is false.
>>
>>912819
Are you completely unaware we have records of gladiator diets and training regimes? They ate a fatty porraige mixed with ash
>>
>>912822

They understood that certain foods were better than others. They did not have to understand the concept of protein for that
>>
>>912825
Okay, but that's not what I said at all. Ancient people did not have high protein diets. That's all I said. Saying otherwise is ignoring historical facts.
>>
>>912826
This except for kings and shit, they ate alllll the meat- gout everywhere. Also if you count fish as meat, then the proles did have regular servings- red meat was more expensive and generally for special occasions
>>
>>912826

Not all of them no, but a prized gladiator was hardly a typical person. Basic understanding of fitness and athleticism goes as far back as the ancient Greeks and the first Olympics
>>
>>912836
Basic fitness does go back that far, but gladiators weren't as prized as you make them out to be. They would have had almost no meat consumption at all.
>>
>>912843
Did they get pocket money to spend like in Spartacus? Id buy a burger wiith it if i was fed ash porridge every day
>>
>>912783
Explain 6-pack breastplate
>>
>>912875

Some people have natural 6 packs but it isn't indicative of actual core strength
>>
>>912878
6-pack only means low bodyfat, 12% or lower
>>
>>912875
Makes pudgy middle aged rich guys look fit and ripped.

Doesn't mean you need a six pack in order to fit in it lol
>>
>>912886
you entirely missed his point.
>>
>>912886
his point was ancient people knew how six packs looked like so obviously some of them were legit ripped
>>
>>913087
Of course, six packs are just from low bf%. Many people would have abs since there wasn't a surplus of food and they worked hard (soldiers training and peasants farming).

The Gladiators were purposely pudgy not only because they were stronger, but because it would help with dealing with hits (cushion the blow). They probably just wore the muscle cuirasses because they looked good and were popular.
>>
>>912875
not only does this dispel the idea that ancient peoples didn't get fucking ript, it also dispels the idea that they didn't think this was fucking awesome.

top tier post.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.