[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Redpill me on the Normans /his/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: 8-the_normans[2].preview.jpg (68 KB, 640x477) Image search: [Google]
8-the_normans[2].preview.jpg
68 KB, 640x477
Redpill me on the Normans /his/
>>
French people in Normandy
Were far more based than the vikings who contributed slightly to their lineage
>>
>>907647
kek if not for the Norsemen Normandy would be just another irrelevant French province
>>
>>907647
>descended from Norse
>vocabulary influenced by Norse language
>culture of conquest inherited from their Norse progenitors

Why can't Surrenderfags just admit they were a unique subculture of French?
>>
>>907642
Why is there someone with a turban in the background
>>
>>907676
Sicily was full of Muslims in the 11th-12th century.
>>
>>907677
I know that, but why is he there
>>
>>907694
Because they were used and hired archers.
>>
>>907694
Mercenaries.
>>
>>907721
Legions of Haradrim from the South
>>
File: Norman kingdoms.jpg (70 KB, 640x499) Image search: [Google]
Norman kingdoms.jpg
70 KB, 640x499
>>907642
Their hobbies include the creation of states.
>>
>>907754
And trying to repeatedly conquer the Byzantine Empire.
>>
>>907647
What was Normandy even called before Norse settled there?
>>
File: 03-norman-cavalry.jpg (142 KB, 615x640) Image search: [Google]
03-norman-cavalry.jpg
142 KB, 615x640
They were good French warriors that managed to conquer England
>>
>>907816
Angleland is such a shithole:

>conquered by Romans
>conquered by Angles, Saxons and Jutes
>conquered by Norsemen
>conquered by Normans
>conquered by Dutch
>>
>>907830
>conquered by norsemen
>conquered by dutch
no
>>
>>907836
>Knut the Great didn't conquer England
>Glorious Revolution by William III's Dutch fleet didn't happen
>>
File: FrankishEmp.jpg (230 KB, 1022x760) Image search: [Google]
FrankishEmp.jpg
230 KB, 1022x760
>>907813
>What was Normandy even called before Norse settled there?
>>
>>907845
>>Glorious Revolution by William III's Dutch fleet didn't happen

It's not really conquering if it follows an explicit invitation.
>>
>>907875
You're right that's even worse
>>
>>907875
So the Germans never conquered Norway?
>>
>>907873
>And all of Gaul lay under rule of the Romans except for one Gaulish village in Armorica...
>>
>>908268

But thats the Frankish Realm.
>>
>>907875
>it's not conquering if you surrender early enough
>>
Prime example of the Romanesque Era French spirit of conquest, another such example being the Crusades.
>>
>>907656
>French provinces
>Irrelevant (back then)
>>
>>907658
t. buttmad anglo
>>
>>907845
Knut didn't conquer England, he got England through succession.

>Glorious revolution
Protestant English population didn't like their Catholic king so they invited a protestant king over
>>
>>908402
Well Svein conquered most of it, then died. Cnut inherited everything but Wessex, which he subsequently inherited after Edmund Ironside's death.
But in the end, yes, the Norse did conquer and rule England for a good while. So you are wrong.
>>
>>907656
Nigga Anjou is even smaller than Normandy and it became the most powerful house in Europe at one point.
>>
>>908387
Only burgers believe the cheese-eating surrender monkeys meme, anon. The british have been fighting them for most of both countries' history, and recognise it for the meme it is.
>>
File: reeeee cat.jpg (72 KB, 720x690) Image search: [Google]
reeeee cat.jpg
72 KB, 720x690
>redpill me
This phrase should be an autoban on /his/, or at least word-filtered to "fuck my anus"
>>
>>908488
It's already bannable to create "redpill me on X" threads on /pol/ so it most certainly should be bannable elsewhere.
>>
>>907676
WE
>>
>>908876
WUZ
>>
>>908488
This, I'd love if "redpill me" was filtered to "herp derp I'm a faggot".
>>
>>907642
People of the north origins in the Danes and Jutes. Came south mostly looting and doing mercenary work until they figured they could own some shit. Took French and Italian lands and then went looting again. After a while some sexy sonofabitch named William went conquering England then looted the place. Somehow this lead to the England under Norman rule ruling Normandy, I cannot tell you how that came about. Eventually this lead to the Normans becoming normals and their lineage integrating into northern French and English identities.
>>
>>908488
Ever seen The Matrix?
>>
>>907642
Viking settlers and their descendants who continued their good old way, ie. trading, colonizing, raiding and battling their ways to seats of power.
>>
>>909019
> trading, colonizing
Are we confusing Varangians and Vikings again?
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.