[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the history between Americans becoming such disgusting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7
File: kermit.jpg (4 KB, 300x226) Image search: [Google]
kermit.jpg
4 KB, 300x226
What is the history between Americans becoming such disgusting hams?

I understand why Polynesians are so fat. They seem to have legitimately evolved better fat retention over thousands of years due to bottlenecks from long sea voyages and droughts on their islands. But Americans emigrated from Europe fairly recently, from an evolutionary perspective, so it must be their environment. But what exactly?
>>
>>906028
the advent of fast food, corn subsidies, and the ever faster pace of modern life.
>>
polynesians being fat is a post-colonial health problem caused by high glucose western food
>>
Their food. Man, they eat egg and bacon for breakfast, that's gross.
>>
>>906069
>Man, they eat egg and bacon for breakfast, that's gross.
I thought all Western nations did this.
>>
>>906028
They have an over abundance of shitty food and they drive everywhere. Americans won't even take a five minute walk.
>>
>>906048

Polynesians being fat is an intersection of post-colonial foods (like SPAM and chicken butts) and genetics.
>>
>>906095
they drive everywhere because its the only way to get anywhere.
>>
Why do Americans smell so bad? Is it a form of political protest?
>>
>>906028
http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/medals
>>
>>906093
Nope, it's anglo stuff.
The rest of europe and south america eat bread, butter, fruits, coffee and slight food.
>>
>>906134
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Summer_Olympics_medal_table
>>
>>906143
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Summer_Olympics_medal_table
>>
>>906134

The US having a bunch of good athletes doesn't disprove their obesity statistics any more than the US having a bunch of billionaires disproves their massive student debts.

Also please don't reply to my post, I don't like talking to subhumans any more than I have to thankyouverymuch.
>>
>>906148
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Summer_Olympics_medal_table
>>
>>906134
>>906143
>>906148
>olympic athletes are comparable to the average person
wew
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_drink#History
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_food_restaurant#History
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_food#History
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_fructose_corn_syrup#History
>>
File: Meanwhile-in-Britain.jpg (87 KB, 594x424) Image search: [Google]
Meanwhile-in-Britain.jpg
87 KB, 594x424
>>906150
That Fine, I just Hid and Reported yours, the feelings mutual.
>>
File: mfw draw.png (71 KB, 592x492) Image search: [Google]
mfw draw.png
71 KB, 592x492
>>906159
>In the US, sugar tariffs and quotas keep imported sugar at up to twice the global price since 1797,[25][26] while subsidies to corn growers cheapen the primary ingredient in HFCS, corn. Industrial users looking for cheaper replacements rapidly adopted HFCS in the 1970s.[27][28]

>Vending machine proponents believe that obesity is a complex issue and soft drinks are not the only cause.[79] They also note the immense amount of funding that soft drink sales bring to schools.

>mfw Americans are fat because their shitty government gives benefits to corporations
>>
File: mfw distort.jpg (102 KB, 746x500) Image search: [Google]
mfw distort.jpg
102 KB, 746x500
>>906164

>Amerilards report people for bullying because it hurts their feefees

Sorry, I'll stop now. I'm sure this exchange has left you winded and has caused much consternation in your cholesterol-encrusted heart.
>>
BMI is a flawed measurement and the prevalence of 'obesity' in the US is due to us having a higher proportion of bodybuilders.
>>
File: 1431288148216.jpg (31 KB, 388x532) Image search: [Google]
1431288148216.jpg
31 KB, 388x532
>>906215
>>
>>906225

Laugh all you want, skeltal. You're just jelly of my gains.
>>
>>906179
>mfw in my liberal shithole school, the vending machines only sold diet soda
>mfw the school programmed them to only sell after school hours because there was a law against having private corporations directly compete with the cafeteria people for money
>>
Eisenhower got a heart attack so there was a debate whether the cause was fat or sugars. Fat was blamed and sugar became king and then transfats came along and stuck it's fatty hands around America.

Modern man can't process this much sugar. Your liver is incapable of doing so without having to immediately turn it to fat.
>>
File: tricked!.jpg (48 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
tricked!.jpg
48 KB, 400x400
>>906028
See

>>906245
I rarely see """diet""" soft drinks mentioned outside burgerland, maybe they actually believe it's better than common versions and drink more of it?
>>
>>906298
We have them in the UK but only fat people drink them. I drank Coke Zero for a while until I was told that it doesn't actually make any difference to your teeth.
>>
>>906298
It's got less calories but is still fucking awful for you. And a lot of people don't understand the very basic principle of calories in/calories out, so some people get diet soda, and then get an even bigger, less healthy meal because they believe it will cancel out.
>>
>>906028
How is this related to history or humanities? This sounds more like a /pol/ topic desu.
>>
>>906548

Amerilard detected.
>>
>>906040
heh. the faster the pace the fatter the waist
>>
>>906142
>having time to eat breakfast

HA! Enjoy your happy life loser... Ohh...
>>
>>906548
more like /int/, our new overlords
>>
>>906028
Dutchfag here but I have visited the US a bit. Americans drive everywhere, literally everywhere. There are only about four proper cities were you can actually walk like a real human to get around. Everyone lives in this massive sprawling suburbs and the suburbs don't have sidewalks because no one walks and it's just not normal.
>>
our dairy products and meats are pumped full of growth hormones. Fruit and vegetable prices are artificially inflated so that junk food is vastly cheaper. Seeds are copyrighted by corporations to keep unaltered food out of groceries. Corn byproduct HFCS is in literally ALL of our food, including breads, juice and pasta, which is high octane sugar. also everyone (EVERYONE) drinks soda.
Not to mention social movements and absentee parents that encourage a lack of education in healthy eating

Of course we have an obesity problem
>>
>>906028
Sugar in everything.

Wheat 3/4ths of the FDA meal recommendation.

Both of which are pretty much poison if you lead a sedentary lifestyle, which most Amerifats do.

Also we drink a lotta milk, and lactose also turns into sugar if you are sedentary.

Couple that with fluoride poisoning and sugar substitutes messing up everyone's endocrine systems.

Genetics has nothing to do with it - there's a lot of ethnicities in America, and they are all fatter than their counterparts in other nations.

Or, if you want the tinfoil marketing version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQr5PMSqkSk
(Which is largely bullshit, but is spot on with some basic historical points.)
>>
>>906028
Shit nutrition in garbage diet. People don't feel full from all the crap that's in regular brands, so they eat more of it than they should. Add in lack of exercise and people bloat.
>>
>>906028

It's mostly diet, not exercise that is the problem. If they restricted, taxed, and pushed against big soda like they did cigarettes, much of the problem would have been solved.
>>
>>906848
nanny staters fuck off.
>>
>>906867

Lel people are lemmings. It's up to the self conscious elites to change the stampede to the right direction.
>>
>>906867
NTG, but I don't have an issue with the state *taxing* people who distribute unhealthy food that bring extra cost to society, to a certain extent, and certainly no issue with the state educating the masses as to the detrimental folks of certain foods, and thus require such foods be explicitly labeled.

At the same time, I do have a problem with the state making anything ingestible *illegal* and feel that it's morally reprehensible to dictate what an adult can and cannot choose to ingest. Even in those rare instances where it makes irresponsible, destructive, or even illegal behavior statistical more likely, you're effectively punishing people for *potential* criminal behavior, while creating a black market that guarantees criminal behavior and corruption on a scale that no epidemic spread of the substance in question ever could.
>>
>>906886
how euphoric
>>
>>90690

heh... nothing personnel... kid...
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.