[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
100 Years War
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
Anyone know any good documentaries about the 116 year conflict between England and France?
Also any informative TV series about individual battles like Agincourt, Crecy, Patay etc would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>912246
Calling it one war is pretty silly. It was actually about 4 wars. The 1st won by the English, the 2nd by the French, the 3rd again by the English, and then wrapped up with a final French victory.
>>
>>912249
Calling it a conflict between the French and the English is pretty silly.
>>
What I'd like to know is how it affected English-French relations. Is this where the whole 'Englishmen and Frenchmen are mortal enemies' thing comes from?
>>
>>912246
>between England and France

Between the French kings in Paris and the Frenchs king in London*
>>
>>912256
Hello, Lindybeige!
>>
File: BattleofSluys.jpg (229 KB, 555x433) Image search: [Google]
BattleofSluys.jpg
229 KB, 555x433
>>912246
Not many documentaries on the hundred years war, mostly only ones about Agincourt... A good book series is Jonathan sumptions 'Hundred years war' tho
>>
>>912264
^
>>
>>912256
>Nation states.
Calling it a"""""""""""French""""""""""""""" or """"""""""""English""""""""""""" war is sillier. It's a dynastic war.
>>
>>912265
It that *was* lloyd I'd grill im. Probably nobody better to break it down for you in terms of people you've heard of
>>
>>912261
That and the many wars after it, ending in 1815 at Waterloo.
>>
>>912261
>'Englishmen and Frenchmen are mortal enemies'

Honestly that's more of a modern thing that's been applied to history. The reality is that the citizenry of France and England didn't really care for one another, and the nobility of both states didn't hate each other any more than they did other Europeans.
>>
>>912264
The french kings in London were clear to make a distinction between themselves and non islanders by the time of Edward III. Everyone from king to peasant identified as English.
>>
>>912322
Completely wrong. French peasantry especially hated the English because of chevauchees
>>
>>912323
>Everyone from king to peasant identified as English.

Even though the King didn't speak English as his first language, and also thought he was King of France too?
>>
>>912246
>Anyone know any good documentaries about the 116 year conflict between England and France?

Not that I've seen. They are all Anglo-centric and revolve entirely around Crécy, Poitiers and Agincourt.
>>
>>912325
All the kings since Edward I spoke English as their first language
>>
>>912324
But the men performing the chevauchees would have spoken French.
>>
>>912325
During Edward iii's reign, Parliament started to be held in English. The dominant literary language also became English. Edward iii did not speak English as a second language. He was taught and knew both from an early age because by the 14th century the aristocracy of England had become more or less assimilated to the native culture and had formed a separate identity from France. Even by Henry iii's reign, the upper classes wished to purge 'aliens' ie. Frenchmen
>>
>>912334
No. The men who went on chevauchees were all yeomen. Many were actually criminals who served in order to avoid prison and to gain some wealth
>>
>>912338
Lindybeige has been BTFO in this thread. Next time I check my subscription box on YouTube I'll see: "The 100 Years War - England vs. France?!?!?"
>>
>>912348
Does Lindy go on /his/?
>>
>>912348
Who is lindybeige? Why is he BTFO?
>>
>>912358
Probably not, I'm joking,

>>912368
He's an English YouTuber. Very patriotic about good ol' Britannia. He's a bit of a dindu nuffin.
>>
>>912374
>probably not
Darn

He's entertaining if anything
>>
>>912306
The hundred years war was actually the point at which France and England formed the idea of nation states
>>
>>912401
>The hundred years war was actually the point at which France and England formed the idea of nation states
Stupidest thing i've read all day.
>>
>>912458
>says something is stupid
>doesn't even provide a rebuttal

Contribute something or fuck off
>>
>>912256
>>912249
>>912246

Most of the war was between the Roy and his great feudalistic such as alienor of Aquitaine that give 1/2 of the France to the Brit, the duchy of burgundy that betrayed
>>
>>912307

> he doesn't know that Lloyd is his surname and that he's actually called Nikolas
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.