[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>avoid England for 40 years after being defeated near Jarrow
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 8
>avoid England for 40 years after being defeated near Jarrow
>avoid France after battle of Leuven
>muh varangian guard
>consisted of Saxons later on
>also got defeated
>muh Normans
>50% french admixture, no remains of norse culture by the time they conquered England

vikings are a meme
>>
>>910349
>50% french admixture

more like 90%
>>
fresh from getting BTFO in the previous thread you toilet scrubbing pole?
the Varangian guard originally formed under Basil II was 100% Norse, the same varangians that Vladimir of Kiev sent in 988 who he had brought from Sweden
>>
>>910411
and that 100% norse guard achieved what exactly?

tell me about their and viking military feats
>>
File: 1455660442117.jpg (484 KB, 1224x552) Image search: [Google]
1455660442117.jpg
484 KB, 1224x552
>>910349
>he uses a verb referring to a specific act to describe medieval Scandinavian culture as a whole
>>
>>910411
wow Rus were so fucking nordic right? I bet Swedes didn't mix with local Slavs or anything.
>>
>>910425
>put Vladimir, responsible for the conversion of what is modern Russia to Orthodoxy, on his throne in Kiev
>defeated the rebel Bardas Phocas and stabilized Basil II in the ERE
>spearheaded his armies thereafter in various expeditions agains the Arabs

>>910456
reading comprehension nigger, these were Varangians from SWEDEN, not Rus
>>
File: 1449258471227.jpg (64 KB, 494x211) Image search: [Google]
1449258471227.jpg
64 KB, 494x211
>>910433
>medieval scandinavian """""""""culture""""""""""
>>
>>910469
yet Rus' were the earliest members of the Guard

what's next? Were Romans Swedish too?
>>
>>910425
they didn't have any political bias, less likely to prompt a coup.
>>
>>910470
Still culture, just not as advanced at that time.

Aborigines did fuckall besides make spears and paint but they still had a culture based around their oral traditions and their sticks and paint.
>>
>>910495
and Rus were norsemen, unless you believe the names Helgi, Ingvar and the like are native slav names, lmao
>>
>>910511
>Rus were norsemen

I also heard Oda Nobunaga was Norwegian.
>>
File: >snowniggers.png (1 MB, 1446x562) Image search: [Google]
>snowniggers.png
1 MB, 1446x562
>>910501
At least you understand that snowniggers were the abos of Europe.
>>
>>910517
nice argument pal
did you create>>910506
this thread in another explosion of butthurt?
>>
>>910523
Shit, abos didn't even make shitty huts. They just hung out in caves.
>>
>>910524
if Rus' were Norsemen why russian languae has no trace of old norse?
>>
>>910533
a little thing called "assimilation"
Russians today just had the name passed down to them
>>
>>910529
Do not denigrate indigenous abo culture.
>>
>>910536
assimilation does not mean their influence vanishes you fucking idiot
>>
>>910470

So he was one of those morons who doesn't understand that pottery and axe heads are just as important to studying the past as treasure chests full of doubloons.
>>
>>910547
there weren't nearly enough to influence slavonic culture or language, they just exercised a temporary mastery over the native peoples before wholly assimilating themselves
>>
>>910543
I just stated a fact. It is a fact that Australian Aborigines did not build structures beyond primitive canoes.
>>
File: snowniggers.jpg (316 KB, 1125x1378) Image search: [Google]
snowniggers.jpg
316 KB, 1125x1378
>>910549
>ooga booga where da nuns at
>>
>>910554
sure they did have any sources for that?
>>
>>910557
Yeah, it's a little thing called living in harmony with nature.
>>
>>910560
literally any non pan-slavic "MUH CULTURE" """""historian"""""" on the subject, you arsehurt slavbaby
>>
>>910563
Why are you getting all passive aggressive?

Guy compared Ionic-era Scandinavians to pre-contact Aborigines. I replied that the former still had a greater level of technological progress.
>>
>>910572
wait you claim german historians know more about Russian history than ruskies themselves are you this retarded? Also saying ''literally'' and then ''muh'' is not providing a source.
>>
>>910576
I will not sit idly by and allow ignorant bigots such as yourself besmirch the glorious history of the abo people.

Only when the last coconut has been sold will you realize that technology cannot be eaten.
>>
>>910580
where did the Rus come from according to you then, Ivan?
>>
>>910582
>what are hydroponics
>>
>>910558
>Comparing Vikings to niggers
The Vikings did more than just pillaging.
>>
>>910589
>Ivan

oh so you actually would like to argue with russians about their own history? And you still didn't post even one source that proves Rus were swedish.
>>
File: 1448903619008.jpg (15 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1448903619008.jpg
15 KB, 225x225
>>910593
>>
>>910596
Are you suggesting blacks aren't capable of creating vast trade networks? Because I have a shit ton of drug dealers here in Baltimore that will tell you otherwise.
>>
>>910589
>hurr were did the Russians who lived in Russia come from I bet it's scandinavia xD

literally retarded
>>
>>910597
the swedes established colonies in the Finnish coast nearest sweden and spread into Russia proper, they got their name from the Finns who called them Ruo Salaiset, which is translated to Ruotsi in Swedish
the Swedes called North and Central Russia "Svipjod en mikla" which means Great Sweden
the native Slavs took up this name from the Finns and called them Rus
>>
>>910624
that's nice

source?
>>
>>910470

Must be imagining that huge literary corpus.
>>
>>910597
the varangians came as traders and raiders, setting up garths which is translated to "goroda" in Russian and which the natives flocked to for protection
some native slavs had already established petty states called volotsti

>>910628
Sigfus Blondal's "the varangians of byzantium" with references to Adolf Stender-Peterson, both linguists with extensive knowledge of Old Norse and Old Russian languages
but nah, lets just use the biased pan-slavist widely criticized Russian narative because
>its THEIR culture THEY should know it, right?!?!
arsehurt
>>
>>910628
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=russia
>>
>>910597
>The first element (NOV(YI)) of Novgorod, for instance, a Slavonic vocable, while its Norse name of Holmgardr was formed through a part of the town being situated on an island in the adjacent lake. Kaenugardr was also formed as a name from a corruption of the Old Russian name for the inhabitants of the district (Kiyane Gorod)
>>
>>910638
Let's listen to widely criticize 18th century german theory instead because it fits your pro scandinavian worldview right Sven?
>>
>>910652
nice argument, and they're actually widely accepted while the biased Russian narrative is denegrated
but you don't care, because that hurts your feelings
>>
>>910655
>widely accepted

every time I read any article about Rus' it always says their origin is up to debate where did you get that ''widely accepted'' from? Stormfront?
>>
>>910663
>up for debate
I don't see much debate from you, you're just questioning the sources because they come from people who aren't slavbabies like yourself
>>
What is going on in this thread?
>>
>>910675
there's this one pole I recall people talking about who would constantly shit on vikings and spam shitty threads like these and proceed to get arse inflamed when people disagreed with him
>>
>>910589
>Scholars such as Omeljan Pritsak and Horace G. Lunt offer explanations that go beyond simplistic attempts to attribute 'ethnicity' on prima facie interpretation of literary, philological, and archaeological evidence. They view the Rus' as disparate, and often mutually antagonistic, clans of charismatic warriors and traders who formed wide-ranging networks across the North and Baltic Seas.[20][21] They were a "multi-ethnic, multilingual and non-territorial community of sea nomads and trading settlements" that contained numerous Norsemen—but equally Slavs, Balts, and Finns

seems like the most plausible theory
>>
>>910678
first I was Ivan then I'm a Pole? Wow I have such a rich heritage.
>>
>>910680
so it is purely coincidental that the Rus and Varangoi, traders and raiders, came about at the same time as the Vikings, who were also traders and raiders and bear stark resemblance to the former in their descriptions
>>
>>910692
excuse me I totally forgot my name is Omeljan Pritsak and Horace G. Lunt at the same time and it was me who came up with this theory yes it's a good idea to direct this question to me I agree
>>
>>910692
>>910680
how does this theory cope with the ambassador Liutprand's description of Rhosi/Varangians at the court of Nikephoros
>the Russians by whom we call other names Norsemen
hmmmm

what about the treaty between the Kievan Rus and the Byzantines in 911 which has names with obvious Norse origin attatched to it?
hmmmm

what about the origin of the word "varangian" itself, derived from old Norse vàr/varar (vow of fidelity), which came from proto-norse Varingr which came from West Germanic Prototype wareganga, meaning "a foreigner who has taken service with a new lord by a treaty of fidelity with him"?

>>910702
so you've got no idea what you're talking about, thanks for sharing, retard
>>
File: 1393003339756.jpg (51 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1393003339756.jpg
51 KB, 500x500
>>910702
>>
>>910708
Not to mention every other source that agrees, including the annals of St. Bertin
>>
>>910708
yeah yeah argue with scholars anon I'm sure your /pol/ degree is quite an achievement btw I heard some pretty interesting theory that Sun Tzu was from Stockholm and so are Chinese
>>
>>910716
I'm sure that german guy wasn't biased at all.
>>
>>910717
this wasn't an argument, just a series of your butthurt posts followed by evidence against them and a subsequent arse ravished autistic response from yourself
and we'll have this thread again
and again
and again
all from the same slavbaby's IP
>>
>>910411
Varangians were exterminated by Turkroaches not long after. Shows how formidable they were
>>
>>910708
Just give uo on this guy he won't respond to your arguments with anything worthwhile.

Also 'varangian' is a name used often in northern Norway. If they say where they are from they attach 'væring' to it. Nowadays it means both 'weathered' and 'settler'.
>>
>>910747
It means something like "rowdy young man" in Old Icelandic as well
>>
>>910589
their mothers cunt
>>
File: 1430518374503.jpg (96 KB, 596x628) Image search: [Google]
1430518374503.jpg
96 KB, 596x628
>>910900
>>
>>910356
Yep
50% is the ammount Rollo's son (born 893) had
So by 1066, you can believe they had much more than that
>>
>>912664
There was significant settlement fampai. Furthermore the "French" in that area were a mixture of Franks, and Gaul with some perhaps distant Roman roots. Frank's themselves were quite Germanic too of course, and so the Normans which emerged were ethnically mostly Frankish-Gallic, adopting a Romantic language.
>>
>>910425
>viking military feats
well shit anon, have you misunderstood the fundamental definition of the word viking?
They were traders, pirates and settelers hailing from scandinavia between the 8-th and 11-th century.

They did not have a nation but rather faught and went on expeditions to increase their own wealth
>>
>>914163
why shill farmer killers as warriors then?
>>
>>914260
They simply used thier naval prowess to employ easy low-risk high-reward strategies.
Like raiding monastaries or looting undefended coastal settlements and shit. They would also occupiy citys and leave it without a fight for a ransom.

But they were good fighters, the living conditions in scandinavia at that time bred strong indivituals had to endure a lot of shit to survive.
>>
>>914310
They're overrated as warriors though
>>
>>914310
>they were good fighters

as evidenced by what?
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.