[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/phil/osophical reading list.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: Untitled.png (27 KB, 846x188) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
27 KB, 846x188
I'm interested in trying to take on the philosophical canon on my own while I'm on a break from school. How should I tackle this?

I've already got the works of the Greeks at my disposal, the pre-socratics, Plato, and Aristotle. After I finish those, where do I go from there?
>>
Tbqh, everything you've ever going to read after reading the Greeks is basically commentary on their work.
>>
>>910199
What about people like Kant or Wittengstein? Admittedly I only have a passing familiarity with the works of most philosophers, and as of yet have gained most of my knowledge from secondary literature, but I have been led to believe that most of philosophy goes a little farther than being mere commentary on the works of the Greeks.

I think Whitehead was being intentionally hyperbolic when he said that shit.
>>
>>910218
I was being intentionally hyperbolic as well.

If you are really interested, I'd start with Descartes, and then do Hume and Kant etc. And after those perhaps do Hegel(if you can stomach it), followed by Schopenhauer and Nietzsche.

At least that's what I did.
>>
>>910186
Bertrand Russell’s history of western philosophy, and is super light reading ( i kept it in the bathroom ), I'd read that for an overview and then pick up individual works based on ideas that you find interesting from there.
>>
>>910186
>reading philosophy

Why study a field that hasn't contributed anything to society in the history of ever?
>>
>>910186
>I've already got the works of the Greeks at my disposal, the pre-socratics, Plato, and Aristotle. After I finish those, where do I go from there?

St Augustine, St Aquinas, Descartes, Gödel

Everything else is shit
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.