[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Jousting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: Jousting.jpg (146 KB, 806x515) Image search: [Google]
Jousting.jpg
146 KB, 806x515
Would you watch Jousting if it was broadcast on TV?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWVZgp-eQG8

Are there any other historical sports you would like to see return?
>>
>>905331
That guy at the end was seriously lucky the lance broke.
>>
The Aztec ball game!
>>
>>905350
aye, his neck twisted in a nasty way when he took the hit
>>
>>905376
Why not?
>>
>>905331
No. I don't watch TV.
>>
File: hipster-subkultur.jpg (79 KB, 500x618) Image search: [Google]
hipster-subkultur.jpg
79 KB, 500x618
>>905392
t. Snooty McFauxintellectual
>>
>>905331

The fact that full metal jousting wasn't a bigger hit is a clue about how popular live jousting on TV would be.

You can watch most jousting tournaments a few days later on youtube anyway.
>>
>>905423
Yeah but what if you had a decent promoter behind it, broadcasting it live, from a stadium, hyping it up the guys and making characters from them. Totally different atmosphere to a reality TV show. Just think how MMA was viewed before UFC
>>
Weren't the jousting events sometimes really theatrical with really ridiculous costumes and dwarves acting as "Bastard of Burgundy" and such
>>
File: 1 (3).jpg (412 KB, 1500x844) Image search: [Google]
1 (3).jpg
412 KB, 1500x844
>>905331
That looks pretty silly to me since they're using fake equipment and flimsy lances.

Take a look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPrIVEGioU0
>>
>>905331
I don't like play fighting shit. If it were legit, i would watch it, but the problem is that it would need to have an element of danger to be legit, and nobody wants that
>>
File: 2 (3).jpg (2 MB, 3768x2936) Image search: [Google]
2 (3).jpg
2 MB, 3768x2936
>>907194
Jousting is inherently dangerous. Historically, lots of people died during jousts and it only became safer during the late middle ages when they introduced more safety equipment.

Of course that didn't keep people from practising more dangerous types of joust, such as the "Pfannenrennen" (pan-race) where they'd joust with sharpened war tips on their lances, attempting to hit a reinforced metal pan on their opponent's chest in order to dismount him.

Pre-requisite for participation was that they'd bring a coffin though, that was to be placed next to the track to have it ready just in case.
>>
>>907108
the cringe .....
>>
>>908073

What are you cringing at?
>>
>>908085
He is a faggot that have hoped on the use of cringe in hopes that other fgts who use the word will agree
>>
He'll yeah, I would. I'm honestly surprised it isn't more popular here in America, but it isn't shoved down our throats like other sports so no one will care. I think that's one of the problems with modern people; if you're not told to care about something you won't.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.