[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Here's what I think is going on bros: I think existence
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: Sahas-1.jpg (54 KB, 650x634) Image search: [Google]
Sahas-1.jpg
54 KB, 650x634
Here's what I think is going on bros:

I think existence is either

A) the Supreme Brute Fact, an irrational, inexplicable efflorescence of Something into Nothing, and when we die that's it and suffering is a sick joke made by a sick fuck who isn't even there

or

B) if we grant a primacy to consciousness, quality, meaning, beauty, love, whatever you want to call what it is that validates and justifies subjective existence, and if we recognize the remarkable congruence of spiritual testimony across all religions and wisdom traditions, then we are slivers of a transcendent perfection and we are so incredibly lucky to be alive

What do you think?
>>
Can you rewrite that in a way that doesn't make you sound like a bellend, and why you believe these things?
>>
>>909955
>big words must mean woo woo

B-b-back to plebbit
>>
I don't get why A and B are mutually exclusive.

Even if A is objectively true, very few people are going to live their life as if it is true.
>>
That fucking triangle with the red dot in the middle...what the fuck is it?
Has anyone seen it in dreams, or during meditation or a trip?
>>
>>909979
They have to be. It's mutually exclusive as it gets. One is, yo, this shit is just here and that's that deal with it. The other one is, God and love and we are eternal souls and everything happens for a reason and all that jazz.

I mean sure there's way more nuance than that but that's p much it.
>>
>>909994
It's supposed to represent the ultimate structure of reality. The dot is the ineffable Source, the triangle is the Trinity/Trimurti/the highest existences, the petals are the diversity and multiplicity of form all derived from a the single Principle
>>
>>909997
No it's not mutually exclusive, because there are literally several ways to view existence that isn't predicated on axiomatic assumptions like those.

There are atheistic existentialists who believe that meaning in life is possible by a human's own choice, and there were, and probably are religious people who believe the creator of the universe is *literally* evil.(i.e satanist plebs, or Gnostic sects).

You are making it really hard for yourself by viewing reality through such a black and white lens.
>>
>>910007
The atheistic existentialists presuppose view 1. Gnostics nevertheless believe in a transcendent divinity.
>>
>>910017
>The atheistic existentialists presuppose view 1

No they don't, as I tried to make you see. Believing that you can create meaning by yourself means that they are as transcendent as anyone else, they just think that transcendence is humanistic.
>>
>>910002
Ok, cool...so whats the sssymbolism of, say, a circle around the red dot? Or say the dot was white, and there was one horizontal line above it, and one below. What would that represent?
>>
>>909937
Mostly A with a little bit of B. Existence can be beautiful even when it lacks some transcendental meaning and justification. Spirituality can be beautiful even if its only the reverberations of chemical processes back and forth in a fleshy soup.
>>
>>910021
The existentialist maxim is "existence precedes essence". Even in view 2, meaning only comes from subjectivity anyways, so what you're pretty much saying is that existentialism and view 2 are compatible, which I find hard to believe since the whole rationale of existentialism is a reaction to apparent meaninglessness of existence

>>910028
Idk if yore describing you saw, but if I HAD to explain that esoterically, the bounding lines would be the Abyss. In other words, that which prevents the human mind from directly grasping the mystery of God, the place where all cognition, logic, discursive thinking goes to die

>>910032
There's nothing invalidating spiritual experience in view 1 actually, all its saying is that it is not ultimately founded on an originary, spiritual reality.
>>
>>910058
>which I find hard to believe since the whole rationale of existentialism is a reaction to apparent meaninglessness of existence

Which is very ironic to say tbqh, since the founder of Existentialism was a Christian.
>>
File: image001.png (162 KB, 895x254) Image search: [Google]
image001.png
162 KB, 895x254
litmus test
>>
>>909965
>>909937
No really, wtf does that mean man, elaborate or stfu ok
>>
>>910089
True, Kierkegaard's whole Knight of Faith thing is hoping view 2 is real while accepting view 1 probably is
>>
>>910107
Reality is either some shit that happened because it did and that's that or it all means something
>>
File: Knight of Faith.jpg (134 KB, 653x1024) Image search: [Google]
Knight of Faith.jpg
134 KB, 653x1024
>>910113
but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

- Isaiah 40:31
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.