[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will there ever be another Napoleon or Hitler? The world is so
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 10
File: 1445361302749.jpg (3 MB, 3079x5135) Image search: [Google]
1445361302749.jpg
3 MB, 3079x5135
Will there ever be another Napoleon or Hitler? The world is so boring and depressing now without the great wars of Europe. I think human beings need that kind of adventure in our lives, this "post-war era" is killing our spirit.
>>
>>908816
there's plenty of wars and plenty of causes you can sign up for
you won't though, you'll just fantasize because you are just another autistic teen walt
>>
>>908820
I think the entire point of those leaders is that they inspire people to do such
>>
>>908816

Sign for Ucraine, Kurdistan, Raqqa, Afganistan, Sahel...
>>
>>908837
Still missing the point
>>
War has changed. It's no longer about nations, ideologies or ethnicity. It's an endless series of proxy battles, fought by mercenaries and machines. War, and its consumption of life, has become a well-oiled machine. War has changed. ID tagged soldiers carry ID tagged weapons, use ID tagged gear. Nanomachines inside their bodies enhance and regulate their abilities. Genetic control. Information control. Emotion control. Battlefield control. Everything is monitored, and kept under control. War has changed. The age of deterrence has become the age of control. All in the name of averting catastrophe from weapons of mass destruction. And he who controls the battlefield, controls history. War has changed. When the battlefield is under total control, war... becomes routine.
>>
>>908854

Thanks for enlightening us A.I. Roy Cambell.
>>
>>908816
IKTF man. god i wish there was some grand movement with a Nietzschean strongman as its leader i could attach myself to. there is some politcal unrest here in Europe/Netherlands but mostly its dumb right wing populists who have none of the intelligence,vision and charisma you want to rally behind.
Ive seen articles saying that this is a big reason why alot of EU immigrants go to syria, they cant deal with post-modern individual live with no grander spiritual goals.
>>
>>908832
What, inspiring people by enacting conscription? Get a grip.
>>
>>908862

No wait fuck, I can't remember who was saying that same particular thing at the time.
>>
>>908850

That you are one of those crybabies that complains about no mandatory military service but who does not want to enlist?
>>
>>908862
LOL
>>
>>908816
This will trigger the reddit fags who've invaded /his/ lately.
>>
>>908816
Why don't you just go have an adventure? Backpack across your continent of choice or something.
>>
>>908850
I am doing my mandatory service as we speek and it's fucking pointless.
>>
>>908816
Vote for trump. There'll be plenty of fighting to be had.
>>
>>909817
Will he be crowned as American Emperor or Emperor of America?
>>
>>909817
Trump VS. Putin is the fight I wanna see.
>>
Nuclear bombs, so nope.
>>
>>909956
Trump and Putin are bros. China is the real enemy.
>>
>>910033
Doubt they actually are, Putin is probably endorsing him just so he can actually be liked in the west and Trump is doing this to get more votes.
>>
File: 1848 france.jpg (215 KB, 1250x624) Image search: [Google]
1848 france.jpg
215 KB, 1250x624
>>908816
>mfw some french intellectuals said the same thing prior to the first world war
>i bet they regret that
>>
>>910101
>to support Trump to be liked on the west
How much of an american are you to think this way?
Did you mean usa west coast or what we call Occident?
>>
File: 1458600024041.jpg (12 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1458600024041.jpg
12 KB, 225x225
>>908816
>being slaughtered by the thousands
>adventure
>>
>>910119
US of course, in the big picture I really don't think Putin cares that much about his image in Western Europe or the US, more so he cares about his image a lot more in Eastern Europe and more importantly Russia but I feel little effort is actually required in endorsing Trump compared to actually looking after your global image hence why if Trump does win he will a lot more influence in the US then compared to now for minimal effort.
>>
>>908816

>tfw there is a substantial portion of the population that unironically holds this viewpoint, and then whines about muh PTSD or muh injuries after learning that real war is like Call of Duty

There's a reason the Red Badge of Courage is mandatory reading in so many schools. If anything, we should force kids to read MORE books about how war is dumb.
>>
>>908816
Why do people always compare based Napoleon with fucking Hitler?
>>
>>910823
what's the difference between them?
>>
>>910823
Most people aren't really educated in history, anon
>>
>>910837
Did Napoleon believe in eugenics and genocide?
>>
>>910840
Nope 'just' perpetual warfare.
>>
>>910864
So we already have definitive evidence he is morally superior to racists like Hitler then.
>>
>>910878
I'm sure he believed in eugenics and genocide. It's kind of hard to disbelieve their existence.
>>
>>908816
Yes, me
>>
>>908816
Become a leader or speaker for the far right movement in Europe right now. They are on the rise and joining one of their political parties is the fastest and safest bet to rise to power right now. Help them remove kebab from Europe.
Why wait for someone else to incite war when you can do it yourself?
>>
>>908816
Yes, give it another 200 years, when advances in technology start to wreak major havoc. 3D printing, cloning, robotics, cyborgs and cybernetics, etc. We're gonna have ourselves a disaster eventually, when some serious wingnut produces an army of T-1000s.
>>
>I've never been in, been even remotely close to or studied any nonfictious war in my entire life
>>
>>908816

EMPEROR
M
P
E
R
O
R

TRUMP
R
U
M
P
>>
>>910899
Eugenics weren't a thing in Western/Northern Europe until about 50-60 years later well after Napoleon's defeat at Waterloo, anon.
>>
>>908816
You're just a fucking weak piece of shit begging to be dominated. What you don't realize is that democracy means that your politicians represent you; the nullity of those in power represent the baseness of the person you are, as much as of the general mediocre mankind.
>>
>>908868
It was Old Snake
>>
>>908816
maybe. but he won't be white
>>
File: Stop doing this to us.jpg (38 KB, 500x555) Image search: [Google]
Stop doing this to us.jpg
38 KB, 500x555
>Random Frenchman, 1914: It's been 44 years since the Germans humiliated us. I want war!

>Random German, 1914: Germany strong! Germany over all! Smash the French and the British, this peace is doing us no favors!

>Random Brit, 1914: That bastard Hun is up to know good. This peace is just making them stronger and us weaker. We need a war to show those Huns whose the boss.

4 years later

>Random Frenchman, 1918: Dear God, I just want to go home.

>Random German, 1918: Dear God, I just want to go home.

>Random Englishman, 1918: Dear God, I just want to go home.

We'll always glorify the big war as OP does. And we'll always hate it when we get it.
>>
>>912404
>>Random Frenchman, 1914: It's been 44 years since the Germans humiliated us. I want war!
i genuinely doubted a random frenchman would be likely to say that considering they had put into power a leftist government that was incredibly antiwar and antimilitary in the elections just before the war
>>
>>912409

Revanchism was alive and well in France in 1914 regardless of the government in power. When it all started tumbling, the common French citizen was ready to fight, even if their government was woefully unprepared.
>>
>>912409
You baguette suckers are the most warmongering people in Europe
>>
>>908923
Are you Israeli?
>>
File: 1386874943318.png (94 KB, 396x385) Image search: [Google]
1386874943318.png
94 KB, 396x385
>>908816
Quit glorifying war you fucking cunt.
>>
>>912480
Both anglos and germans are far more war hungry.
>anglos start a near global war over us
>germans do that twice
>fucking filthy french always fighting us!
>>
>>908816
There are tons of people like that. But they need an opportunity to rise and the western world is far too stable for that.
>>
>>912729

Napoleon wuz a gud boi. he dindu nuffin. he wuz jus getting dat money 4 dem programs.
>>
>>912409
Serbian militiamen fondly remembered the 1389 battle of Kosovo, and its stories colour their perception of kebab
It's a bit strange a concept, but folks care about events from before their birth.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (67 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
67 KB, 640x480
Who will be the Rudolf von Goldenbaum of real life?

Will the west ever come to shun liberal democracy and usher in a dictator to purge corruption and the parasitic wealthy elite?
>>
>>908816
It's ok OP
in 20 years there will be defense systems that get rid of nuclear detterence from wars
>>
File: 1443760650858.jpg (827 KB, 1494x831) Image search: [Google]
1443760650858.jpg
827 KB, 1494x831
>>908816
It sure is nice living in such comfy societies that we can say things like this.
>>
>>912404
It's sad, isn't it? It's been three generations since world war 2 now. Society has almost forgotten the horror of total war. People are becoming less humanitarian and the far right is back on the rise. All the lessons of the past are being discarded. Are we doomed as a species to repeat this cycle?
>>
>>913547
the far right has a job that need finishing

until then we wont have peace
>>
>>908816
>Boring
Eh I suppose you could see it like that

>Depressing
Yeah, nah.
>>
>>908837
>spelling Ukraine with a c

Literal retard
>>
>>910823
They both 'did stuff'.
That's the single best way to be remembered in history. The more stuff you do, or the more influence the stuff you do has, the more likely you'll be remembered.
>>
>>910823
Because they were both manlets from shitty loser countries who rose up in the ranks to become leaders, did great for a couple of years and then got royally BTFO. They're basically the same person.
>>
>>913640
Yet they where so different in so many ways as men

nice try anon
>>
>>913673
List the ways.
>>
>>913547
the problem here isnt "the far right" bogeeyman.
Right now, that far right wants just as much confort and peace as your average "humanitarian". They just have a different idea on how to achieve it, and it surely doesnt involve a complete global meltdown into meaningless globalist liberalism.
>>
>>913735
Its not a matter of listing traits

Its there character , emotions , temperament and insecurity's that differ. They where different men , however there rise and fall bare some similarity apart from the fact that Hitler was a politician then a military man and napoleon was a military man first then a politician (of sorts)
>>
>>913784
>character , emotions , temperament and insecurity's

All of that is non-tangible, arbitrary shit.

>Hitler was a politician then a military man

Hitler was literally a WW1 veteran who fought at Ypres and Somme.
>>
File: 1421025481008.png (134 KB, 334x393) Image search: [Google]
1421025481008.png
134 KB, 334x393
>>913800
>non-tangible
you're retarded
>Hitler was literally a WW1 veteran
DUDE LITERALLY! but seriously anyone would agree that Hitler was a politician and not a man of military, so what if he fought in the war? most men did of his age in Europe.Napoleon was reading 1000p books on military at the age of 10
>>
>>913890
>you're retarded
You have no argument. "They were different emotionally" is non-tangible shit. What matters are their actions and not their feefees.

You also strike me as a Napoleon fanboy and thus inherently biased.
>>
>>913900
>he said it again
intangible mate
>>
>>913906
Both are valid words.
>>
>>913907
You're right, mea culpa.
>>
>>908816
People fail to realize that there's a practical for there having been no big wars as of WWII. Biggest wars have been either proxies or superpowers intervening in small sometimes internal conflicts.

The reason is nuclear weapons. Nuclear weapons have brought about a de-escalation of war. A kind of devolution resulting from the fact that every participant in a conflict is pretty much forced by his own interests to keep conflicts from escalating into something that would cross the threshold required for nuclear weapons to start being profitable in net damage caused.

Using a nuclear weapon has a high cost in that it:
>runs the risk of isolating you from the rest of the world politically
>runs the risk of needlessly escalating a conflict
>escalation can also mean an all out nuclear war

Therefore their use becomes viable only in extreme circumstances, like that of Germany at the end of WWII, or that of Saddam Hussein during the Second Gulf War.

If your goal is to annex a country or occupy lands, nuclear strike would be counterproductive. However if your survival is at stake, everything becomes viable because it would shuffle the board that would otherwise be stacked against you.

And that's why there have been no major wars since WWII; it is preferable to retain the current status quo without getting too much negative attention to yourself and only involving yourself in smaller, sometimes even covert conflicts as opposed to risking a nuclear world war the outcome of which would be absolutely unpredictable. So every side seeks to better their situation with small steps as opposed to great leaps.

You only want to use something with an unpredictable outcome when the current situation you're in is doomed, and this is when it gets dangerous because the cost of nuclear weapons and escalation in general become irrelevant.

We won't see a huge war in a long time unless one side fucks something majorly up.
>>
>>913982
I would also like to add that some people would like to claim that the lack of major wars can be attributed to our reaching of this "information age" in which 'battles are fought for minds by using all media outlets imaginable' and whatnot, but that's bullshit.

There is no such thing as an information age and were it not for nuclear weapons major wars wouldn't be so lacking in their cost effectiveness and hence would be seen more often.
>>
>>913640
>Napoleon
>manlet
Britbong spotted
>>
>>914001
He was though , loads of people describe him as short in writing.He was even nicknamed the Little Corporal in his first war , which he enjoyed i might add
>>
>>913991
What would you say if I said that populations being extremely anti-war in the west in the modern era would become very problematic for states engaging in non-nuclear war?
>>
>>914341
>Confusion about his height also results from the difference between the French pouce and British inch—2.71 and 2.54 cm respectively; he was about 1.7 metres (5 ft 7 in) tall, which is above average for the period (for example, the average height of an English male was 165 cm (5 ft 5 in))

>Napoleon surrounded himself with tall bodyguards and had a nickname of le petit caporal which was an affectionate term that reflected his reported camaraderie with his soldiers rather than his height.
>>
>>914341
No one does except in British propaganda. He was the same height as the average European in Southern or Western Europe.

Stop shoveling this shit.
>>
>>914341
Get off /his/ for the love of god.
>>
>>914355
>>914356
>>914368
Calm down

If hes not tall then he's short , why are you so angry
>>
>>914356
>No one does except in British propaganda
wrong
>>914368
brush your teeth
>>
>>914001
Napoleon was not short, he was at the average height back then.
So yeah open a book and stop believing everything you see on the internet kid.
>>
>>914382
Wrong, retard.
>>
File: 1392227240069.jpg (147 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1392227240069.jpg
147 KB, 960x720
>>913982
>>913991
I wouldn't say other explanations for the lack of war between great powers are total bullshit, but you are right in that nuclear weapons are clearly the main reason. Economic interdependence, a less nationalistic and more globalised citizenry, and other reasons definitely contribute to our era of relative peace. But in the end I agree, nuclear weapons absolutely prevented world war 3 between the USSR and the USA. Although as we know two or three times the entire human race almost got wiped out because of them.

There's also the question of liberal democracies not going to war with each other. I wrote a paper on this when I was at university, and I remember the research I saw reached a fairly convincing conclusion that while democracies fight autocracies regularly, democracies go to war with other democracies much more rarely. Although, because the advent of democracy didn't become near-universal until the latter 20th century, you could possibly attribute that to other factors rather than system of government - like nukes or economic interdependence - BUT the same holds true for nations that aren't nuclear powers. Democracies do seem to war with each other at a vastly lower rate.

However, nothing lasts forever. Eventually one nation will invent a reliable missile shield (I imagine a technology which stops >95% of nukes will be enough) and when mutually assured destruction is no longer likely, war between great powers will be back.

The question is, will that be before we expand into space as a species, before we unite as a world with sovereignty ceded to a one world government, or before we wipe each other out accidentally with the nukes?
>>
>>914404
Do autocracies go to war with other autocracies more than do other democracies?

And how big is the data pool for this research, anyway' Do you just list wars in the last two centuries and see who the participants were?
>>
>>914421
It was many years ago so my memory is foggy, I can only remember the general conclusions I drew. Sorry. It wasn't perfect because correlation doesn't mean causation, it's hard to separate other factors from the issue, and liberal democracy only really became the majority system of government for nations relatively recently on a grand scale.
>>
>The world is so boring and depressing now
no

you might be bored and depressed but that has nothing to do with the rest of the world
>>
>>914404
>the entire human race almost got wiped out because of [nukes]
when will this meme end?

Also what are your thoughts on India vs. Pakistan? Both democracies (limited in the latter case but nonetheless) but they have fought numerous wars, some while neither had nukes, some while India had them, and some while both did.
>>
>>914398
Call me a retard all you want

People other then the British described him as short ,your the one insecure here
>>
>>914463
Here's your (You)
>>
>>910864
but most of the wars Napoleon fought in were declared by other countries against France
>>
>>908864
Where is Pim Fortuyn ;_;
>>
>>908816
>Will there ever be another Napoleon or Hitler? The world is so boring and depressing now without the great wars of Europe. I think human beings need that kind of adventure in our lives, this "post-war era" is killing our spirit.

You ungrateful fucking millenial piece of shit, if you're so interested in total war, go fucking read about it instead of wishing for the deaths of millions of people.

Peace has been hard won in the West, instead of enjoying it you post this dribble? We live in an age of miraculous technological advancement and this is all you can come up with? Go fuck yourself up your pathetic ass and be thankful for your betters.
>>
>>910205
But muh violence solves everything.
>>
>>908816
Go move to Syria and enjoy the wartime spirit there.
>>
>>914373
>either you're totally positive or totally negative
>nothing in the middle
>>
>>914373
/fit/ please go
>>
>>913756
This. In the end it will result in globalism powers vs nationalist powers. The same way as WWII was democracy vs fascism vs communism.

War will unfortunately come, hopefully with some machine against A and H bombs.
>>
>>914533
>thinking WWII was an idelogic war of democracy against fascism
>still beliving in war's propaganda in 2016
>being this fag

it's always about economy, fag, economy e nation's power.

ideology is nothing.
>>
>>914404
>reliable missile shield
>95 %
U.S. throws 1000 nukes at you, 50 get through

Also nukes can be thrown from various location. It can be dropped from a plane, fired from their home country and even fired from satellites. Nuclear deterrence will always exist.
>>
>>914582
also because until 1938 western leaders liked hitler and his policy, UK was really well disposed toward germany
>>
>>914582
Ofc it was the economy. But how are you going to mobilize millions of people? By telling them that the other country made you unemployed?
>>
I pine for ww3
>>
>>914467
Read a book and stop getting 'facts' off of Wikipedia and Google
>>
>>914619
I've read a lot of books on Napoleon, and no, he was not often 'described as short'.
>>
>>914619
I have, perfidious Britbong. You're still trying to sell bullshit.
>>
>>914600
nowaday i think that "they're making us poor" would be far more effective than the "they don't have democratic elections in their country!"

also all the parts involved in the WWII acted because of the fear to be annihilated by the counterpart, allied because nazis were occuping their homes and nazis because they felt in right to control europe.

no one could care less about democracy or fascism, americans signed for army because they wanted to protect their country, not because democracy
>>
>>914680
Because germans would invade america..

>they're making us poor
I wonder if trump will use it for the Great Mexican-American war.
>>
>>910101
Putin endorses Trump, because his victory would lead to a more isolationist stance, thus increasing Russia's influence in Europe.
>>
>>914585
>U.S. throws 1000 nukes at you, 50 get through
Good point. I guess a reliable defence would stop all but a handful of lucky nukes.

>Also nukes can be thrown from various location. It can be dropped from a plane, fired from their home country and even fired from satellites. Nuclear deterrence will always exist.
Nothing lasts forever. Nothing. Eventually a technology will exist that breaks down the MAD paradigm. Whether it's some sort of orbital interception laser grid, or a way to disarm the warheads instantly, an energy shield - we might not even be able to conceptualise it now - eventually, after a hundred, two hundred, a thousand years - it WILL exist. Or the assumed conditions will be different enough to make nukes irrelevant. What if the fighting nations aren't just located on Earth, but have cities in space, other planets, moons etc?

You're right in that MAD will exist for the forseeable future.
>>
>>914724
>eventually, after a hundred, two hundred, a thousand years - it WILL exist.

But then wouldn't you also reach weapons that are similar to todays nukes ? Seems like a cyclical situation.
>>
>>908854
War never changes
>>
>>914735
>Seems like a cyclical situation

I'm the guy who he replied to. You'll probably have an interperiod between MAD. Hopefully none of them will be to destructive.
>>
>>914690
their allies, japanese, were going always closer to US
>>
More evidence that pretty much everyone left on 4chan is a beta manchild desperately craving an authoritarian daddy to tell them what to do.
>>
>>914483
People learn and grow stronger through suffering. Think of the countless disasters and hardships Europeans had suffered in the last 3000+ years. Tragedy is a beautiful topic that feel needs exploring and something cathartic we've forgotten.
>>
>>908816
yes, me
just give me like 5 years
>>
>>914835
Japanese didn't want to invade Japan. Only to secure their interests in the Pacific.
>>
>>914872
Libertarians left long time ago.
>>
>>914906
yeah, and I thought libertarians were the worst thing until they left and revealed all the fascist-worshipping morons

Laissez-faire types are total idiots, but totalitarians are reprehensible to boot
>>
>>908816
i personally think that with all the atom bombs there will be no more great war, not in europa and not anywhere. and i also personally think that this is the reason why people are getting so pussy-like. i mean social justice warriors, more genders than 2? wtf people totally lost the touch to whats really important, food,a home, family and decent work to live. and in my opionion this is because no one knows anymore what it is to be in a really shitty environment. i mean in the western world. but maybe i´m wrong and i´m just as embittered as all old people in the past who are looking at the youth^^ but hey i dont care, all civilizations are doomed, why not ours as well
>>
>>914927
>West pussifies
>russia and china takes over

Cultural Marxism not even once.
>>
>>915249
All according to the keikaku
>>
>>914001
Hitler wasn't a manlet either. All of the pictures depicting him as such are cherry picked.
>>
>>908816
JOHN KASICH WILL MAKE THE COLD WAR HOT AGAIN

DRAFT MILLENIALS, BOOTS IN IRAQ, BOOTS IN SYRIA, BOOTS IN UKRAINE, BOOTS IN NORTH KOREA.
Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.